Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 12:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It's not a ridiculous comment, it's an observed reality. In most families, the females handle the close physical care of dying. And when there are no daughters, people often get hired.

VERY FEW MALES wipe their mom's or dad's behind when they are 90 and in hospice and the plumbing no longer works.

I did not say guys can't do it, or never do it. I said they usually don't do it. The females in most families end up picking up this end of things. I have seen it a thousand times.

By the way, all people on this forum should come out of hiding and post under their real names. What are y'all afraid of? I don't really give a damn if my opinions lose me business. And by the way, my "radical" opinions, which are really common sense, have gotten me many clients from this forum. Believe it or not, some people actually want a rational and tough agent! Even in the "feelings based" PC BS society we have degraded ourselves into becoming.
What a crock, I don't know of anyone who works for themselves who believes that.

You also ignored my question as to what happens when there are no daughters. You do know that some families are all boys.

While it might be true that more women than men do hands on caregiving, there are plenty of male caregivers.

Why are you even on here? Have you done or are you doing caregiving?

And you're foolish to use your real name when you work for yourself. Don't tell me someone who works on commission doesn't care about losing business.

Just an FYI, a couple of years back someone who used their real name on CD had another poster show up at their home and threaten them. This happened on the FL boards.

Lot of nice people post on here as well as some whackos. Not too bright to use your real name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 01:22 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What a crock, I don't know of anyone who works for themselves who believes that.

You also ignored my question as to what happens when there are no daughters. You do know that some families are all boys.

While it might be true that more women than men do hands on caregiving, there are plenty of male caregivers.

Why are you even on here? Have you done or are you doing caregiving?

And you're foolish to use your real name when you work for yourself. Don't tell me someone who works on commission doesn't care about losing business.

Just an FYI, a couple of years back someone who used their real name on CD had another poster show up at their home and threaten them. This happened on the FL boards.

Lot of nice people post on here as well as some whackos. Not too bright to use your real name.
Calm yourself down and stop personalizing. Stay on topic instead of attacking those with whom you have a different opinion. I have definite opinions on the role of women in caregiving, and it exalts them and recognizes their superiority over males in this activity. And I did answer your question. If there are no women available in the family unit caring for the sick individual, then men can and must pick up the slack. But there is slack. Women are better at caregiving than men. Period.

I have been on here for 7 years giving my strong opinions under my real name. It hasn't hurt my business and it won't. Except for a certain class of people who totally disagree with me and with whom I would not want to do business anyway.

You should delete your account and either not give any opinions at all, or give them under your real name and stop being afraid. As we move forward with Internet evolution, anonymous forums should disappear and people should man up and step forward with their opinions and not be afraid of the consequences of free speech. That's what makes my country great, and that's how I roll. I also am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment and would instruct whackos who want to meet me to become very familiar with element number 82 in the periodic table, symbol Pb.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Calm yourself down and stop personalizing. Stay on topic instead of attacking those with whom you have a different opinion. I have definite opinions on the role of women in caregiving, and it exalts them and recognizes their superiority over males in this activity. And I did answer your question. If there are no women available in the family unit caring for the sick individual, then men can and must pick up the slack. But there is slack. Women are better at caregiving than men. Period.

I have been on here for 7 years giving my strong opinions under my real name. It hasn't hurt my business and it won't. Except for a certain class of people who totally disagree with me and with whom I would not want to do business anyway.

You should delete your account and either not give any opinions at all, or give them under your real name and stop being afraid. As we move forward with Internet evolution, anonymous forums should disappear and people should man up and step forward with their opinions and not be afraid of the consequences of free speech. That's what makes my country great, and that's how I roll. I also am a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment and would instruct whackos who want to meet me to become very familiar with element number 82 in the periodic table, symbol Pb.
LOL, calm myself down? Whose upset. I'm not.

You're the one who took this thread off topic by insisting that only women should be doing caregiving.

You totally contradicted yourself, first you said you didn't care if this impacted your business, now you're saying it doesn't. Make up your mind.

Than you say as we move forward into the Internet evolution, yet you have values from the 1950s regarding women....LOL.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:35 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
I haven't read any of the responses but there's one thing that has always bothered me about children who don't take care of their elderly parents while their siblings do. Don't expect everything in the will to be divided equally if you don't put in the time, effort, or money.

Also it bothers me when an elderly parent divides everything equally among children while neglecting the ones who do spend all the time, effort, and money on them. Please remember the ones who go above and beyond. Don't remember the past. What matters is now.

I've heard a lot of stories in the past where some siblings expect an equal share when they have never lifted a finger for their elderly parent. Just because a sibling lives far away does not mean they are absolved of responsibility.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:07 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Whew!
Bring your wheelbarrows, folks; you're going to need it for this load of guilt!

You forgot a perfectly valid reason:
"I don't want to."

"I don't want to"? That's a valid reason? Caring for your parents - assuming the parent isn't a mass murderer or the equivalent - is one of the most basic ethical obligations of a civilized society.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:16 PM

293 posts, read 558,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
"I don't want to"? That's a valid reason? Caring for your parents - assuming the parent isn't a mass murderer or the equivalent - is one of the most basic ethical obligations of a civilized society.
I don't agree with either point of view. The obligation of a civilized society is to take care of its weaker and needy citizens, but I don't think that means that adult children are obligated to take care of their own parents. After all, a lot of very old people have no surviving children, or the children they have are old themselves and not physically capable of caring for them.

As for the excuse that "I don't want to" - I think that only goes so far. If a person can say to their siblings "I don't plan to do it, and I don't expect you to do it either", that's one thing. It the attitude is "I shouldn't have to do it, but my sibling should have to do it because s/he: is female/ is single/ is childless/ lives closer/ was Mom's favorite /is better suited to it, etc., then I think that's just plain wrong.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL, calm myself down? Whose upset. I'm not.

You're the one who took this thread off topic by insisting that only women should be doing caregiving.

You totally contradicted yourself, first you said you didn't care if this impacted your business, now you're saying it doesn't. Make up your mind.

Than you say as we move forward into the Internet evolution, yet you have values from the 1950s regarding women....LOL.
Pay attention. Focus. I did not "insist" that "only women" should be doing caregiving. I said women were better at it, and in most families it is observed that the women frequently end up with the job. I guess I assume a certain level of education, erudition, comprehension, and rationality when I make these posts. My bad. Apparently.

Do you know what the word contradiction means? Whether I care or not if something impacts my business is independent of whether it actually does. C'mon now. You're faking this confusion. Stop it.

And yes, as we move into the future, we can often observe that values from the past were indeed correct. And the fact that we strayed from them says more about us than the values. So don't get vacuous on me and be of the position that old values are automatically wrong values. They are not. Values are not correct or incorrect based on their age.

Jeez! This is why I never taught kindergarten. Just no talent or patience for it.

By the way, the repeated use of "LOL" is no longer cool in internet debating. It is now regarded as childish and amateurish. LOL.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 12-26-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Helping take care of them is nice if, and only if, they were good parents. The fact of parenthood in and of itself creates no obligation whatsoever. Returning the favor of good parenting in the form of elder care is certainly a good thing to do, and something that most reasonable people will choose to do. However, that does not have to mean disrupting your personal life by taking them in or handling physical needs. It could mean paying for good care in a facility or subsidizing housing, food, etc. You are not obliged, ever, to sacrifice your life and time for the physical care of your parents. You may choose to do it, but one has no right to assume airs of superiority because they make such a choice where someone else does not.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:53 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
2 daughters and 1 son in my family, and I can assure you the only possible one that could be "available" is the son.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Pay attention. Focus. I did not "insist" that "only women" should be doing caregiving. I said women were better at it, and in most families it is observed that the women frequently end up with the job. I guess I assume a certain level of education, erudition, comprehension, and rationality when I make these posts. My bad. Apparently.

Do you know what the word contradiction means? Whether I care or not if something impacts my business is independent of whether it actually does. C'mon now. You're faking this confusion. Stop it.

And yes, as we move into the future, we can often observe that values from the past were indeed correct. And the fact that we strayed from them says more about us than the values. So don't get vacuous on me and be of the position that old values are automatically wrong values. They are not. Values are not correct or incorrect based on their age.

Jeez! This is why I never taught kindergarten. Just no talent or patience for it.

By the way, the repeated use of "LOL" is no longer cool in internet debating. It is now regarded as childish and amateurish. LOL.
Time to knock it off with the insults. I have two degrees, but that doesn't really matter.

You seem to think that all women are cut out to be caregivers, they're not.

Maybe it has something to do with your upbringing? Having grown up in NY but now residing in CA I remember a lot of Italian American families where only the daughters assisted in regards to helping out around the house. It was outdated back in the 70s to those of us who weren't Italian, it's absolutely archaic nowadays.

I had a friend growing up with one sister, she would actually stay home from school to help out the mother. Four brothers and not one of them ever lifted a finger in the house, so perhaps it's your background that makes you think this way.

Again, not everyone has daughters. I also know of cases where the adult daughter did nothing and the son took care of the parent/parents.

There are also many DIL taking care of theirs spouses parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving