U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:20 PM

16,938 posts, read 17,236,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
He's going to the ER and will be getting a psych eval. I will update when I can.

I am very glad to hear that.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 PM

37,944 posts, read 14,793,071 times
Quote:
He's going to the ER and will be getting a psych eval. I will update when I can.
Know this is hard, but this is the smart move.

Fingers crossed.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,609,128 times
I called 911 with my mother and she was admitted to hospital...my BIGGEST FEAR was they would release her and she'd be in the same situation once more...the social worker at the hospital was AMAZING...you must speak with a social worker, explain what you shared with us and she will tell you what needs to happen. A good social worker will take care of everything...they will tell you what to do step by step!!!!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:58 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,524,853 times
Quote:
Glad to hear it, Maggie. I will be thinking about you, and hoping for the best outcome for all involved.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 PM

3,855 posts, read 6,854,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I called 911 with my mother and she was admitted to hospital...my BIGGEST FEAR was they would release her and she'd be in the same situation once more...the social worker at the hospital was AMAZING...you must speak with a social worker, explain what you shared with us and she will tell you what needs to happen. A good social worker will take care of everything...they will tell you what to do step by step!!!!
I second this. Social workers are truly family and patient advocates.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 PM

7,815 posts, read 10,483,752 times
You have 1st off my utmost respect and admiration. I have a friend who was living your exact same story and no amount of cajoling, urging, reasoning worked. The patient was simply content to exist as is, and his family was going crazy. He didn't care how much of a toll it took on his family. All he wanted to do was watch tv beforehand, so that is all he wants to do now. The family has had to wait on him hand and foot and they were afraid to allow him to walk on his own as he has low BP and is subject to falling suddenly. He was not at all appreciative of the family and how much it has impacted them, he is simply selfish. He too, is on antidepressants.

You must be honest with the doctors and therapists. They will be able to recognize the slide in his condition. My friend and the kids are in counseling as they are dealing with all kinds of things from anger, to guilt and all in between. The therapist has begun to make them realize that they can't do for him what he is not willing to do for himself. They have had him admitted to a facility now and are navigating this difficult road daily. You are in my prayers as I have seen how tough this is.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:50 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,847,070 times
In most areas there are support groups for caregivers, aside from DH's challenges, you need as much strength to deal with it as you can. Don't ignore your own health, both physical and mental, otherwise you can't help him.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 8,370,172 times
I see 8+ pages and, without reading all the replies, I hope I don't duplicate anything.

See if you can get some in-home health care to bathe him and get him up off his duff, maybe once or twice a week. I'm picturing a big strong pleasant male nurse who knows his stuff. They're priceless and it would give your hubby some "companionship". I'd start there but he has to be clean and if he can't/won't do it himself, you have to hire someone to do it for him. Not negotiable.

I hate the thought of a catheter but he has no right to sit in the living room and pee. Again, I'd defer to the professionals.

Do you have any pets? Sometimes just a cat sitting on one's lap to commune with is a boost to one's mental health. Maybe try a visit from a therapy animal. There are people who are training their dogs to be certified and I bet you can find plenty willing to do home visits.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:45 AM

4,772 posts, read 6,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I applaud everyone for supporting and advising Maggie on this issue. However, can we avoid playing armchair QB?

Let's not condemn Maggie; we haven't walked in her shoes. Let's support her in her efforts to do something NOW.
I'm just saying she should really get him cleaned up before she takes him to the ER. Just in case it could get her in trouble.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,629,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'm just saying she should really get him cleaned up before she takes him to the ER. Just in case it could get her in trouble.

I guess nobody is ready the last of OP's posts.

That ship has sailed. The OP's husband went to the ER yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving