U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:39 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,057,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
My household is having what is potentially a silly disagreement. I'd like opinions of other caregivers.

Before my Grandma moves in with me, other family members at my house want to replace the carpet/flooring in what will be her bedroom. Currently there is carpet which is stained and there are also burn marks (cigarettes) in the carpet. Most of this is clustered in certain areas.

My thinking is that if we can clean and/or cleverly disguise the stains and marks, then we should leave the carpet. Grandma is messy and I don't know what damage she may cause to the carpet due to her incontinence. She wears "pullups" (Depends), but she could forget. Or she might eat in there and spill stuff.

I certainly don't see the point in installing new carpet if it may have to be removed later on due to stains, and not just from her also from the pets. On the otherhand, I could see installing a vinyl or linoleum floor (really what we want), but I think Grandma would prefer carpet since it is warmer and less slippery.

Honestly, I think the other household family members want the new carpet more for the guests than for Grandma. They've already decided on repainting the room solely for the guests. Grandma doesn't give a flying fig. She's never been into having a nice looking house.

Thoughts? I guess I'm thinking that caregivers might know something that I'm overlooking. They might be able to give me a different perspective. I remember my great aunt telling me about the time her mother smeared poop all over the walls in her bedroom. So who knows what Grandma could do if her mind really starts going.
If you wouldn't fix up the room for Queen Elizabeth than don't fix it up for Gramma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 04:05 AM

16,882 posts, read 17,196,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If you wouldn't fix up the room for Queen Elizabeth than don't fix it up for Gramma.

I suppose it depends on the likelihood of Queen Elizabeth spilling urine on the floor and ruining the new carpet within the first few months or first year. And, probably, if Queen Elizabeth is sleeping in your guest room you have the money to replace the carpet twice.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 AM

1,084 posts, read 836,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
My household is having what is potentially a silly disagreement. I'd like opinions of other caregivers.

Before my Grandma moves in with me, other family members at my house want to replace the carpet/flooring in what will be her bedroom. Currently there is carpet which is stained and there are also burn marks (cigarettes) in the carpet. Most of this is clustered in certain areas.

My thinking is that if we can clean and/or cleverly disguise the stains and marks, then we should leave the carpet. Grandma is messy and I don't know what damage she may cause to the carpet due to her incontinence. She wears "pullups" (Depends), but she could forget. Or she might eat in there and spill stuff.

I certainly don't see the point in installing new carpet if it may have to be removed later on due to stains, and not just from her also from the pets. On the otherhand, I could see installing a vinyl or linoleum floor (really what we want), but I think Grandma would prefer carpet since it is warmer and less slippery.

Honestly, I think the other household family members want the new carpet more for the guests than for Grandma. They've already decided on repainting the room solely for the guests. Grandma doesn't give a flying fig. She's never been into having a nice looking house.

Thoughts? I guess I'm thinking that caregivers might know something that I'm overlooking. They might be able to give me a different perspective. I remember my great aunt telling me about the time her mother sosmeared poop all over the walls in her bedroom. So who knows what Grandma could do if her mind really starts going.
The most important question to ask is whether the current carpet creates any risk or danger for grandma and would another type of flooring reduce those risks? My grandmother lived with me until she died last May and she was 95. I wanted real cherry hardwood in my living room, dining room and kitchen; granite tile on the bathroom floors and berber carpet in the bedrooms.

Instead, I had sheet vinyl in the kitchen (and it was too slick, although the cherry wood I have now is slicker) and the same sheet vinyl in the master bath. The guest bath had laminate and the rest of the house was plain old cheap carpeting. My grandmother refused to use the garbage disposal, instead takinig leftovers onto the back deck and slinging them into the center of the back yard. I planted grass several times per summer in the spots that she killed that way!

But she left a trail of stains between the point where the kitchnen's vinyl ended and the carpet ran across the edge of the living room to the back door. The stains were horrible and I finally had to tell her no more going out on the deck to throw food away and she didnt need to go out without at least telling me (I would watch here from the living room window a few feet away so she felt independent but I could reach her in five seconds). I put a lock on the top of the door that she couldn't reach and, if should could, she couldn't operate it. Once she stopped going to the back door out of habit, I cleaned the carpet along her 'path' and bought a sisal runner to put down and cover the stains that the cleaner wouldn't remove.

I think you have the right idea- a slick floor of any kind is a recipe for distaster. If you were to purchase new carpet, grandma would probably stain it or have an 'accident' on it and that's worse with a new pad underneath new carpet to soak up the 'mess' before you can clean it up!

Have the carpet cleaned by the highest-rated PRO you can find in your area. Cleaning can do amazing things to carpet. If possible, shift furniture or get a potted plan to cover any permanent stains or cigarette burns. If the worst of the stains is close enough to a piece of furniture, put a basket of magazines or something similar to cover it. You need to avoidi all loose rugs of any kind for grandma's sake.

If you and/or your family decide that the flooring must be replaced not matter what, I would use a low-pile berber which will make it easier for her to walk on without falling AND multi-colored nature will hide future stains.

When grandma is gone, you can get whatever you want but for now, you need to watch out for her safety.

My grandmother died because of a fall she had on the sheet vinyl in my breakfast area. She was tyring to stand up using her walker for leverage (which we had tried to stop many times but she refused to stop) and I was in the bathroom. I heard a pop and the a loud bang and she immediately started calling for me. She had fallen and hit her head on the edge of the table, then slammed the back of head onto the hard floor when she landed. She seemed fine for about 20 minutes, then she suddenly became violent and started hitting me and she was in and out of lucidity. We finally found a combo of drugs at the hospital to knock her out after 54 hours of sheer hell and at least one nurse with me at all times to help control her when she became aggressive.

The short version is that I never SAW or SPOKE to MY grandma again after that sad day. She lived exactly three months after that and most days were almost unbearable. The moral of the story is to watch out for grandma's well-being and safty for now. Wjhen she is gone, do whatever you like !

Old 01-12-2016, 01:23 PM

16,227 posts, read 22,538,230 times
I would wait unless its not safe.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:46 AM

8,848 posts, read 7,645,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My mom is planning to replace the fairly new, but horribly stained, carpet in her bedroom with sheet vinyl because it's supposed to be the best for incontinence. She's been looking at the slightly more expensive cushioned vinyl with a little bit of texture to it...some of it looks like wood but the cleanup is supposed to be a lot better and she figures the texture will be less slippery than a smooth floor. My dad wears depends but he wets the floor almost every night.
I agree with this. Easier to clean, less chance of tripping, walkers roll over it quite easily, etc. I say go sheet vinyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving