U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:31 PM

2,850 posts, read 905,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Thanks all. I am headed to visit him next week. It's such a hideous disease that has been eating away at him for a decade. It's a terrible way to suffer. I wish I could ease his pain.
Those that haven't had to love and care for anyone with this disease may think what I am about to say is cold... For those that have had to deal with it, you understand, and I'm sorry you do... I do too...

The only good thing about this disease is that the people who have it, don't know it.

I don't question God... but if I did....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 03:37 PM

2,850 posts, read 905,868 times
I just thought of this as I read and re-read each of the comments... and this is what has come to my mind.

I don't question God or why He allows what He allows. But I see compassion from each of the comments that were made to this woman's post about her dad. I didn't research - but I'm betting that none of us would know each other if we bumped into one another at the local Wal-Mart. Yet each of us has enough compassion and love for a stranger, brought on or added to because we've each had to care for and love someone who was or still is affected with this horrible disease.

I was always a sincere, loving individual, so I know having both of my parents suffer with this disease wasn't done to make me so. And, as I again read each of your replies, I'm proud of each of you for sharing your love and compassion with someone you don't really know (assuming).

I wish you all peace...

Old 03-04-2016, 05:22 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,077,333 times
When I think of dementia, I think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuj__JnGWLg

On the surface it seems to be from the point of view of a robot but consider the lyrics.

The curse of dementia .... it's tragic.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 PM

15,007 posts, read 21,664,418 times
Sad thing wih this disease my dad can't move, open his eyes and isn't there. He has no quality of life.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 PM

3,907 posts, read 1,517,289 times
Quote:
Sad thing wih this disease my dad can't move, open his eyes and isn't there. He has no quality of life.
My heart goes out to you. I had to look on the Mayo Clinic website to find out the basics of this terrible disease. I can't imagine suffering for over a decade. (According to Mayo, the average is 8 years). Thoughts and prayers.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:05 PM

15,007 posts, read 21,664,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
My heart goes out to you. I had to look on the Mayo Clinic website to find out the basics of this terrible disease. I can't imagine suffering for over a decade. (According to Mayo, the average is 8 years). Thoughts and prayers.
Thanks. He should have passed away a few years ago. I don't know how he is hanging on.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:16 PM

3,855 posts, read 6,854,384 times
Quote:
Thanks. He should have passed away a few years ago. I don't know how he is hanging on.
Sometimes our parents can be tenacious in their hold on life. My heart goes out to you. It is so hard to see someone you love in decline. Just know you are doing your best for your dad.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 PM

15,680 posts, read 6,187,447 times
Quote:
My dad has been ill with Lewy Body Disease for over a decade. It's an awful disease, a combination of Parkinsons and Alzheimer's. He has been in a nursing home for six years. No quality of life. He can't move, speak or do anything for himself.

He was just moved to hospice again. (He has been given his last rites three times in six years). He is starting to have a hard time breathing and eating. It is breaking my heart that he is going through this pain. An awful way to die. I wish there was something I could do for him.
I feel your pain. My mother went on hospice in early 2014. Nine months later she was still on hospice, though living (if you can call it that) at home with a caregiver. I learned that the hospice nurse instructed the caregiver to give my mother Ensure every time she complained of thirst. I tried to get this practice stopped numerous times. I was met with threats of referring me to Adult Protective Services or charges being pressed against me.

Finally, they gave her morphine after I convened an ethics committee meeting. But even there they tried not to let my wife speak. My mother, when she could still barely talk, told her she wanted it "over." The problem is the wording of the "living will." That form document bears close reading since it is really a "pro-prolongation" document.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:01 AM

37,944 posts, read 14,793,071 times
Quote:
My dad has been ill with Lewy Body Disease for over a decade. It's an awful disease, a combination of Parkinsons and Alzheimer's. He has been in a nursing home for six years. No quality of life. He can't move, speak or do anything for himself.

He was just moved to hospice again. (He has been given his last rites three times in six years). He is starting to have a hard time breathing and eating. It is breaking my heart that he is going through this pain. An awful way to die. I wish there was something I could do for him.
There is something you can do.

Stay with him. Pray. Sing. Read aloud. Hold his hand. Stay with him as you let him go

My heart goes out to both of you.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:22 AM

44,475 posts, read 35,935,681 times
I'm so sorry for you and your dad. My MIL had Parkinson's and Alzheimer's simultaneously and I literally had nightmares about that disease while she was struggling to live with absolutely no abilities and so miserable. It was like watching someone turn to stone. My heart hurts for you and your family.

She did seem to really love being read to. In her case, reading favorite passages from the bible really seemed to help. She would noticeably relax and even smile - even the evening she died. When I read the 23rd Psalm to her, I swear it was like an angel came into the room and cradled her - the relief and peace that came across her face was so obvious. So if your dad has a favorite book, poem, psalm, music - I think those would help.

God bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or