U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 05:22 PM
ERH

1,135 posts, read 1,624,227 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry, Windwalker. {{hugs}}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 08:14 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,913,835 times
Very sorry for your loss.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:33 AM

44,448 posts, read 35,909,090 times
Windwalker, I am so sorry for your loss. I believe your mother is at peace now, and has regained her health and joy.

She would want you to live fully and joyfully as well. Prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,021,599 times
I've been wondering if I should call the hospice caregivers who were particularly helpful to my Mom and me in her last days and thank them? Or should I do something else?
I am thanking the hospice company in the obituary.
They made it possible for her to stay in her familiar apartment until the very end.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:09 PM

3,855 posts, read 6,853,430 times
I am sure a card or a pan of brownies would be equally appreciated.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:02 AM

44,448 posts, read 35,909,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I've been wondering if I should call the hospice caregivers who were particularly helpful to my Mom and me in her last days and thank them? Or should I do something else?
I am thanking the hospice company in the obituary.
They made it possible for her to stay in her familiar apartment until the very end.
When my MIL passed away, we sent a thank you note to her caregivers (she was in memory care center at the end). We also brought a big sheet cake up there, with some paper plates and plastic utensils so that they didn't get stuck washing dishes afterwards. They seemed to really appreciate that.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 AM

2,632 posts, read 3,359,370 times
I am so sorry to hear about your Mom.

When my Mom passed, I did send a thank you note to the Hospice/Home health nursing group. I wrote a thank you note to many people who helped us during her illness, and even to some that I wish had helped more. It was very cathartic for me.

We also gathered my Mom's unused medications and medical supplies, and asked her Hospice nurses if they could use them. One nurse took the diabetes medications to a woman who had few financial resources who was disabled and home bound and really needed them. The other nurse took the unopened bottles and brought them to a group of nurses and doctors that she works with that travels to needy countries to provide urgently needed healthcare. The medications went to Haiti.

My mom would have been pleased to know that.

Thank you for taking care of your Mom.

Wishing you peace.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,021,599 times
As best I could tell, the hospice people were all independent contractors. They called from their personal cell phones, although I had to call them back on a central number, which appeared to be staffed by a volunteer. Because I am ill, my contact with them was by phone. I would like to call the nurse and thank her for all she did for my mother. She basically oversaw the care my Mom got from her assisted living during the last two months. Because I could not be physically present, I probably needed more detailed updating on Mom's condition than other people might have needed. It took some persuading, but eventually the nurse became very good at updating me. My sibling was able to visit Mom, who was in the same town, and meet the caregivers, but did not share any information with me. If more than a call or thank you note is needed, it would have to be something I could order and send from my home, but since the hospice doesn't really have an office I would not know where to send it. And how could I order a cake to be delivered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or