Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
oom

Exactly, I knew of a situation a couple of years ago with an elderly couple in FL(originally from NY) sold their 3 bedroom and moved back to NY and got a one bedroom senior apt on Long Island.

They had been in FL about 20 years.

Did they want to do this? NO. But they were starting to have serious issues and had one adult child in NY, who wasn't close to retirement age, so them relocating to FL wasn't an option.

The most logical solution was the couple move to where their daughter was.
Good for them. I have noticed that there are some parents that need help but think the kids should move closer to them. That is also selfish, they lived their lives and the kids are making their way in life now. Everyone's got to give.

But according to OP, if I remember correctly they don't have kids. imho, in that case they should move to a place where there are other elderly people. These places are full of people in the same boat and I'm sure there are home care nurses coming there and people willing to help each other out.

No one wants to give up their home but you have to do what you have to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,500 times
If your husband is a veteran, your county offices will have a Veteran's Office. They can help you apply for Aid & Assistance, and for a Pension, through the VA.

The A&A will give you $$$$ to get someone to come in and help you. My 94 year old mom is a veteran (a WAC!) and I got her on A&A. She gets over $1k/month.

Best wishes.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:47 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Widows of veterans also qualify for A&A.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:32 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Guys, the OP hasn't been back since 2/16.

Plus she posted a similar thread a few months ago and had nothing but excuses why things couldn't change.

They were living on a very rural property 3 hours out of town. Property on the market for, what, 5 years? Obviously no one wants it at the listed price. They have no money. Trips to town for medical appts are a six hour round trip.

As usual when there are all these reasons why nothing can change, things will have to take a dire turn for the worse before they will.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:13 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I hope you contact the Council on Aging woman.

I drive more than 130 miles one way from a town of 3,000 to care for one person. Through a rez. Nearest post office, in a small trailer house, is more than 40 miles away. I am not a rarity in rural healthcare. My team treats on a couple reservations and a whole bunch of other country.

Medicare Part A pays well for home health and hospice. But, I agree applying for something through the ACA is a good idea, too.

You clearly know what it's like in rural areas. It's hard for city people to understand; before I moved here, I would not have understood either. I didn't know Medicare would pay for hospice or home health care. Perhaps I'm confusing it with nursing care which Medicare only covers for a limited time after the patient has been in the hospital for 3 consecutive days. I will phone Medicare. I call every agency I learn about in our county that advertises help; we get turned down either because we are not native American or not on Medicaid (our income is just above the limit). The ACS (American Cancer Society) can help with hotel costs when traveling to certain cities for care but not ones closest to us; I need to talk with them about hospice specifically.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Guys, the OP hasn't been back since 2/16.

Plus she posted a similar thread a few months ago and had nothing but excuses why things couldn't change.

They were living on a very rural property 3 hours out of town. Property on the market for, what, 5 years? Obviously no one wants it at the listed price. They have no money. Trips to town for medical appts are a six hour round trip.

As usual when there are all these reasons why nothing can change, things will have to take a dire turn for the worse before they will.
I haven't had time to be on here since 2/16. We've been driving for treatment M-F and the rest of the time I'm caring for my husband and trying to do chores.
Yes, house has been on the market for a few years and now is listed at a rock bottom price--price is NOT the issue, location is. We cannot move unless the house sells and yes, we have tried everything including consulting auction companies.
I thank the other posters here who have been supportive and offer advice and ideas rather than criticism.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Many good points...

The OP will not qualify for additional medical insurance through the ACA/ObamaCare if she already has Medicare.

If your husband has a new cancer diagnosis and is disabled enough from this that he is considered "home bound", he may qualify for additional services that come to the home to assist with his care that are paid by Medicare. Ask his oncologist if he can "prescribe" Home Health services, if the doctor feels he qualifies. This could be nursing visits, physical therapy/occupational therapy/speech therapy, a social worker (yeah!), and a home care worker to assist with showers. But this care is very limited, with only a few visits per week and will end after the care is no longer "acute medical care" and is just for daily "maintenance", if you know what I mean. You need to talk to the social worker to find out if there additional state/local benefits

Do you qualify for additional assistance from YOUR disability? Have you been searching the internet for every possible resource?

Do you have a house big enough that you could have someone move in with you guys to help? Perhaps they could provide some assistance at home in exchange for free room and food.

You have to be a bit more pro-active here. If you are severely disabled and your husband is now ill, perhaps it is time to downsize to a handicapped accessible apartment, close to medical care in a larger city. You need to do this soon, rather than wait until a true crises hits.

Do you have ANYONE that can help you? ANY family?
Thank you--your paragraph #2 very helpful in our situation. I will make phone calls.
I already get Social Security disability. We are still trying to sell and move. No family here and no capable friends. You offered excellent suggestions.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
If your husband is a veteran, your county offices will have a Veteran's Office. They can help you apply for Aid & Assistance, and for a Pension, through the VA.

The A&A will give you $$$$ to get someone to come in and help you. My 94 year old mom is a veteran (a WAC!) and I got her on A&A. She gets over $1k/month.

Best wishes.

Husband not a veteran but others may benefit from your post--thank you.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:47 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Thanks for checking back in, OP; we were worried about you! Sounds like you have some good leads to follow. Good luck with the house sale; what about an absolute auction?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Contact your local hospital, public health clinic, cancer clinic, Area on Aging office, physicians office or look on-line for your local hospice or home health agency.
Medicare provides for both and they will come into your home and help your husband and give you support as a caregiver. You will be eligible for a nurse, home health aid, social worker, therapist, and chaplain, if hospice, for home visits. PM me if I can help further.
Have you considered renting out your house and having a realtor or property management company watch over it for you? That income cpuld pay your rent closer to town. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving