Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
People are busy, and they don't want to take care of their parents. So they place ads on Craigslist for caregivers in exchange for rent. Craigslist is filled with ads like that. This is not an unusual situation.
Yes, busy....LOL. Busy is code for "I don't want to be bothered".

And even if you placed an ad and hired someone, or you hire through an agency,you do drop in unannounced from time to time to see what is going on.

You just don't hope the person/persons hired is above board.

Busy.....LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 11:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Not too busy to file lawsuits. The plaintiff has been involved in three civil cases. They should've searched the general district court of San Diego civil cases. They would've found the defendant involved in almost one civil case per year for the last seven years.

Party Name Search

Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Not too busy to file lawsuits. The plaintiff has been involved in three civil cases. They should've searched the general district court of San Diego civil cases. They would've found the defendant involved in almost one civil case per year for the last seven years.

Party Name Search
Well, this is interesting. Sherrell filed a suit on 10/13/2016 against Teresa Muhammad. Muhammad was sued back in 2007 for "unlawful detainer-residential". How ironic.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You live in MD, I live in CA. I think I know how things are done in CA more than you do. The "nanny case" made national news. Google it, if you're not familiar. In CA someone can move into your residence(even a paying roommate/tenant) and it's not that easy to get them out, once they're in and they have mail in their name at your address they have rights. Other states have this as well.

I know someone right now going through this. They had a roommate move in(someone they actually knew) and it's not working out well. Roommate refuses to move, looks like it will be going to court as crazy as that sounds. And you can't just throw their stuff out and change the locks.

When you have an elderly parent and you have a halfway decent relationship with them, you get involved if something suspect is going on. If that means getting on plane, than you get on a plane.

Sorry, I think your "oh well" attitude isn't very nice. Maybe you wouldn't be so flippant if you find out he signed his house over to strangers.
The law is the same in Maryland and has been for well over 10 years. Nothing new there.

I googled but nothing popped up in the first 100 hits except the News10 piece.

My "Oh, well" comment was obviously directed towards my father's behaviors, not the folks in the OP. I am of the opinion that there are more important things in life than money and in my father's case, that means preserving his self esteem. His cognition is worsening and he knows it. He can no longer count money. He has hired people to work on his home and has paid them in cash. Thousands of dollars. He insists on taking care of things himself. Oh, well. If it makes him happy, so be it.

I don't know what I'd do if he signed over his house to a scammer. If the scammer were a family member, I'd probably wait until my father's death and then deal with it. I'm not sure when or what I would do if the scammer was a stranger. I guess it would depend on whether he could remain in his home until his death.

TBH, I don't give a rat's *** about the house or his money. He has enough to get him through his final days and if he wants to p*** away "our inheritance" that's fine with me.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:40 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ridiculous that it got this far, but this was a married couple in their 90s getting a caregiver off of Craigslist and entering into a deal in which they paid nothing. They had a full-grown daughter with a law degree. How does this happen? I'm dealing with my own nutty dad in his 80s - he's a very headstrong narcissist, but I"m in constant contact with him and know I may one day have to fly out to his place to intercede if he gets himself into a situation.

Literally...

I went through this with my mother. She refused to move to be near me, and I knew the day would come when I would have to intervene. I received a phone call that all was "not well" with Mom. I knew this time it was serious. I'd barely hung up the phone before I was out the door and on my way...half-way across the country, from Texas to Detroit. I grabbed my purse, threw a few things in an overnight bag,, called a taxi to the airport, and went up and down the counters until I found a direct flight (pre-internet, pre-cellphone days). I was at her door within 4 hours of the phone call.

American Express is your friend in such situations. My point---you never know when you'll be called upon to help an elderly relative. Be prepared to get there in a moment's notice. Have a cc with available balance to cover emergency travel.

Sorry, OT.....but a point to make

Old 10-13-2016, 11:26 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
I know someone who has stepped back from an elderly loved one because the person was being difficult and not making the best financial, care, and health decisions about certain things. Was obstinate and uncooperative and verbally abusive. So my friend has just stepped back. And as far as s/he's concerned: no news is good news.

This friend is quite aware s/he may have a mess to straighten out if things really go down hill. But she doesn't need the elder's money, and as long the elder is not being physically abused, my friend will be hands off. See you at holiday time. Other than that no real contact. The elder has made his/her bed what it is.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:57 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Whenever I read about these "squatter" stories I realize I'd probably break the law and change the locks and toss their stuff out then claim they weren't living there. Yes, I know it's risky but I'd be going through legal battles one way or another and I'd rather go through them in my house without a squatter in it. I'm just that stubborn.
This can happen by merely renting a room out in your house. Happened to me a couple years ago, he was a rental scam artist. Up until then, I had had no problems whatsoever renting out that room in my house.

It came as a shock: "I can stay here another 90 days without paying rent!"

Article says they lived in a house in San Diego they built 60 years ago, and long paid off, and do you realize, no matter what part of San Diego it may be, how much that house is worth today?

Old 10-14-2016, 06:19 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,609 times
Ask the rich in Brentwood how this problem is solved.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Teresa Muhammad recently moved in as a renter.

Quote:
As for Muhammad, she’s facing her own legal battle with Sherrell. In a twist, Muhammad was arrested just after her interview with 10News.

She was arrested on suspicion of felony vandalism and elder abuse. She says she didn't do it.
Accused squatter renting out rooms - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

If I were the owner and wanted to get rid of the nuisance ex-caregiver, I would've rented a room to someone with a large dog or a pitbull.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
The law is the same in Maryland and has been for well over 10 years. Nothing new there.

I googled but nothing popped up in the first 100 hits except the News10 piece.

My "Oh, well" comment was obviously directed towards my father's behaviors, not the folks in the OP. I am of the opinion that there are more important things in life than money and in my father's case, that means preserving his self esteem. His cognition is worsening and he knows it. He can no longer count money. He has hired people to work on his home and has paid them in cash. Thousands of dollars. He insists on taking care of things himself. Oh, well. If it makes him happy, so be it.

I don't know what I'd do if he signed over his house to a scammer. If the scammer were a family member, I'd probably wait until my father's death and then deal with it. I'm not sure when or what I would do if the scammer was a stranger. I guess it would depend on whether he could remain in his home until his death.

TBH, I don't give a rat's *** about the house or his money. He has enough to get him through his final days and if he wants to p*** away "our inheritance" that's fine with me.
Yes, there are more important things in life than money, as in personal safety.

In addition to stealing of money, jewelry, prescription meds, the elderly parent could end up getting abused or killed.

You have elderly parents and paid caregivers you check up on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving