Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:40 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,382,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Age as a risk factor only means that the disease progresses very slowly. .

No, that's not what it means.

It means that the longer you live, the higher the chance you will be diagnosed with the disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 12:54 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,475,500 times
You already have the disease by the time you're diagnosed. You've had cognitive decline for as much as 20 years according to some studies. It's a question of severity.

Signs of Alzheimer's Seen 18 Years Before Symptoms

They have the same kind of thing with diabetes and high blood pressure. Pre-diabetes and pre-hypertension.

The Mediterranean diet appears to have been debunked also. Some versions of the diet eliminate the other meats and cut back on the carbs which are shown to increase cholesterol levels. It's not really what the Italians and Greeks eat. The latest trend is to cut back on carbs such as the Atkins or Davis diets.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,717,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
That's a good question, and I haven't checked that in the book, as of yet, but overall, Dr. Greger appears to come down hard on all animal products, including dairy, and he backs his opinions up with research.

You might want to try the search feature on Dr. Greger's free website for more information:
NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research
I did and found this: Reducing Glycotoxin Intake to Prevent Alzheimer's | NutritionFacts.org

Old 12-30-2015, 01:30 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,634,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

Excellent find!

Old 12-30-2015, 01:44 PM

510 posts, read 495,634 times
I am not sure if they still do it but some genetic testing companies like 23 and Me test (or used to test) for the DNA sequence which MAY CAUSE Alzheimer's. Knowing you're a carrier (or not) might help you start making any lifestyle and health adjustments to delay or prevent the start. Its also entirely possible to never get it even with the "right" DNA.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:17 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,071,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
You are not alone.

These days, the best evidence is for getting cardio exercise (2.5hrs total per week is great). A Mediteranean diet is also highly supported. Keep your blood pressure, blood sugars, and cholesterol under good control. Get enough sleep and if you have sleep apnea, get it treated.
Sounds like the sound bite for most any disease.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:50 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,297,022 times
The news show 60 mins about a year ago had a section on dementia in elderly people. The researchers used people in their 80's and 90's and then did MRI's on their brains. The ones that had signs of dementia were put in the test sample. All were put through numerous mental tests. Some thing amazing happened. The researchers found several people that had positive MRI results that showed they had dementia but had no mental reduction and functioned as a normal mentally healthy people.

The researches were scratching their heads. They did extensive examinations of there blood and any other cause they could think of. None were on a special diet and eat bacon, drank, and had made no attempt to live a healthy life.

What they did find was that the mentally healthy people had one thing in common, they all had higher then normal blood pressure. The doctor in charge of the research said that maybe as people get older they need to have higher blood pressure and that making attempts to keep them at normal or lower blood pressure maybe unhealthy for senior citizens.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,492,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Alzheimers and dementia are all over my family and now that I'm nearing 50, I'm starting to obsess about it and worry. I used to think "oh, there will be a cure by the time I'm old" but now I'm not so sure. I know this is pointless because I'm either going to get it or not or there will be a cure or not, but for those of you also worried or with a family history, are there things you do or do not do? eat or do not eat? And what about putting your desires down in writing - is there some document I can write telling my kids what I want them to do if I get it? I can't stand the thought of them having to go through what so many other people in my family have gone through, including me with my parents and grandparents. I'd like to write something telling them that if I get really bad, I don't care where I live, to not spend a lot of money, I certainly do not want them moving me into their houses, etc. If assisted suicide is available, I'd probably go that route. That's just how I feel about it. I know there are lots of other diseases that are horrible too, but my expereinces have been with long-term Alzheimers and early-onset Alzheimers. And I know my kids might want to do things to help me, or feel guilty if they don't - but I would like to try and head that off.
There is some info out there about things to do to lessen the risk. Common sense healthy lifestyle habits and such. So there's that.

It doesn't run in my family, so I'm not very worried about it. I've known a lot of people with cancer, so I'm much more concerned about that. (I am very forgetful...so sometimes I wonder. But I've read that if you are worried about having it....you don't have it.)

I agree with the assisted suicide route, if it were available. That's because I have no kids to care for me or care much about my decision. My decision would be my own, for my own benefit. But I doubt I get it. At least not before I'm so old I'm having minor strokes, anyway.

I still think cancer is most likely, just because it's so prevalant these days.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:19 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,208,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Post #2 has some really excellent suggestions. In addition, I would suggest reading the chapter on reducing one's risk for dementia in How Not To Die by Dr. Michael Greger. FWIW, the book is a 5 Star Best Seller on Amazon. All proceeds from the sell of the book, audio-book and DVD go to charity.

Book Trailer for How Not to Die | NutritionFacts.org

How Not to Die hits New York Times Best Seller list! | NutritionFacts.org

Here's just one tidbit from it. Although Nigerians have a high frequency of a gene thought to be related to Alzheimer's, few of them actually get it.

Dr. Greger believes it is due to their plant-based diet.

Read and agree. Although I do eat non farmed salmon.

My father died of complications related to Alzheimer. He ate bacon for breakfast every day, and steak for dinner. His father lived to be 80.

He didn't eat that way because he was a poor Polish farmer. They ate a lot of potatoes and cabbage.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,634,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Read and agree. Although I do eat non farmed salmon.

My father died of complications related to Alzheimer. He ate bacon for breakfast every day, and steak for dinner. His father lived to be 80.

He didn't eat that way because he was a poor Polish farmer. They ate a lot of potatoes and cabbage.
I'm very sorry to hear about your dad.

Salmon does taste good! That was the last animal product that I surrendered, and I was kicking and screaming all the way. ->-> ->

Last edited by pacific2; 12-30-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving