Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:49 PM

687 posts, read 636,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
Sounds like Lewy Body Dementia to me. My husband was diagnosed with it about 7 years ago. He has been hallucinating for years. He will wake me in the middle of the night to tell me that the contractors working on our house (at 3 in the morning) got into a fight and one shot the other. It is an exercise in futility to try to talk them out of their hallucinations. I just close the door behind me when I leave the room, and then come back in a few minutes and tell him it was just a flesh wound and I gave them the rest of the night off.

A few months ago he broke his hip and after being under general anesthesia he slept 23 hours a day for over a week, and spent 8 weeks in rehab because he couldn't remember how to walk. I was told by all of the therapists that he will probably remain in a wheelchair. I brought him back home and within 2 weeks he was walking again. Sometimes people with dementia just have to be in their own surroundings to function.
Oh my! Thank you for the laugh (bolded above)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My husband had surgery, with a long recovery, when he was still in his 40s. He took a long time getting back to normal, mentally. You couldn't call it dementia at that age, but I truly believe that anesthesia definitely affects a persons brain chemistry in a negative way.

My step mother was an alcoholic. After a mastectomy, at 70 something, she was totally "round the bend." I think this was more because she was cut off from alcohol after that, than it was the actual surgery. It makes me wonder whether alcohol serves some sort of positive function sometimes.
I'm checking in again about my husband, who fully recovered and is a quite normal functioning 67 year old. He really has a rocky recovery, every time he undergoes anesthesia, but it dies t seem to be permanent.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:38 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Sounds like Lewy Body Dementia to me. My husband was diagnosed with it about 7 years ago. He has been hallucinating for years. He will wake me in the middle of the night to tell me that the contractors working on our house (at 3 in the morning) got into a fight and one shot the other. It is an exercise in futility to try to talk them out of their hallucinations. I just close the door behind me when I leave the room, and then come back in a few minutes and tell him it was just a flesh wound and I gave them the rest of the night off.

A few months ago he broke his hip and after being under general anesthesia he slept 23 hours a day for over a week, and spent 8 weeks in rehab because he couldn't remember how to walk. I was told by all of the therapists that he will probably remain in a wheelchair. I brought him back home and within 2 weeks he was walking again. Sometimes people with dementia just have to be in their own surroundings to function.
and the snakes. Lewi body dementia patients seem to always have snakes biting them.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm checking in again about my husband, who fully recovered and is a quite normal functioning 67 year old. He really has a rocky recovery, every time he undergoes anesthesia, but it dies t seem to be permanent.
I'm so glad he has fully recovered!

Old 08-26-2017, 07:57 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If it was explained that they may not recover in any meaningful sense they might not want to dissipate the family assets for surgery. Grandchildren's' higher education sounds awfully good.
Seriously? There's every reason to believe someone in their 70's, and 80's and beyond will recover from surgery.

Why can't the grandchildren's parents pay for their college education? Who dies so their grandchildren can go to a nice college? That's just bizarre.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:49 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Seriously? There's every reason to believe someone in their 70's, and 80's and beyond will recover from surgery.

Why can't the grandchildren's parents pay for their college education? Who dies so their grandchildren can go to a nice college? That's just bizarre.
No. That was the way things were before Medicare.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:36 AM

226 posts, read 214,460 times
Quote:
If it was explained that they may not recover in any meaningful sense they might not want to dissipate the family assets for surgery. Grandchildren's' higher education sounds awfully good.
"May not" being the operative words. My mom is 86 and if she needed surgery but it would deplete our inheritances for her to have it I would encourage her to go for it. It is her money and should be spent on the betterment of her life. Maybe she wouldn't be the same after surgery, or maybe she would be better than before. There is only one way to find out. She did without enough things while raising 6 children. I think she is entitled to spend every last dime she has on herself if it might improve the quality of her later years.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
"May not" being the operative words. My mom is 86 and if she needed surgery but it would deplete our inheritances for her to have it I would encourage her to go for it. It is her money and should be spent on the betterment of her life. Maybe she wouldn't be the same after surgery, or maybe she would be better than before. There is only one way to find out. She did without enough things while raising 6 children. I think she is entitled to spend every last dime she has on herself if it might improve the quality of her later years.
I so agree with this. No one is entitled to her money and it is there for her. And as you wrote, there is only one way to find out if a surgery would help or not.

That being said, there are probably some procedures I would not agree to if I were very old, but it should be the individual's choice.

I don't want people waiting around for me to die so they can inherit my money. If I have some to leave for my heirs, that will be terrific; if not, there was no guarantee in the first place.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:10 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseco View Post
Quote:
I so agree with this. No one is entitled to her money and it is there for her. And as you wrote, there is only one way to find out if a surgery would help or not.

That being said, there are probably some procedures I would not agree to if I were very old, but it should be the individual's choice.

I don't want people waiting around for me to die so they can inherit my money. If I have some to leave for my heirs, that will be terrific; if not, there was no guarantee in the first place.
The hard and realistic question his how much good time is likely after that. And slogans are nice but when people are spending their own money rather than Medicare's, their decision may be far different.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:23 PM

226 posts, read 214,460 times
Quote:
The hard and realistic question his how much good time is likely after that. And slogans are nice but when people are spending their own money rather than Medicare's, their decision may be far different.
The only way to know how much good time may be left is to go ahead and do it. If you were spending your own money on an operation that may improve your life I would consider that a good investment. If you die you won't be spending the money on anything, so why not see if you can't get a little more life for your buck?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving