Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Write a letter (make a copy) or email the doctor prior to your mom's next appointment. Tell him/her that you will be accompanying your mom to the next appointment.

Also, have your mom add you as someone who can discuss her health issues - she will have to sign a form giving her consent. Then you can call and talk to the doctor or staff anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 01:19 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,984 times
Heck, no! Try to persuade your mother to sign both medical and financial POAs BEFORE her doc determines she is having some degree of cognitive decline.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
My husband had a full neuro-psychological evaluation at MD Anderson. It was enlightening, to say the least. It made a big difference in winning his disability claims.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:37 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,984 times
I just realized my prior post is unclear. I'm not stating that it is unacceptable to speak with your mother's physician regarding her cognitive decline. I simply believe it is a bad idea to have the physician record your concerns in your mother's chart before your mother has completed and signed legal documents that require her to be of sound mind.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I just realized my prior post is unclear. I'm not stating that it is unacceptable to speak with your mother's physician regarding her cognitive decline. I simply believe it is a bad idea to have the physician record your concerns in your mother's chart before your mother has completed and signed legal documents that require her to be of sound mind.

Excellent reminder.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:34 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,301 times
Thanks for all the replies and the input. She had an appointment with her cardiologist yesterday, she said the memory issues could be due to the sleep apnea she was just diagnosed with but did refer my mother to a neurologist, which she will see in April. The trip to the neurologist is more for me than for her, I struggle with the thoughts that there really is no memory loss, it is just an attempt at attention. She and my father really cut themselves off from others after his retirement and pretty much became each others world, so for 12 years she was the most important person in someones life and now that he is gone, she wants that from someone else. I love her but I have a husband and children that are the center of my world, as they should be, her and my relationship was never a healthy mother/daughter relationship, so I struggle with that as well. I have encouraged her to get out and meet others, we have a very large senior community with plenty of opportunties to interact with others closer to her age and in the same situation as she finds herself in. It has been like pulling teeth to get her out of the house, plenty of "as soon as this health issue gets settled" excuses. She does go to the senior center usually 5 days a week for the entire morning but outside that she just wants to stay in her room. Hopefully in the next couple of months we will get some definitive anwers. Even though I really don't do much hands on caregiving with her because she is still able to do everything for herself and I struggle with calling myself her caregiver, it is a really hard thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving