Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 03:19 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
OP, You might live long enough to be "old". As everyone knows, there are no guarantees. How would you like to be treated? Treat people that way.
I do treat people the way I want to be treated. Especially my parents. Which is why I spend so much time with them. Hours every week in fact.

Then I come here, to an anonymous forum, to vent with other people who are caretakers and who understand my frustrations. Because it IS frustrating at times. That doesn't mean I don't love and respect them. It just means that they frustrate me sometimes. I think that's OK.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-14-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I am an old person.

I move slowly.

But I think fast.

Luckily I am a little deaf and don't see too well, so I don't usually have to converse with young whippersnappers with no common sense.

But I'm an excellent driver.
Hey, I'm middle aged. I've had surgery on both ankles. I'm pretty sure that my kids roll their eyes at me sometimes or think I have some weird idiosyncrasies. But I think fast too. And I'm an excellent driver - so far!

My mom cannot drive anymore. My dad is doing OK with the driving so far, but before my inlaws passed away last year, their driving was HORRIBLE. And there was simply no telling them that. They were determined to drive and no one was taking that right away from them, by golly!

Even after their insurance company said they would only cover them for liability and that was out the roof - they still thought they were good drivers.

I hope I don't put my kids through that.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:06 PM

13,291 posts, read 9,816,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It wasn't massive amounts of fajita meat with butter - it was just some leftover scraps, like we've fed those dogs over and over again. And it's not like my husband beat the dog and forced it down his gullet. The dog just ate some of it, while the other dog scarfed all hers down, and my husband said, "Oh come on, boy, finish that up!" and he went back and finished it up. It wasn't a big scene - till later.

And I've owned dogs all my life and always given them leftovers from restaurants - no issues whatsoever. Till much later that night. Live and learn.

The other dog was just fine, for the record. But we'll never give either of them leftover Mexican food scraps again.

I tell this story often to warn people about the richness of that sauce - which is what the vet said was the problem. Every time I tell it to people they say "Oh my gosh, I never thought of that - I give my dog leftovers all the time!"

But thanks for your advice.
You're the one that said your dog "Couldn't eat all of his portion" and he "forced the rest of it down" to please your husband.

It's a dangerous game to feed human food to pets. Especially restaurant food where you have no clue what's actually in it, and the fat and salt content is much higher than the food you probably cook at home.

For example:

Quote:
Avocado
No matter how good you think the guacamole is, you shouldn't give it to your dog. Avocados contain a substance called persin. It's harmless for humans who aren't allergic. But large amounts might be toxic to dogs. If you happen to be growing avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as in the fruit.
Here's a good link with common foods dogs shouldn't eat. Of course they're fine mostly.... until that one time.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slides...ould-never-eat

Sorry for hijacking but this practice drives me nuts, and hopefully other people who aren't aware will stop feeding dogs potentially dangerous stuff.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:12 PM

13,291 posts, read 9,816,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It wasn't massive amounts of fajita meat with butter - it was just some leftover scraps, like we've fed those dogs over and over again. And it's not like my husband beat the dog and forced it down his gullet. The dog just ate some of it, while the other dog scarfed all hers down, and my husband said, "Oh come on, boy, finish that up!" and he went back and finished it up. It wasn't a big scene - till later. My husband didn't pry his mouth open and shove it down, or shame him into eating it - it was just a very casual scene.

And I've owned dogs all my life and always given them leftovers from restaurants - no issues whatsoever. Till much later that night. Live and learn. It never occurred to me that fajita meat and some leftover rice and beans would make our dogs sick (we have big dogs). But we had never given them any of that butter stuff that you dip fajitas in before, either.

The other dog was just fine, for the record. But we'll never give either of them leftover Mexican food scraps again.

I tell this story often to warn people about the richness of that sauce - which is what the vet said was the problem. Every time I tell it to people they say "Oh my gosh, I never thought of that - I give my dog leftovers all the time!" Our vet said that he's treated several dogs who ate a lot of butter or buttery sauce who got very sick afterwards.

By the way, according to our vet, it wasn't the garlic that hurt the dog at all. It was the BUTTERY GRAVY that was from the fajitas. It was too rich for his pancreas. Garlic is not harmful to dogs, in small amounts. Of course if you feed them a whole bunch of it, like fifty cloves, it can be harmful however. Which was not the case in this situation.
Garlic For Dogs: Poison Or Medicine? - Dogs Naturally Magazine
https://www.sojos.com/learn/articles...pet-food-myths

This balanced article says that there are both risks and benefits to feeding garlic - in small amounts - to cats or dogs. Apparently the risk of harm is greater if they eat garlic regularly, or if they are small animals, or if they eat a copious amount of garlic - none of these factors were at play when our dogs ate the leftovers.
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/red-f...g-food-garlic/

But thanks for your advice.
I see you edited your post.

Feeding dogs restaurant food is ill advised. You don't know how much garlic, or onions, or garlic or onion powder, OR BUTTER, is in the food. And as you found out, it can have serious consequences.

Period.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:22 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,456,845 times
Back on topic:

My mom was blind in her later years. When we'd go out to restaurants someone would read the menu off to her. She'd usually nod, and smile, and only after the entire menu had been covered she'd ask "Well, they all sound very nice, but... do you suppose they'd make me a grilled cheese sandwich?"

Old 08-14-2016, 04:28 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,377,888 times
Well you can take solace in the fact that you won't have to be bothered for too many more years!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,514,058 times
As the brilliant Maya Angelou said “I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.”

Old 08-14-2016, 07:29 PM

11,014 posts, read 17,392,455 times
An older friend was telling about when he got power of attorney of his dad's affairs. The judge and attorney went with him to the nursing home where his dad was to make sure he was "of sound mind" to make the decision. The judge asked him a couple times, "Mr. Jones, who is the President of the United States?" After he didn't answer my friend said,"Dad, he wants to know if you know who the President is." All of a sudden Mr. Jones looked around and said,"I don't know who it is, but he's got to be a hell of a lot better than the one we have in there now!" The judge, a family friend, said,"Yep, that's him!" and signed the paperwork.

I know it's off the subject but on the side topic of giving restaurant food to dogs, I've done this to all my dogs and it did kill them. One died after 14 years of the food and the other after 11.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 PM

11,912 posts, read 8,234,872 times
Oh Kathryn, you stepped in it this time! Heh.

I've got one. Actually I've got a few. I'll tell you the latest. It was between DH and me yesterday morning. Let me preface with saying that both of us are a little deaf and more than a little forgetful (but still loveable.)

Me, coming downstairs from bed: Oh, I guess I overslept this morning.

DH: Yeah, I knew that you were going to do that.

Me: How did you know that?

DH: Because you said last night that you were going to sleep in this morning.

Me: I did?

DH: Yeah.

Long pause.

Me: Well, that explains that.

DH: Explains what?

Old 08-14-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
As the brilliant Maya Angelou said “I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.”
Oh, I know - I am not looking forward to that day at all. I will miss all this little stuff!

It's sort of like when your kids are teens. They may drive you crazy, and they may say some ridiculous stuff, but that doesn't mean you don't love them and you won't miss them when they're out of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving