U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 02:39 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,128,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Someone I know was pulling her hair out because she brought her MIL to live with her. The lady ALL DAY LONG EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK was staring out the window obsessing about their car. Saying "company is here" or "someone parked in your driveway in error" stuff like that.

When they moved the car, she picked the neighbors car to obsess about.

The only solution is medication. From a psychiatrist not a general practitioner.

That's why it's difficult to see people arguing with the patient all the time. NOTHING WILL CHANGE. But family members find it very difficult. And sometimes the family goes in the OPPOSITE direction and is so sad they can't help talking all the time and trying to "explain" to GET THROUGH to them. That won't work either.

So yeah, changing the subject is the best thing and then just saying "I got it, we're good" is the best approach IF you can't get the subject changed. I learned from a really excellent aide who was VERY successful when my client was obsessing she'd say "Your hair looks so pretty today" or something about "Let's put that flower blouse on that makes you look so young and springtime on today" and magically the lady would switch off into a more positive direction often times. IF you didn't wait too long. But you're always laying in wait for it to come back.

Insidious disease.
The car thing has started... actually every time a car turns around or a neighbor has a porch light on... she wants me to let them know their porch light is on so they can save money turning it off.

I get called because there is a HUGE brown truck stopped in the middle of the street... which of course is UPS making a delivery...

The anniversary invite is odd because there is no address for the club house... as it receives no mail... the association has a PO Box... I was never able to explain that and many or the guests said they had a hard time finding the place as they could not use their GPS...

I guess a lot of parks actually don't have a physical address.

I don't want to fight and she can tell when I get short and asks why... I say it is because we have had the same discussion over and over.

This morning she was calling her sisters and friends saying she has not heard from them and was worried... all her family lives thousands of miles away... I was there yesterday when she spoke with all of them which is the way it is been Sundays... what is not is calling them on Monday saying she has not heard anything.

At the anniversary party she was collecting the favors so they would not get lost... I said they are for everybody and the host has extras... she still was very concerned that they might get lost...

Her intentions are nothing but the best... all the time... just looking out for others and trying to be helpful...

I guess 40 years of being an RN with more than half of that running PACU still comes through.

I did mention a while back someone collapsed at church... she was the first one there... took charge, had BP and Respiration... got the person to a better position and the paramedics thanked her for the assist... she was awesome...

Thing is she did not remember any of it next week when everyone at church was thanking her...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-11-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:29 PM

44,510 posts, read 35,964,225 times
Update:

My husband's brand new PCP nearly passed out when he took his BP at the appt today - he took it about three times hoping he was wrong. It was about 210/110 every time. This is WITH taking several high BP meds and doubling up on one of them. No bueno. He left the room, a bit flustered, and came back and said "You have an appt with a cardiologist tomorrow morning at 8:30. Be prepared for lots and lots of tests. And you're not going back to work any time soon so get your head around that."

At least someone is taking all this seriously. I personally am getting tired of checking on my husband every few minutes to be sure he's alive - and waking up in the morning and immediately running into the master bedroom to check if he's breathing. (I haven't been able to sleep in there with him because he's been so restless and sick and coughing.) He's also started having anxiety attacks since he can't seem to take a full breath. This is not good.

This is a man who is literally never sick. So all this is new to both of us. Prior to him being put on high BP meds last year, neither of us was on any regular meds. I can't even remember the last time either of us was actually sick. So this is a new adventure.

One touching note. My mother LOVES my husband. She called me literally crying this morning because she was so worried about him. Now I hate for her to be upset but I have to admit that it almost felt good for someone to be worried about one of us for a change.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,144,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Update:

My husband's brand new PCP nearly passed out when he took his BP at the appt today - he took it about three times hoping he was wrong. It was about 210/110 every time. This is WITH taking several high BP meds and doubling up on one of them. No bueno. He left the room, a bit flustered, and came back and said "You have an appt with a cardiologist tomorrow morning at 8:30. Be prepared for lots and lots of tests. And you're not going back to work any time soon so get your head around that."

At least someone is taking all this seriously. I personally am getting tired of checking on my husband every few minutes to be sure he's alive - and waking up in the morning and immediately running into the master bedroom to check if he's breathing. (I haven't been able to sleep in there with him because he's been so restless and sick and coughing.) He's also started having anxiety attacks since he can't seem to take a full breath. This is not good.

This is a man who is literally never sick. So all this is new to both of us. Prior to him being put on high BP meds last year, neither of us was on any regular meds. I can't even remember the last time either of us was actually sick. So this is a new adventure.

One touching note. My mother LOVES my husband. She called me literally crying this morning because she was so worried about him. Now I hate for her to be upset but I have to admit that it almost felt good for someone to be worried about one of us for a change.
Kathryn, so sorry to hear about your husband, hopefully they can figure out what is going on in a timely manner then get a course of action. Hopefully soon this will be nothing more than a distant memory. My thoughts are with you.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Kathryn, so sorry to hear about your husband, hopefully they can figure out what is going on in a timely manner then get a course of action. Hopefully soon this will be nothing more than a distant memory. My thoughts are with you.
Thank you. I gotta admit - I am super stressed right now.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 PM

2,632 posts, read 3,361,660 times
I'm sorry to hear this, and wish I had read it earlier.

Honestly, he should be in the hospital right now. The doctor should have never sent him home. This is an emergency. Yes, he will need tests. He needs urgent medication, and a hospital stay for a few days to run the tests and to be sure the blood pressure stays down.

Do not go home tomorrow. He needs to be admitted to the hospital.

And I would not hesitate to take him tonite.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 PM

2,632 posts, read 3,361,660 times
Just thinking about your husband is making me sick.....

Do you have any medications at home you can give him? Didn't the new primary doc give you anything to try to get the blood pressure down?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 PM

3,855 posts, read 6,856,339 times
Thinking of you and your husband. Hope they get to the bottom of the issue soon. Just keep taking deep breaths.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I'm sorry to hear this, and wish I had read it earlier.

Honestly, he should be in the hospital right now. The doctor should have never sent him home. This is an emergency. Yes, he will need tests. He needs urgent medication, and a hospital stay for a few days to run the tests and to be sure the blood pressure stays down.

Do not go home tomorrow. He needs to be admitted to the hospital.

And I would not hesitate to take him tonite.
I am betting they will admit him today. I have been shocked that three different doctors have sent him home. But they've all "almost" kept him. The cardiologist appt is this morning at 8:30 and I am betting they send him straight over to the hospital.

He has coughed all night long. But at least I know he's alive.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Just thinking about your husband is making me sick.....

Do you have any medications at home you can give him? Didn't the new primary doc give you anything to try to get the blood pressure down?
Oh yes, they've all managed to give him something to get it below about 185/95 and sent him home with it too. But his BP readings are consistently high at home too - around 200/100. One was 205/122.

THEY BETTER KEEP HIM AT THE HOSPITAL TODAY.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 AM

4,773 posts, read 6,578,403 times
KA, has your husband ever tried taking enteric-coated, low-dose (81 mg) aspirin at night for HBP? My husband was taking it every day and nothing was changing, but he read that it works better if you take it at night before bed, and so he did and then it helped. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or