Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 07:43 AM

849 posts, read 269,834 times

Advertisements

Over Thanksgiving, my 90 y/o mother moved in with me (48, divorced). We reside in Central NJ and a neighbor suggested that because she lives with me I could put the utility bills in her name and the costs would lower/less.

The only funds she receives is from Social Security.

A decade ago, she invested in a building which hasn't produced income in over 5 years, but never the less, her name is still on the deed.

Since moving in, my utility bills have doubled. Electric fireplace and gas heat (house set to 75).

I've done some research and see there are programs out there, but just not sure where to start.

Does anyone out there have experience with this?

Thanks All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:22 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
1. contact your utility company to find out if there are any plans for the company you use.
2. contact the area senior assistance group for your area and they might have any assistance plans.

You might consider an oil filled heater to have next to her instead of using an electric fireplace. Make sure she had enough clothes on with layers if necessary. Sheepskin lined slippers with nonslid soles are a great thing to keep feet warm. There are also electric lap blankets which are a great thing for the elderly.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Thank you for caring for your mother.

While, I am sure that it varies by state. My elderly aunt received a number of "breaks" on various bills including utility bills, but she was extremely low income (well below poverty level). She lived in her own house by herself and her house was her only asset.

I would suggest calling your local Council on Aging to start. They will help you find out where to start looking for services or programs that could help your mother and you. It is possible that even though she does not get an income from that property it will be considered an asset which may increase her net worth above a level that qualifies her for services.

The previous poster had excellent points about your mom keeping warm through extra clothes rather than heating the entire house to keep her warm. My father used to wear long underwear under his clothes (both top and bottom) from September to June. Often, other people would be in thin cotton tee shirts and he would be wearing a long sleeve flannel shirt with long underwear under it to be comfortable.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:33 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
In my area of Northern California, the utility companies have a medical rate. Pacific Gas and Electric provides my gas only as my town provides all other utilities including electricity. This is separate from the financial discount, for which I do not qualify.

Their parameters for the medical rate differ: PG&E does give me a discounted rate as I have vascular problems which require consistent warmth during the cool/cold seasons. My doctor signed the application, which includes his diagnosis and the necessity for the heat levels, and that was all it took.

My town, on the other hand, only provides the electricity discount if medical equipment is necessary for life support AND the household income meets their qualifying criteria. So that doesn't work for me as I have no medical equipment needs.

By all means check with your local providers . . . obviously there is no one-size-fits-all approach.

I also agree with the clothing suggestions. I've even been wearing thin gloves in the house this winter - with those little hand warmer packets inside. They can get too warm so you'd have to keep on top of the temperature so your mom doesn't get burned, but they really help with keeping the chill off. There are foot warmer packets, too, so maybe you could slip those inside her house shoes. Every little bit helps.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:14 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
And hot water bottles still exist and are reuseable so only a small one time expense. I use one when we let the temp in the house dip to 65 degrees. It sits on my lap and I can put my hands on it. Or I can put it on or underneath my feet.

Mom also has a couple of different things like gloves, slippers and a shoulder cover that are warmed up in the microwave. They hold the heat nicely and again only a small one time expense rather than one time use handwarmers.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:31 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
And hot water bottles still exist and are reuseable so only a small one time expense. I use one when we let the temp in the house dip to 65 degrees. It sits on my lap and I can put my hands on it. Or I can put it on or underneath my feet.

Mom also has a couple of different things like gloves, slippers and a shoulder cover that are warmed up in the microwave. They hold the heat nicely and again only a small one time expense rather than one time use handwarmers.
Good point. Those microwaveable pads are wonderful. I have one that I use on my neck when it acts up (old injury) and it also has pockets so that I can put my hands in it when I'm sitting around.

I doubt that the OP's mom is on the computer much (but you never know!), or maybe someone else will read this down the road, and I found I can actually type wearing my thin gloves with the warmer packets in them. The packets last seven hours, so, yes, one time use, but they will stay warm even if they're sitting on a table and you want to put them back in. I do get seven hours use out of them 'cause I have them in and out all day.

I think I'll go heat up my microwave pad right now. Thanks for reminding me!

Old 01-18-2016, 06:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I want to add something in here that could be an important heads-up for someone else's mom (or dad).

If the parent suffers angina then chances are that they feel chest pain when breathing cold air. All of the suggestions on here are wonderful, but no amount of layered clothes will prevent the pain attacks. I know because, while I'm not elder, I have angina and breathing cold air is very uncomfortable for me (and, unfortunately, yes, my winter power bills are the pits). Some days I decide to just tolerate the cold, and in that case I'll apply a microwaved hot-pack to my chest while watching TV, and maybe I'll pull a throw over my nose. Needless to say, I'm always anxious for winter to end.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I want to add something in here that could be an important heads-up for someone else's mom (or dad).

If the parent suffers angina then chances are that they feel chest pain when breathing cold air. All of the suggestions on here are wonderful, but no amount of layered clothes will prevent the pain attacks. I know because, while I'm not elder, I have angina and breathing cold air is very uncomfortable for me (and, unfortunately, yes, my winter power bills are the pits). Some days I decide to just tolerate the cold, and in that case I'll apply a microwaved hot-pack to my chest while watching TV, and maybe I'll pull a throw over my nose. Needless to say, I'm always anxious for winter to end.

FYI, I wanted to mention that I saw a product at a medical supply company (possibly new) that warms the air that you breath. It is designed for use outside in the winter but it probably would work inside, too.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
FYI, I wanted to mention that I saw a product at a medical supply company (possibly new) that warms the air that you breath. It is designed for use outside in the winter but it probably would work inside, too.
Interesting.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:01 PM

849 posts, read 269,834 times
Thank you all for the posts!

I ordered an electric throw on Amazon.
I ordered slippers with non-skid thread from Macy's.

My brother sent her headphones so that we can watch TV without me going deaf (I listen at 25, she can't hear until it reaches 45) Not this topic but how I found a solution to another issue.

Love hot water bottle idea. I'm going to see how the throw does. The heat from her lap top actually does some to keep her warm, but I am hoping the blanket helps with extremities.

She is not very mobile and thus getting dressed is difficult. Consequently, she stays in her pajamas with a heavy bathrobe all day. She SHOULD wear more layers, but telling what to wear - IDK. That seems like I'm being too bossy.

Anyway, thank you ALL for sharing! CD members are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving