Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM

337 posts, read 1,426,931 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if there is anyone near or in Sun City, AZ who might know or be able to recommend (or warn!) about Group Homes in that area??? My FIL, who was already dealing with dementia, was also a stroke victim a little over 4 years ago. It left him completely paralzyed on his left side and he is now on home care 24/7. He is in his late 80s and my precious MIL is early 90s and has not had much luck in finding a decent home health care agency who can meet their needs. We would like to learn what might be the best group homes (Not nursing or skilled care or assisted living) in the area and what a ballpark for their rates might be? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:34 PM

50,115 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
I'm wondering if there is anyone near or in Sun City, AZ who might know or be able to recommend (or warn!) about Group Homes in that area??? My FIL, who was already dealing with dementia, was also a stroke victim a little over 4 years ago. It left him completely paralzyed on his left side and he is now on home care 24/7. He is in his late 80s and my precious MIL is early 90s and has not had much luck in finding a decent home health care agency who can meet their needs. We would like to learn what might be the best group homes (Not nursing or skilled care or assisted living) in the area and what a ballpark for their rates might be? Thanks for any help!
Your FIL sounds like he needs skilled care. First I have never heard of group homes that aren't for developmentally disabled or others with birth defects or mental illness who are in the custody of the state. I don't know what you might mean, unless you are thinking of the old time retirement homes that really were like someone's home...but they would normally require independent seniors, not someone who needs help with daily living skills or mobility.

I do not see how anyone could get a certification to care for demented stroke victims in a home without having their business licensed as an assisted living or skilled nursing care.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:16 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,475,500 times
The alternative name for group homes is residential care homes.

What to Expect in a Residential Care Home

Old 02-07-2016, 10:00 AM

2,755 posts, read 4,382,213 times
This is much harder to find than a decent Home Care agency, I'm afraid.

It may be particularly hard to find considering your FIL has such high needs. He needs 24 hour care, so he really needs a nursing home. I have heard that there are some group homes that exist, but I suspect they are not commonly for people who are so disabled.

They should call their local department of aging, and have a social worker come out for a home visit. The social worker should have a list of such places, and may be able to help assess if he would be appropriate.

Are they paying privately right now for their caregivers? Maybe it is time for them to hire someone on their own rather than work through an agency. You can get better quality people this way, but it requires rigorous screening. They should tell all their friends/church/club groups etc... that they are looking to hire someone. A direct referral is always the best way to find someone. Ideally, if they have space in their home, they should hire a live in caregiver.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,573,289 times
I used a company called Ability Senior Care. They're like a placement service. Fee is paid by the group home. I'll PM you with info.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:19 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,986,199 times
I used "A Place For Mom" which led me to 5 homes (private residential) that took in elderly patients (all levels of care) and also their spouses if needed. The cost per month was $2500 but they were family=like and the people that cared for the patients were devoted. You might try googling it to see what they have to offer. You don't pay for the service. The home does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving