U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 AM

15,574 posts, read 6,150,757 times

Advertisements

About two weeks ago my wife's stepmother had a fall and felt dizzy in her second home, a Florida apartment. My father-in-law and my wife's stepmother normally live in New York City. She has been having bouts of dizziness and seizures in the last three or so years.

After sh was rushed to a hospital, the hospital discharged her to rehab without admitting her. When my wife and her sister made inquiries about transferring her to rehab in New York City, their response was that she was "going nowhere" since she "couldn't fly for 30 days" after a possible stroke. Her husband and my wife asked them to upload the MRI to a medical intra-net so it could be read by their regular NYC doctor. THey replied that was impossible. My father-in-law and I were immediately suspicious that they didn't want to lose 30 days worth of rehab insurance payments.

My father-in-law had to come back to NYC for business. So my wife flew down to Florida, arranged to take her stepmother back to NYC by train, and took her by train to NYC. As a result of a train delay the train, which left West Palm Beach at 1:25 p.m. last Tuesday, arrived at 1:30 a.m. on Thursday morning. Never have I been prouder of my wife for arranging the "great train escape" from the possibly crooked rehab facility.

Tomorrow we'll know if she had a stroke or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:53 AM

1,165 posts, read 650,828 times
How long was she actually in the FL rehab?

If she is Medicare age, the problem is that Medicare will not generally pay for rehab unless the patient has been previously admitted to the hospital for a certain period of time (3 midnights) not just under observation. AARP has had articles on this how people are stunned at receiving large bills as they assumed they were admitted patients and Medicare would pay for 20 days of rehab.

The facility may have been anticipating a large payment from the stepmother, not through Medicare.

It is disgraceful that only 2 or 3 states require the hospital to inform the patient exactly what your status is - admitted or under observation (NY is one).

My mother was exhibiting the same symptoms - not a stroke, but low sodium was the cause. Hope her doctor can get her back in shape - good luck.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
How long was she actually in the FL rehab?

If she is Medicare age, the problem is that Medicare will not generally pay for rehab unless the patient has been previously admitted to the hospital for a certain period of time (3 midnights) not just under observation. AARP has had articles on this how people are stunned at receiving large bills as they assumed they were admitted patients and Medicare would pay for 20 days of rehab.

The facility may have been anticipating a large payment from the stepmother, not through Medicare.

It is disgraceful that only 2 or 3 states require the hospital to inform the patient exactly what your status is - admitted or under observation (NY is one).

My mother was exhibiting the same symptoms - not a stroke, but low sodium was the cause. Hope her doctor can get her back in shape - good luck.
The number of 20 days payment was floated around. I just checked with my wife. Unbeknownst to me she was in the hospital for three days before rehab started. I believe she was in rehab for about seven or eight days.

Thanks for your concern.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:08 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,477,524 times
Does she have a Doctor there or just NY seems funny she was not admitted as they lost money also.

Hope she mends well

Old 03-13-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Does she have a Doctor there or just NY seems funny she was not admitted as they lost money also.

Hope she mends well
She didn't really have a doctor there. The hospital "takes care" of that though not in a way that you'd like. But who "lost money" on the deal?

Old 03-13-2016, 12:26 PM

20,280 posts, read 16,451,303 times
They were right, extreme pressure changes could be very risky for your mom right now. The general rule is 2 weeks, but for an elderly person or someone who may have additional complications or risk factors for DVT or another stroke, I can see the doctor recommending a longer waiting period.

I work in nursing home rehab. People leave all the time, families don't like this or that, etc..in 18 years I have never worked in one who would try to manipulate you into staying, let alone lie to get you to stay. That's pretty outlandish to me, and I do not think that's what they were doing at all. We try to resolve what they are unhappy about, but if they want to go, we arrange a transfer to a different facility if that's what they want. If the family wants the person to go home, it depends...if it's against medical advice, they are not allowed to arrange transportation home nor to help you discharge her AMA.

It's the doctor who decides if she is medically stable to fly, and he couldn't care less if your loved one stays or goes, he has no incentive to lie.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They were right, extreme pressure changes could be very risky for your mom right now. The general rule is 2 weeks, but for an elderly person or someone who may have additional complications or risk factors for DVT or another stroke, I can see the doctor recommending a longer waiting period.

I work in nursing home rehab. People leave all the time, families don't like this or that, etc..in 18 years I have never worked in one who would try to manipulate you into staying, let alone lie to get you to stay. That's pretty outlandish to me, and I do not think that's what they were doing at all. We try to resolve what they are unhappy about, but if they want to go, we arrange a transfer to a different facility if that's what they want. If the family wants the person to go home, it depends...if it's against medical advice, they are not allowed to arrange transportation home nor to help you discharge her AMA.

It's the doctor who decides if she is medically stable to fly, and he couldn't care less if your loved one stays or goes, he has no incentive to lie.
so right you are I was with my mom and guess what she broke her hip a freak elevator issue.

Stress another country Canada anyway her bone Doctor said she needs an Ambulance to the local Hospital in the USA.
Then her rehab he and her other doctor did it all. She had the AARP which did help with her insurance.
Her doctors were so kind as rehab was also she got well and came home.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:05 PM

1,165 posts, read 650,828 times
Yes, I totally agree that flying would be out if the question until an exact cause of her condition was found.

I would not appreciate being told my relative was "going nowhere". I doubt a doctor said that but probably an administrator. As has been stated, people can and are moved safely to other rehab centers all the time. They are not captives.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Yes, I totally agree that flying would be out if the question until an exact cause of her condition was found.

I would not appreciate being told my relative was "going nowhere". I doubt a doctor said that but probably an administrator. As has been stated, people can and are moved safely to other rehab centers all the time. They are not captives.
What was suspicious was their refusal to upload the MRI results so that they could be read in New York. My father-in-law wound hand-carrying a CD with the results back to New York so that his wife missed their scheduled flight last Friday. I suspect that was the objective of their non-cooperation.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What was suspicious was their refusal to upload the MRI results so that they could be read in New York. My father-in-law wound hand-carrying a CD with the results back to New York so that his wife missed their scheduled flight last Friday. I suspect that was the objective of their non-cooperation.
So if home all sure go as they wish Florida as a State as rules NY does not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or