U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM

20,371 posts, read 16,515,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Can a person have both medicare and medicaid? So basically if all a person has is $1300 a month in social security and no other assets, they can receive medicaid? Does anyone know how long it takes to get qualified for medicaid and where one would go to fill out the paperwork?
My mom is going through the process right now (she's in an ALF and has only 1-2 months of funds left). We started when she had about 3 months of funds left. That only matters if the person is in a facility, though. You used to be able to keep Medicare once you qualified for long term care Medicaid, but now more and more states (including here in NJ) are forcing Medicaid recipients into managed Medicaid plans (Medicaid HMOs). It sucks and I don't even want to tell my mom this, as I work in rehab and I know no one wants managed Caid as a payor source should my mom need more rehab down the road (she just got out of Manor Care short term rehab), next time we won't have choices where she goes).

It is a lot of work...I have to give Medicaid 5 years worth of bank statements, including accounts she doesn't even have open anymore, they need an explanation and a copy of each check over $500 in those 5 years, they need a letter from Social security stating how much she gets a month (our word is not good enough), on and on and on. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on the phone and faxing things right now. We also have to spend her down to no more than $2000 by the end of March or she will be denied. This is a pain, as anything she may need such as glasses or dental work we have to get her now while she still has money, as Medicaid pays for neither. We even have to figure out what she needs in the way of clothes, etc. Once Medicaid takes over, they will take her entire social security check and $400 a month pension and give it to the ALF, my mom will only be allowed to keep $40 a month. That's barely enough for her Depends, extras like the beauty shop, snacks, shampoo, etc I am going to have to buy for her now, even though I am not rich by any means and will probably be eating dog food if I make it to 83.

Keep in mind long term care Medicaid is not the same as plain old poor people of any age Medicaid...I have no idea how it works if the person is still at home versus an ALF or nursing home. In that case it would be state-set guidelines based on income. But Medicare is far, far superior, so if your mom has that, let her keep it as long as possible, it pays for MUCH more than Medicaid does.

I hired a lawyer to help me with it because I work full time and it's confusing to me, but otherwise there are county offices you go to in order to apply, or they can mail you one. Stupidly, there is no way to do it online yet.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-26-2016 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 04:04 PM

16,947 posts, read 17,243,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Can a person have both medicare and medicaid? So basically if all a person has is $1300 a month in social security and no other assets, they can receive medicaid? Does anyone know how long it takes to get qualified for medicaid and where one would go to fill out the paperwork?

It took my husband's sister about a year to get approval for their mother's Medicaid. In the meantime my SIL paid cash from her own savings for all of her mother's nursing home expenses. She was told, I believe, that Medicaid would reimburse her retroactively from the date that her mom applied. Sadly, my MIL passed away after she was technically approved but a few days before all of the final paperwork was completed/made official. Since my MIL was dead when the final paperwork was filed (or whatever the last thing was) my SIL could not be reimbursed by Medicaid.

Of course, every situation is different.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:08 PM

20,371 posts, read 16,515,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
It took my husband's sister about a year to get approval for their mother's Medicaid. In the meantime my SIL paid cash from her own savings for all of her mother's nursing home expenses. She was told, I believe, that Medicaid would reimburse her retroactively from the date that her mom applied. Sadly, my MIL passed away after she was technically approved but a few days before all of the final paperwork was completed/made official. Since my MIL was dead when the final paperwork was filed (or whatever the last thing was) my SIL could not be reimbursed by Medicaid.

Just for the OPs benefit, a year is WAY outside of the norm, in most cases a few months should be sufficient unless it is a very complicated estate or Medicaid has suspicions that assets were hidden. We've seen people approved after only a few weeks when they come into the nursing home for rehab but then are deemed unsafe to go home.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:25 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,492,505 times
When you have Medicare, Medicaid becomes your secondary insurance.
There are different types of Medicaid. Medicaid for the indigent, the blind, elderly, children, disabled, nursing home, and waiver which is long-term home health. At least this is in Ohio.
You apply on-line at your state's website or go to the local county office. To apply to the waiver home care you must be 60 and deemed qualified due to physical limitations. This program application goes through the Area on Aging Office in your disrict.
In Ohio the other ''Medicaid office'' is called Office of Job and Family Services. Process here takes 6-8 weeks AFTER you get all the paperwork in to them. If you take more than 30 days to get all the paperwork to them they will drop your application and make you start all over again. If the application is sent into the system the coverage is 90 days retroactive from the date of application. You get a ''billing number'' and give it to the health care providers that are owed money.
Now in our state if you have Medicare AND Medicaid you automatically fall under one of a few designated managed care companies. If you thought dealing with Medicaid office was a *****, just wait until you need something from this plan like medical transportation. They make it very difficult to get services, believe me.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 AM

16,947 posts, read 17,243,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just for the OPs benefit, a year is WAY outside of the norm, in most cases a few months should be sufficient unless it is a very complicated estate or Medicaid has suspicions that assets were hidden. We've seen people approved after only a few weeks when they come into the nursing home for rehab but then are deemed unsafe to go home.
I really don't know why it took so long in my MIL's case, as it appeared to be a pretty simple low income, little or no savings situation. I do recall that there were several delays due to problems with various paperwork. My FIL, who was deceased at this time, had been in the military and whatever official documentation that was needed for his wife's Medicaid had been misfiled/recorded in the wrong place back when he served in the Korean War and, I believe, that one thing took weeks to resolve. The entire process was pretty frustrating.

My SIL was under the impression that because this was in Florida, where there are a hugely disproportionate amount of elderly, that it took longer and that each and every tiny piece of documentation was scrutinized very carefully with the hopes that the person would not qualify or to delay qualification and hope that the person applying dies first. But, that was just her feeling, I do not know if there are actual facts to show that is correct. It may have just been her anger and frustration with "the system". My SIL hired an attorney to help her with process as she did not feel that she could do it on her own.

OTOH, my elderly aunt qualified for Medicaid in Wisconsin and it only took a few months. Two of my cousins (also elderly), with the help of the nursing home, did it on their own and they said that it was not difficult at all.

So, every situation is different.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:29 AM

39,182 posts, read 20,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
My mother-in law needs more attention for her health. At this time she can barely walk, because it is hard to breath, due to a malfunctioning heart valve and edema. She has to go to dialysis three times a week, and other doctor appointmetns. She is frail and in her 80's. Could she get a nurse to come to the house and help her daily for a few hours and with dialysis from help from medicare? We are in California.
No, not medicare. Look into Medicaid, she'll have to spend down (into poverty and sign over her house for recovery once she passes). You could also look into Hospice.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,494,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
No, not medicare. Look into Medicaid, she'll have to spend down (into poverty and sign over her house for recovery once she passes). You could also look into Hospice.
The house may be saved but only if there is a caregiver child staying there doing care.

this also needs to be proven I did that but got into a mess with siblings.

she got into a nursing home private pay but did not last long the house got into her estate and sold.

Last edited by maggiekate; 02-28-2016 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
The house may be saved but only if there is a caregiver child staying there doing care.

this also needs to be proven I did that but got into a mess with siblings.

she got into a nursing home private pay but did not last long the house got into her estate and sold.
They have to live there for 2 years I believe it is and be able to prove they lived there. I"ve wondered, what if they don't live for 2 years though

Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,494,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They have to live there for 2 years I believe it is and be able to prove they lived there. I"ve wondered, what if they don't live for 2 years though
even 2 years does not let you save a home: you need to provide proof what you did etc anyone with money is wise to seek help with an attorney and elder one.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
even 2 years does not let you save a home: you need to provide proof what you did etc anyone with money is wise to seek help with an attorney and elder one.
I know, but many parents don't want to face it so they don't do these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or