U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 12:24 PM

16,722 posts, read 14,608,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I know that I must sound like an absolute jerk or a absolute tightwad,

No, you sound like someone who is beyond stressed, out of money, out of ideas, and overwhelmed at having to do this pretty much alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 05:55 PM

44,326 posts, read 35,852,560 times
You are not being weird or jerkified about the dog situation - that's an extremely emotional issue as it is, and then the money on top of that. Sheeze!

I don't know how you are hanging in there. Girl, you need a break. I'll bring over several bottles of wine and let's sit out on the patio. I could probably even be convinced to smoke at this point! LOL

Old 03-09-2016, 07:44 PM

21,578 posts, read 14,187,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
No, you sound like someone who is beyond stressed, out of money, out of ideas, and overwhelmed at having to do this pretty much alone.
This.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 PM

21,578 posts, read 14,187,164 times
I'm responding to the real estate thing. I think the realtor was seeing your condo through the eyes of a prospective buyer. How its unimproved condition will affect its sale depends a lot on what the demand for condos is in your area. Have one of your kids show you how to access https://www.redfin.com/‎ for your immediate area. You will be able to see for yourself what is for sale and what is being asked for them. You can also peek into the for sale condos to get an idea how yours stacks up.

If you can't do any more than you have done, then you just have to list it as is. I do think you should ask your realtor how he intends to market it, and if he feels it will sell.

KA is right though; price sells everything. The price will have to be lower to attract people to a fixer.

I also think the realtor wants you to invest in new carpeting and wallpaper removal and repainting. I'd ask your kids if they can do these things. And he is right about the housing rush beginning in the spring. I think you do have a few weeks' leeway. So if the kids could come through for you, you could have it ready to sell in plenty of time.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:43 PM

3,854 posts, read 6,848,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know how you are hanging in there. Girl, you need a break. I'll bring over several bottles of wine and let's sit out on the patio. LOL
Can I come?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 PM

16,888 posts, read 17,196,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think that is a fair representation.

I sometimes remember what a friend of mine told me a few months ago. Her mother developed Alzheimer's and had four loving daughters, four loving SILs and several teen/young adult grandchildren all living in the area, plus enough savings to be able to afford (at least for a few years) a top notch memory care unit when she could not stay at home helped by her family.

My friend said "We had eight adults sharing the burden and responsibilities of caring for our mother and we were still overwhelmed at times. I can not imagine how you are able to care for your husband all by yourself."

But, I'm feeling better now. I think it was just a temporary set back of being TOO overwhelmed instead of just being overwhelmed.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:55 PM

6,619 posts, read 3,806,188 times
But, I'm feeling better now. I think it was just a temporary set back of being TOO overwhelmed instead of just being overwhelmed.

Well you seem to have an awful lot of endurance! You deserve to have a good rant whenever you need it! But glad you're feeling better. Take good care.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Can I come?

ABSOLUTELY! Can you pick up some cheese on the way over?

Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I think that is a fair representation.

I sometimes remember what a friend of mine told me a few months ago. Her mother developed Alzheimer's and had four loving daughters, four loving SILs and several teen/young adult grandchildren all living in the area, plus enough savings to be able to afford (at least for a few years) a top notch memory care unit when she could not stay at home helped by her family.

My friend said "We had eight adults sharing the burden and responsibilities of caring for our mother and we were still overwhelmed at times. I can not imagine how you are able to care for your husband all by yourself."

Germaine, I may have missed it somewhere along the way - have you been able to plug into any sort of support group?

Old 03-12-2016, 09:36 AM

16,888 posts, read 17,196,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Germaine, I may have missed it somewhere along the way - have you been able to plug into any sort of support group?
Yes, I am part of a once a month support group and am hoping to find a group that meets more often. Part of the difficulty is that I need to find someone to care for my husband during the time that the group meets and my adult daughter usually works weekends (and the most logical group meets Saturday morning).

I recently started with a therapist once every two or three weeks. While the "jury is still out" as to her skill level (I have my doubts) at least I get to vent & bounce my ideas & thoughts off of a live person who in not a family member. My husband usually has stayed with our daughter during that time.

Once he stayed in the waiting room reading the newspaper with a Pepsi & cookies, with his phone & a note to call me if he needed me. There were two receptionists/clerks behind the desk by the door and they were "tipped off" that if he got up to leave the waiting room to call to him to stop him & to immediately let me know. While I was a little nervous it went well and I'm may try that again on Monday. I don't think that he could have handled that two months ago but I'm OK with trying it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or