Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times

Advertisements

My mother passed away from Alzheimer's. We suspect that she had it for some time, but it got noticeably worse when she reached her mid-70's. Once she was diagnosed, she went quickly. Three years later she crossed over because she would not eat. She did have a live-in caretaker, and my brother lived next door to her. We all agreed against a feeding tube, and we know that this would have been her choice.

One of her friends fell victim to Alzheimer's much earlier, and she was pretty much in a vegetative state for years. She voluntarily ate, and that is all she did. Eventually she was given a feeding tube but it wasn't long before the family decided against continuing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:32 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinzas View Post
you call 3 years of pure hell "quickly"?

No, but that is quick for an Alzheimer victim.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:12 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Euthanasia by starvation may need the patients approval years before this break down if the laws on assisted suicide are in their area , as feeding tubes would be mandatory with Doctors are on the job.......And power of attorney may not have authority for assisted suicide and would sometimes need a judge is some areas to starve people to death, like Terri Schiavo they killed by starvation in Florida by a judge and the power of attorney in 2005, as this made the media as the Governor and the President would not intervene with the Florida judgment and bring a reprieve to this killing by starvation

Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Once she was diagnosed, she went quickly. Three years later .

I chuckled at the response to this....."you think three years is a short time?"

Yes, it is. Try 14 years on and see how it feels.

Just one point to add, as I went through this with a family member. Her planning and preparation were impeccable. Way beyond a DNR. Specifics as to (summarizing) "should I be in a state where I no longer enjoy life or obviously participate I do not wish to be kept alive by any artificial means". We took that to mean the things which you think about....breathing tube, feeding tube, intravenous nutrition...all the "easy and obvious stuff".

But what about feeding? Is that an "artificial" means? And how do you decide. She might sip a little tea on her own, and once in a while pick up a cracker or cookie and somehow get it in her mouth,,,chew...and swallow. But what about the aide cutting the food up, or putting in on the fork, or putting the fork to/in her mouth? Is that artificial? Where does it start/stop?

The answer for us was given by a Doctor. When she won't swallow, that is when you stop. But do you want to go that far? It is a VERY difficult decision to make, even when the "guidelines" from the individual are clear.

She didn't suffer. Every day seemed to be an oblivious holiday. But how could you tell? I know there was a period of intense frustration when she knew that something was wrong, but what? Then she drifted into a world somewhere away from what we are all used to.

Eventually, the "unconscious" things which the brain does for us...making our kidneys, liver, and ultimately, the heart, function shuts down. And the person dies.

But would it have come a half dozen years earlier I think her wishes to "let me go" when " I can no longer enjoy life" would have been better respected. For the caregiver (me) it was a LONG and horrible road. Every decision questioned...by me...by the family...by the doctors. In the end you do the best you can do.

Last edited by Ted Bear; 03-14-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 07:56 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
This is so sad. It gives new meaning to "the long goodbye" and the decisions sometimes involved. Thanks for sharing, even though it made me cry.
Harpaint - I'm betting anybody that read her post, cried. That's because as caretakers/providers/family members to someone who suffers from this disease, we all know the pain that it brings.

This quote will only be appreciated by those who are caretakers to someone with Alzheimer's/Dementia -

The only good thing about this disease is those that have it don't know it.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Harpaint - I'm betting anybody that read her post, cried. That's because as caretakers/providers/family members to someone who suffers from this disease, we all know the pain that it brings.

This quote will only be appreciated by those who are caretakers to someone with Alzheimer's/Dementia -

The only good thing about this disease is those that have it don't know it.
Except they sometimes DO know it. My MIL knew it till about the last three months of her life. Now THAT was truly heartbreaking.

I didn't say anything the first time I read that statement but after reading it a second time, I just had to point that out. No, they don't seem to know it at the very end, but my MIL had periods of lucidity when she would look me dead in the eye and say, "I've got that memory disease. I'm losing my mind. Why doesn't Jesus just take me home?"

Heartbreaking.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
My father had Alzheimers. He stopped eating and drinking. We made the decision not to put in a feeding tube, but ok'd an IV. Big mistake. All we did was to prolong the dying process. I was told by several doctors since then, that because the portion of his brain that controlled eating and drinking was no longer functioning, he no longer felt hunger or thirst.

My mother has a living will that covers this. She also gave me an unlimited POA. I carry a copy of both in my purse. The last time she had to go to the emergency room, they had to retrieve both from 'the cloud'.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
It's by far a difficult decision to allow someone to become dehydrated and starve to death. I remember one of my patients that was suffering from AIDS related dementia. The family decided to let him go and discontinued the feeding tube.

He lasted nearly three weeks and looked like a mummy during his final miserable days. He would open his eyes and look at you whenever you did something for him. There was no way of knowing if he was in pain. It was horrific to watch him whither away day by day, and I can't imagine how horrendous this would be for a loved one to witness.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Kevorkian had the right idea. It's by far kinder to end the suffering with the aid of a physician then it is to allow the suffering to go on and on and on. Why?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:53 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,527 times
My father died of Alzheimer's Disease in September 2012. He had gotten to the point where food and water would just sit in his mouth or dribble out of his mouth. In the final stage, he was unable to chew and swallow.

He had an advanced directive stating not to use extraordinary means to keep him alive if something like that happened. I was with him almost 24/7 for the six days it took him to die. It was a horrible experience. I hope I never have to go through something like that again. I feel for others who have gone through similar experiences with their loved ones. I still truly miss my father every single day, but life goes onward.

Peace to all.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:21 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,723 times
As I read - and re-read - some of these posts, I really wish I wasn't in this 'club' that we all find ourselves in. Our bond that we have is that we all share dealing with loved ones with this horrible disease. Each of us have, I'm sure, our own set of events that we've witnessed in dealing with this - most I'm betting, would wish to 'unsee' what we've witnessed.

I know it's often been said that God doesn't give us more than we can handle - His idea of my limits are far different than my own...

I hope that each of you are able to deal with the suffering in a way that can bring others comfort.
And, it's a great quote educator1953 - so I hope you don't mind me borrowing it....

Peace to all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving