Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,947,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I'm so glad you are making this happen for her!!!!

If you have ROTH IRAs, you can withdraw money from them with no penalty for educational expenses. Then she could pay it back later.
Thanks for the suggestion. Nope, no ROTH IRA's just hubby's SS and my pension and the money from the sale of our condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,629,831 times
Wow, what a life experience your DD has ahead of her! It sounds like you have really looked into handling emergency situations for you and DH at home so that is helpful to your peace of mind.

Wishing you and all your family the very, very best!

Old 08-19-2016, 09:17 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,463,584 times
Three words for your daughter...feminine hygiene products. Take enough for the whole time because they will most likely be unavailable.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Three words for your daughter...feminine hygiene products. Take enough for the whole time because they will most likely be unavailable.
While that is a great tip, it is a little outdated. Apparently it was such as huge, huge problem for female volunteers that you can now get those "supplies" through the Peace Corp.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:35 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,618,102 times
germaine2626, have you considered a GoFundMe page for your daughter? I think it's wonderful that she's having the chance to live her dream and work with the Peace Corps, but I have to admit, if I were her, I'd be thinking twice about accepting it if it meant I wouldn't be able to meet my financial obligations and being out of touch with a family with severe health challenges for prolonged periods.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,463,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While that is a great tip, it is a little outdated. Apparently it was such as huge, huge problem for female volunteers that you can now get those "supplies" through the Peace Corp.
It was just a tip for traveling in less westernized or very remote areas. I have no Peace Corps info. Glad to hear they address the need. I know people who travel with their own toilet paper also. Hope your daughter has a successful experience.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:29 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,688,824 times
I was going to suggest a Go Fund Me page also. Wonder if she can directly access that money from the country she is going to be in?

Old 08-20-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
germaine2626, have you considered a GoFundMe page for your daughter? I think it's wonderful that she's having the chance to live her dream and work with the Peace Corps, but I have to admit, if I were her, I'd be thinking twice about accepting it if it meant I wouldn't be able to meet my financial obligations and being out of touch with a family with severe health challenges for prolonged periods.
I was a very tough decision for our DD. In fact, she let me make the final decision if she should reapply after hubby's TBI. But, as a parent I felt that I could not deny her an opportunity that she had been dreaming about & planning for since she was in high school. DH is my husband and my responsibility.

Just like I won't tell my adult son to leave his family & job, 2,000 miles away and move home to help me/us. The bottom line is that DH is my husband and my responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I was going to suggest a Go Fund Me page also. Wonder if she can directly access that money from the country she is going to be in?
DD and I discussed things like Go Fund Me. Apparently, any type of crowdfunding is strictly, strictly forbidden by the Peace Corp. Apparently some people slip through the cracks and do a Go Fund Me appeal to do things like pay off their credit card bills, buy needed supplies for their service, or pay off student loans that are not covered by the government exemption/pay off plan. However, if they are caught doing this they will be kicked out of the Peace Corp.

DD and I were discussing the financial commitment the other day. It is pretty clear that unless you are a slightly older volunteer who had worked a number of years with good paying jobs that allows you to pay down/off your non-federal student loans, have zero credit card debt and extra money to buy what you need before you go & during your years of service OR have family that is willing and able to help you out financially you may not be able to afford to serve in the Peace Corp.

Financially, it will be tough, but we have been through tough times before and were able to manage so i'm confident (well, at least pretty hopeful) that we can weather this storm as well. In addition to the knowledge & experience gained by DD while serving in the Peace Corp, it gives her a big advantage to getting a good government job or a job in the private sector after her 27 months of service.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:48 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,213,920 times
Germaine, congratulations to your daughter on realizing her Peace Corps dream. She sounds like a wonderful person and daughter.

I think she has great parents who raised her right!

Old 08-20-2016, 10:48 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,009,699 times
What a wonderful opportunity, Germaine!

My youngest son's movement/music therapist did this also & it seems to have been an amazing & life changing experience for her. She developed a real bond with the country & it's people & is, coincidentaly, back there right now on a 2 week vacation.

She loved it & I bet your daughter will too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving