Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:07 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but I figured that you folks with your experience as caregivers might be a good place to start.

My mother-in-law is a quadriplegic and lives in a nursing facility about an hour's drive from our house. We had planned to visit her this weekend; it's been a while. My wife does not have a good relationship with her, the reasons for that go back far earlier than the incident resulting in her disability.

She called my wife today and requested that we pick her up and bring her to our house for the visit. This is preferable for many reasons for both sides. The problem is that we don't want to spend a total of four hours in the car, or drag our young (3 months and 3 years) children for that amount of time. My wife is small and I don't know that she could help her mother in and out of the car unassisted were she to pick her up solo. I am willing to do it alone if it comes down to it, but it will be awkward for both parties. Her mother's English is not very good, so our conversations are generally pretty uncomfortable. Also, the way there relationship is her mother may be content to sit in our house for half an hour and declare she is ready to leave.

Does anyone have experience hiring a driving service for a disabled person who would need help getting in and out of the vehicle? She essentially cannot do anything for herself. If you have, is the cost significantly more than a regular taxi/Uber type service? I'm willing to foot the bill, and I'd also be willing to drive one of the trips.

Sorry for the backstory, I suppose it wasn't really necessary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 01:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Many cities have some type of private, wheelchair accessible transportation services for the disabled. Frankly, in my experience none of those services would ever accept the liability to lift or carry anyone in an out of a regular seat in a car or van.

When, my mother took that type of transportation (in a wheelchair) 25 years ago it cost $75 or $100 for a 30 to 45 minute ride. At that time, I bet a taxi would have been about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cost.

The private car service drivers or bus drivers that transport special education students in my area are strictly forbidden to even touch the student, in fact, many companies will not even allow the drivers to fasten the child's seat belt (the parent or teacher needs to do that).

Of course, your area may be completely different.

Does the nursing home have a van and driver? Perhaps, that is one of their extra services.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Liability was a problem when I needed a post procedure ride back home. I did get a bonded medical transportation service though

Suggest you check with the facility, they maybe. Able to refer you

Old 08-12-2016, 01:25 PM

From early responses it sounds like I may be SOL, which is what I sort of expected. The facility only offers rides to things that are necessary such as medical appointments.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Is your MIL in a wheelchair or are you expecting someone to lift and carry her from a bed or wheelchair to a car or van?

If she is in a wheelchair, and is not medically fragile, maybe you could find a medical transport service or a friend/acquaintance with a wheelchair van? Maybe, even a private ambulance company.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:06 PM

175 posts, read 366,504 times
Is there a bus system? All city/type busses are wheel chair accessible, and driver's can help with loading/unloading (as long as she stays in the wheel chair). Also, contact the senior centers in both towns, they might be able to help. The one here in my town I think would. Maybe for a donation. My dad drives for them and I think if someone called explaining the situation, they'd probably have no problem helping out.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no decent bus system around here. We may just end up doing a lot of driving.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:51 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
One of our churches was donated a special needs van. Anyone from the community can request it's use.
The fees are simple: cost of labor for driver, gas, daily insurance, and personal attendent.

Try and inquire on that .

Or rent one and hire the proper staff .

Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Get a medical transport service. Quads cannot do anything for themselves. Be ready to change her briefs (diapers)

Frankly, you'd be better off driving over to the nursing home

Old 08-13-2016, 10:06 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
The last advice is the best one. Unless you have to take her somewhere, it's better for you to come to her.

Otherwise, a cab company with a wheelchair-accessible taxi or a medical transport service can be arranged. It's much easier to get the cab to come to you at a prearranged time to pick you up than it is for them to pick you up for the return trip to the nursing home, especially if the visit is not of a fixed length of time. Even then, they'll be transporting other people and won't be waiting around for your mom. She may be stuck waiting for hours until the driver is free.

Cost for medical transport van to go from hospital to nursing home one block down: $35 incl. tip

Cost for wheelchair-accessible taxi SUV to go from nursing home to orthopedist 8 miles away: $32 incl. tip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving