U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:07 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,299,098 times

Advertisements

Possibly...when folks are getting to the end of a natural life-cycle...that can happen. Mid-90's....yep. Does she have any physical problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:42 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,151,992 times
Lack of appetite might be caused by kidney disease. Just one of many possibilities.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:54 PM

28,134 posts, read 39,748,049 times
My brothers, who died of Alzheimer's at 82, both did this.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:12 PM
ERH

1,134 posts, read 1,620,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
My mother is eating less and less each meal. She is also drinking fewer fluids. I keep her favorites on hand, but she said she just doesn't want them anymore. I have tried new dishes, she tells me she likes them, but still doesn't eat more. She tells me she is just not hungry or thirsty. Has anyone else encountered this?
How is your mother's health overall? Is she ambulatory or bedridden (or somewhere in between)?

I have a friend whose mother is in her early 90s and over the last 3 years her appetite and food/drink intake have sharply declined. However, she continues to be ambulatory and is in mostly good health. On the other hand, my mother ate like a hog (her own words!) and had relatively good fluid intake until the day before she died. When she refused her breakfast, we know something was up. She died the next afternoon.

Whatever your mother's situation, I wish you peace and strength for what's to come.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:18 AM

14,081 posts, read 8,982,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
My mother is eating less and less each meal. She is also drinking fewer fluids. I keep her favorites on hand, but she said she just doesn't want them anymore. I have tried new dishes, she tells me she likes them, but still doesn't eat more. She tells me she is just not hungry or thirsty. Has anyone else encountered this?

She is in her mid nineties, if that means anything.

My mom is doing a lot of the same as yours. She's 70 though. Much of her stomach is gone & so it doesn't hold much. She might eat once a day if that she ate two bites of oatmeal the other morning & so far nothing to today. So we think that she might be eating just enough to take the edge off. She does drink her water though & every so often a small glass of milk.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 AM

828 posts, read 868,104 times
Mom just had a checkup and the doctor said she is in fine health, except that she is losing weight. When I told him about her becoming apathetic about eating, he said that as long as everything else is fine, and her weight does not become abnormally low, just to leave her alone.

I will be reporting to him via email weekly.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:08 PM
ERH

1,134 posts, read 1,620,977 times
Great news -- and good that he's monitoring it, too.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:37 PM

3,160 posts, read 1,963,480 times
So glad to hear Sue. Hope everything remains alright for you and your mom.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 PM

442 posts, read 277,737 times
My mother (87) has had 4 sudden episodes of listless, disorientation, and lack of interest in eating or drinking. The first time, the doc checked her sodium level and found it to be dangerously low. They socked her up with sodium and she perked right up. Now it's the first thing we check when she gets this way. Just throwing this out in case it hasn't been ruled out.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:57 AM

7,777 posts, read 4,338,566 times
When my mother started this, also in her 90s, the doctors gave us the "end of life" speech, saying that it was her way of saying she wanted to die. I turned to my mother (who was perfectly coherent) and asked, "Mom, do you want to die?" "Of course not!" she responded. "Well, then," I explained, "you've got to eat and drink, or you will." "Well, then," she countered, "give me something to eat and drink!" Yet she would only take a bite or a sip and be done. As I understood it, it was just the appetite center of her brain being affected by either small strokes or a head injury she had suffered in a fall. We ended up inserting a g-tube (her wish as well as mine), I learned to use it, and she lived another 18 months in comfort at home. It's not as traumatic as critics would have you think, and it was a whole lot easier than dealing with frequent bouts of dehydration and cooking everything under the sun to tempt her. My mother had a great will to live, but the brain is a mysterious thing. Don't assume it's a "death wish."

Also, offer Ensure, if no one else has suggested this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving