Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:41 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times

Advertisements

Big day for folks, and the rest of the family too.

Wish us luck.

Any success stories in here?

I guess I've been what you would call a caregiver for the last few years, now we're working to transition away from that a bit. We'll see how this goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 04:07 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
Give them time to settle in. Many have a lot of complaints at first but gradually find they like it. The residents will probably gossip a lot and your parents may share things with you that sound like action needs to be taken. Be careful and don't assume that they are giving you an accurate picture. The info is often very skewed.

See if you can have some meals with them there. Good way to find out how that is handled and whether they are fitting in. Mom goes over and eats at the assisted living part and has several groups she meets there.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Give them time to settle in. Many have a lot of complaints at first but gradually find they like it. The residents will probably gossip a lot and your parents may share things with you that sound like action needs to be taken. Be careful and don't assume that they are giving you an accurate picture. The info is often very skewed.

See if you can have some meals with them there. Good way to find out how that is handled and whether they are fitting in. Mom goes over and eats at the assisted living part and has several groups she meets there.
Those are excellent points.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:48 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
As Sweetana3 mentioned, it will take a bit of time for them to get settled in to their new routine. Give them at least 2-3 weeks to get the kinks ironed out. Keep in mind, everything will be different for them, and being in an ALF is just another notch in the belt about losing one's independence.

Do you live close by? Try to visit at least every other day for the first few weeks. Visit at different times, when meds might be dispensed or for nighttime care. (Are caregivers supposed to be helping with all of their DLA's?)

Try to get them to sign up for some of the activities or entertainment.

Oh, and they WILL always complain about the food, even if it is chef quality/delicious!

Old 07-12-2016, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the pointers. Will keep this in mind. They sounded excited about going to breakfast this morning.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:54 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
When Mom went into assisted living in 2008 it was quite traumatic for her.....for all of 2 days.

I did spend the night with her the first night and part of the next day.

My sister and I were so happy with her extremely short acclimation process.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Oh, and they WILL always complain about the food, even if it is chef quality/delicious!
I noticed that with two family members. One of them nailed it on the head when she said, "the food is good but its prepared in a healthy way, for lots of people at once." Her point was, sometimes she wanted fried chicken or a pork chop that was cooked in butter. That said, another one raved about how good the soup was and I agreed with him. I caught the chef on a smoke break once and relayed the compliment; he said he made all soup from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Thanks for the pointers. Will keep this in mind. They sounded excited about going to breakfast this morning.
They have each other and it sounds like they have a decent attitude as well. Some folks truly flourish there.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 PM

They're about a week and a half into this and seem to be healing up mentally in some ways due to lack of stress if nothing else.

They are doing really well with daily physical therapy too.

We meet up with the social worker on Tuesday to see where we go from here.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
They're about a week and a half into this and seem to be healing up mentally in some ways due to lack of stress if nothing else.

They are doing really well with daily physical therapy too.

We meet up with the social worker on Tuesday to see where we go from here.
Thanks for the update. It sounds like it is going well.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:05 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
It took my mom some time to come to understand that she only had to make a call and things were fixed, problems were solved, and everything could be made ok with the apartment. Her biggest problem was that she did not want to "inconvenience" anyone and would hesitate to call on important things.

This is pretty common since the complex had every building manager discuss at their monthly building meetings when to call for emergencies and what was an emergency.

I just stress how wonderful it is to have a whole maintenance staff to take care of issues instead of having to find someone, have them show up and then pay them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving