U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:37 PM

643 posts, read 338,325 times

Advertisements

From what I can find in calling around, KY their best bet for help right now is SNAP. The social worker basically said that the SIL and kids need to stop sponging off the parents. So its about 100 percent on the feed back that my SIL is a big part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 PM

16,940 posts, read 17,236,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
From what I can find in calling around, KY their best bet for help right now is SNAP. The social worker basically said that the SIL and kids need to stop sponging off the parents. So its about 100 percent on the feed back that my SIL is a big part of the problem.

I assume that the 17 year is still in high school. What about the 21 year old. Are they working full time? And, if not, why not?

Old 04-05-2016, 01:54 PM

16,940 posts, read 17,236,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
In some states $1600 a month income for two people may be too high to qualify for SNAP benefits (as the other adults need to qualify for benefits on their own, not four adults and one child for $1600 in income).

However, the rules are different for the elderly (in some states). If they do not qualify for SNAP they may qualify for other programs such as reduced bills for electricity or other utilities.

Many states have websites that are easy to use to get general information on SNAP benefits.

Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-05-2016 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 02:34 PM

My wife told me that her sister would leave the air on and open the doors and windows saying it was stuffy. My SIL seems to have no clue of what it is not only to earn money but how to conserve it. To me she is fast becoming a wast of effort. I think she needs to find her own way or not. Some times you just have to let someone drown.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:17 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,109,940 times
I have some friends and business people that I contract with that are Witness families...

They are hard-workers and honest... the church community also has stepped in to help elders.

My question is where/how does his Witness family help out?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have some friends and business people that I contract with that are Witness families...

They are hard-workers and honest... the church community also has stepped in to help elders.

My question is where/how does his Witness family help out?
Witnesses do not help each other by declaration of the cult, if and when they do it they are acting on their own not due to some set of rules of the cult. That said yes they are usually hard workers and are usually honest. But the fact that they do not prepare for retirement, and again if some do its not because they are taught to do so. In fact the very opposite. They also hide pedophiles due to the cult rule that you can not turn a fellow JW into police if say your child was molested by brother soandso. You must take it to the elders and then if brother soandso does not admit it and there is not two or more witnesses to the crime you are forbidden to go to the police or any authority's. go to silent lambs. This is a web site started by a former JW who was an elder and got sick of hiding pedophiles. the list of the damage this cult does is so extensive it would take months to school people who just know of a few JWs and to say they work hard is like saying Charlie Manson was a good guitar player. The 23yo son of my SIL does not work and lives about 16 or more hours a day in his room. Supposedly he has some kind of disorder where he can not be around people. I can not say its not a reality but this whole situation starts to smell a bit. I have decided not to help in any way financially. I am going to limit my help to getting info for my wife to use or not. Its bad enough that she is using her vacation to run up there every three or four months.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:22 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,109,940 times
The carpet and upholstery cleaner I have used for business since 1985 is a Witness family... he and his kids and now grandkids all work the family business.

He also volunteers and does all the janitorial at Kingdom hall in Oakland CA.

I would have vacant apartments that he was cleaning and was asked if he could pass along the information to a fellow witness family and I said sure...

I've rented to two and one was perfect... the other one was late about 6 months in and I mentioned it to the carpet cleaner and I got a written apology with the rent in full and a note saying that they would have to be moving because he lost his job back in 2008... they left the place spotless and got a full return...

This one family and the two referrals are the total extent of my experiences...

I was invited to attend a wedding but I was going to a family wedding the same weekend...

PS... he wanted all his kids to work in the carpet/upholstery business so they would know why they needed to go to college and get a good job... those kids are now insurance agents, municipal workers and one is a teacher... all around Oakland CA

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-07-2016 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The carpet and upholstery cleaner I have used for business since 1985 is a Witness family... he and his kids and now grandkids all work the family business.

He also volunteers and does all the janitorial at Kingdom hall in Oakland CA.

I would have vacant apartments that he was cleaning and was asked if he could pass along the information to a fellow witness family and I said sure...

I've rented to two and one was perfect... the other one was late about 6 months in and I mentioned it to the carpet cleaner and I got a written apology with the rent in full and a note saying that they would have to be moving because he lost his job back in 2008... they left the place spotless and got a full return...

This one family and the two referrals are the total extent of my experiences...

I was invited to attend a wedding but I was going to a family wedding the same weekend...

PS... he wanted all his kids to work in the carpet/upholstery business so they would know why they needed to go to college and get a good job... those kids are now insurance agents, municipal workers and one is a teacher... all around Oakland CA
This is not in accordance with JW teachings. Not everyone follows their own teachings. I know of one person who worked menial jobs until about 52 then took a job at a prison so they would get a pension in 10 years. High risk state jobs only require 10 years to get a pension. To prove the point here are some of their teachings. Because some do not follow it would mean they are not going to go as far in the cult, I.E. elder ministerial servant ect. That said many have known that California has been more lax due to the moral and cultural differences from the rest of the country. In other words when your around a different culture it affects everyone in some way.

Watchtower classifies higher education as a temptation akin to smoking, using drugs, and watching violent and immoral movies. For instance, see the insert from the Watchtower 2008 Sep 1, entitled “What Will be The “End Afterward”?
The Kingdom Ministry warns:
“Your children will no doubt experience new challenges and pressures. … Are they prepared for the pressure they will receive to pursue higher education, date, and use alcohol or drugs?” Kingdom Ministry 2011 Jul p.2
Watchtower explains pursuing an advanced education is dangerous because it:
  • Wastes precious time in these last days
  • Promotes prestige and materialism
  • Shows a lack of faith
  • Involves bad association
  • Promotes higher learning
There is no compelling validity to any of these reasons, as the following examination will show.

“Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them “brainwash” you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any “future” this world offers is no future! Wisely, then, let God's Word influence you in selecting a course that will result in your protection and blessing. Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal.” Watchtower 1969 Mar 15 p.171
“No doubt, school counselors sincerely believe that it is in your best interests to pursue higher education and to plan for a secular career. Yet, their confidence lies in a social and financial system that has no lasting future.” Watchtower 2012 Jun 15 p.23
“That is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling.” Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15
“A university degree does not guarantee success in the job market. As an alternative, many have acquired marketable job skills by means of apprenticeship programs, some vocational or technical school education, or short-term college courses that require a minimum of time and involvement.” Kingdom Ministry 1999 Apr p.8

See also Watchtower 2005 Oct 1 p.27

I had a friend who moved to California in the 80s, and the teens had dance parties on the beach with beer, and did things you would be kicked out for in many parts of the country. I know that the cult worked to get a handle on it. I know because I have several family members in the Bethel in Brooklyn that have been there for many years. Before I left the cult I used to talk with them and among many things I did ask about California in the 80s when my best friend who moved there would call and tell me what it was like.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Here are some quotes about the big debacle where they predicted the end in 1975 which is when my FIL quit his job and moved north.
"The published timetable resulting from this independent study gives the date of man's creation as 4026 B.C.E. According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E. So six thousand years of man's existence on earth will soon be up, yes, within this generation. So in not many years within our own generation we are reaching what Jehovah God could view as the seventh day of man's existence. How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make of this coming seventh period of a thousand years a sabbath period of rest and release, a great Jubilee sabbath for the proclaiming of liberty throughout the earth to all its inhabitants! This would be most timely for mankind. It would also be most fitting on God's part, for, remember, mankind has yet ahead of it what the last book of the Holy Bible speaks of as the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ. It would not be by mere chance or accident but would be according to the loving purpose of Jehovah God for the reign of Jesus Christ, the 'Lord of the Sabbath,' to run parallel with the seventh millennium of man's existence." Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God 1966 pp.26-30
"Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of Gods rest day come to an end? The year 1975. It means that within a relatively few years we will witness the fulfilment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end"." Awake! 1966 Oct 8 pp.19-20
"It did not take the brothers very long to find the chart beginning on page 31, showing that 6,000 years of man's existence end in 1975. Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. "The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed," said a conventioner. Surely it was one of the outstanding blessings to be carried home!" .. Brother Franz. 'Does it mean that Armageddon is going to be finished, with Satan bound, by 1975? It could! It could! All things are possible with God. Does it mean that Babylon the Great is going to go down by 1975? It could. Does it mean that the attack of Gog of Magog is going to be made on Jehovah's witnesses to wipe them out, then Gog himself will be put out of action? It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don't any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that." Watchtower 1966 Oct 15 pp.629,631

Old 04-08-2016, 09:29 AM

A photo of the JW book pre 75 that pushed the idea the end was before 75, also now they quit using actual dates and now say we are at the tip of the pencil. Its always near.
Attached Thumbnails
help with situation-w68_1975.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or