U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 07:31 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,638,810 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 11:39 AM

16,952 posts, read 17,249,607 times
Default Update. February 28

Our condo, while not completely emptied, is ready to show real estate agents. This week I have scheduled one potential private buyer, two real estate agents, and We Buy Ugly Houses (wholesale buyer) to look at our condo. After that we will see what happens.

My husband is doing OK, with our "new normal". If you have read this thread there had been a slight problem with him changing his clothes three times a day and not re-wearing anything but that is now better. He usually will now change his clothes usually only twice a day and will sometimes wear his jean or what he wears to bed a second time.

One slight problem is that it that the time has come to rehome his dog. Right now it is at the condo with our adult daughter but she really can not take the time to play with it, walk it and take care of it as much as the dog needs. And, my husband and I can not physically do it either. We have been arranging for my husband to walk the dog between one to three times a week. We then often run errands where he can continue to play with the dog in the car (such as going through the drive-through window at Walgreens or buying gas or dropping stuff off at the post office). He can't play with our dog at our condo, as he gets agitated and confused when he is there.

While I have not been making a big deal about it, I have been telling him for weeks/months that we will need to find a new home for his dog as it can not come to live with us at the apartment. I told him last night that we are looking for a good home for our dog right now and he started to cry and promised to walk him and care for him. It was sad, but I know that is for the best to find a new home for the dog.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:15 PM

3,855 posts, read 6,856,339 times
Oh, my! It's too bad that you can't keep the dog. Maybe the dog could be fostered and your husband could still spend time with him?

I have a chihuahua that I rescued. She visited my mom when she was in the rehab hospital. The therapists asked me to bring her everyday to visit with the patients. They were very motivated by her visits. I know the foster parent kept some of the dogs permanently. She showed me her scrapbook.

I bet the bond between your husband and his dog has helped in his recovery. I think looking into foster care for the dog with visits might be good for all of you. It wouldn't hurt to look into it. Then maybe he could continue to visit the dog.

FosterDogs - I Need A Temporary Home For My Dog

Salena still keeps watch over mom and spends time with her every day. Sometimes she even sleeps with mom. When mom moves around using her walker, Salena follows her. She really looks out for her. I think she knows things I don't.

Last edited by photobuff42; 02-28-2016 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: added thought

Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 AM

6,645 posts, read 3,823,244 times
It's very sad about his little dog. Another loss on top of everything else. And difficult for you once again to be in the role of "enforcer".

Old 02-29-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
It's very sad about his little dog. Another loss on top of everything else. And difficult for you once again to be in the role of "enforcer".

I hate being the enforcer.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:41 PM

6,645 posts, read 3,823,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I know. All you can do is try to do it in the most loving empathetic way possible.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:30 PM

3,758 posts, read 10,610,101 times
Quote:
Ohh... the dog thing makes me so sad for all of you!!

If you can't keep the dog, maybe at some point your husband could volunteer to be a dog walker/player at a local shelter. That way he could still interact with dogs as clearly he enjoys them.

Glad things are progressing. Sad overall for all that all of you have been through..

Old 02-29-2016, 06:49 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,519,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Ohh... the dog thing makes me so sad for all of you!!

If you can't keep the dog, maybe at some point your husband could volunteer to be a dog walker/player at a local shelter. That way he could still interact with dogs as clearly he enjoys them.

Glad things are progressing. Sad overall for all that all of you have been through..
That is a good idea! I hope he goes for it, and it isn't "just one more thing" for you.

Thank you for keeping us updated. You and your husband have faced some really big challenges and I think you have done well.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:45 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,139,165 times
I haven't read the whole thread, so I might be off about this, but I think you should be aware that your dog is probably wonderful therapy and company for your husband.

Getting rid of his dog might set him back terribly and he could very well drop into depression. I know I would.

I'd do everything in my power to keep our dogs. Please reconsider not re-homing your dog.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 AM

Default Vent- March 1st -Today is the day to show our condo.

Quote:
Our condo, while not completely emptied, is ready to show real estate agents. This week I have scheduled one potential private buyer, two real estate agents, and We Buy Ugly Houses (wholesale buyer) to look at our condo. After that we will see what happens.

My husband is doing OK, with our "new normal". If you have read this thread there had been a slight problem with him changing his clothes three times a day and not re-wearing anything but that is now better. He usually will now change his clothes usually only twice a day and will sometimes wear his jean or what he wears to bed a second time.

One slight problem is that it that the time has come to rehome his dog. Right now it is at the condo with our adult daughter but she really can not take the time to play with it, walk it and take care of it as much as the dog needs. And, my husband and I can not physically do it either. We have been arranging for my husband to walk the dog between one to three times a week. We then often run errands where he can continue to play with the dog in the car (such as going through the drive-through window at Walgreens or buying gas or dropping stuff off at the post office). He can't play with our dog at our condo, as he gets agitated and confused when he is there.

While I have not been making a big deal about it, I have been telling him for weeks/months that we will need to find a new home for his dog as it can not come to live with us at the apartment. I told him last night that we are looking for a good home for our dog right now and he started to cry and promised to walk him and care for him. It was sad, but I know that is for the best to find a new home for the dog.

Today is the day to show our condo to a possible private buyer and the first real estate agent. To get my siblings and son who thinks that he helps "care give" from 2,000 miles away (ha!) "off my back" last December I promised it will be ready to show real estate agents on March 1st. Today is Tuesday, March 1 and I have not seen all of the condo since Thursday so I'm hoping that my daughter followed though on everything that she promised to do in her bedroom & elsewhere in the condo with her stuff. If not, well the rest of it looks OK enough.

Both of my brothers, who live in the area, were licensed real estate agents and my one brother was quite active in the business for many years as a side line and they suggested that I would be "more comfortable" handling everything by myself. (I'm the person who has only made two housing purchases in her entire life - 30 years ago and about 33 years ago both handled with the help of my husband who was at that time an attorney, and hasn't really sold anything ever- as our first condo was bought by the company that built our second condo)

More Comfortable!?!?!

-----------------

Yesterday one of the possible new owners of my husband's dog came to meet the dog. She loved him and her whole family will be back tonight to all meet the dog. She gave references including the name of the vet who worked with her previous dogs and has agreed to our conditions for rehoming (my daughter & I will make a home visit first, we will have a contract stating that if it "doesn't work out" they will return the dog to us, plus we want to make at least one visit to make sure that the dog is adjusting after a few weeks.)

I took my husband to walk his dog yesterday and I'm pretty sure that he has forgotten that I told him that we are rehoming him. I don't know if, or how much, I should remind him about it but the dog will probably be gone in only a week. I really don't know what to do?

RATS!!!!! I just remembered that my husband had a counseling appointment yesterday that we completely forgot about! We will have a $50 missed appointment charge plus I was going to have the counselor talk to him about the dog. Rats! Rats! I just have too many things to remember.

-----------------

More venting. And to top it off, I have an irritating rash that started 1 1/2 weeks ago, and is getting worse, and I still have not been able to make arrangements to see the doctor (mainly because of the putting the condo on the market deadline & all of my other responsibilities) and I don't know when I will have time to get to see a doctor in the near future. I know that caregivers have to take care of their own health but when do people think that we can find the time to do that?

----------------

Off to wake up hubby.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-01-2016 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: added RATS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or