Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 07:26 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Update: Mom strangeness.

She has no idea that I got the surprise of my life regarding the wills and property - I haven't said a word to either brother either. I talked to her Monday. As I said, she didn't let me in on her performance at "Happy Hour" (the program she does nothing but complain about - "It's so stupid, I never go, yada yada yada"), which was Tuesday.

After not hearing from her for days (I knew she was alive because one of my brothers had talked with her), I called the facility to be sure she was ok and they said yes, she was fine. This was yesterday. When I talked with her Monday, she was planning for us to go to estate and garage sales today. So I tried to call her twice yesterday evening - no answer.

Not that I care - I don't WANT to take her to estate sales or anywhere else today! The only reason I tried to call her last night was because I felt obligated since I'd already committed to going. I knew already she was safe and had all her actual needs met (took care of all that Sunday).

When my brother talked with her last night, she told him how helpful I am to her. Hm.

Anyway, haven't heard a word. Normally we would have talked several times and seen each other at least twice this week.

I'm liking the freedom but I do have to wonder what's up with her. She's a bit of a loose cannon.
Don't overthink it. Just enjoy!

Old 03-04-2017, 08:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Update: Mom strangeness.

She has no idea that I got the surprise of my life regarding the wills and property - I haven't said a word to either brother either. I talked to her Monday. As I said, she didn't let me in on her performance at "Happy Hour" (the program she does nothing but complain about - "It's so stupid, I never go, yada yada yada"), which was Tuesday.

After not hearing from her for days (I knew she was alive because one of my brothers had talked with her), I called the facility to be sure she was ok and they said yes, she was fine. This was yesterday. When I talked with her Monday, she was planning for us to go to estate and garage sales today. So I tried to call her twice yesterday evening - no answer.

Not that I care - I don't WANT to take her to estate sales or anywhere else today! The only reason I tried to call her last night was because I felt obligated since I'd already committed to going. I knew already she was safe and had all her actual needs met (took care of all that Sunday).

When my brother talked with her last night, she told him how helpful I am to her. Hm.

Anyway, haven't heard a word. Normally we would have talked several times and seen each other at least twice this week.

I'm liking the freedom but I do have to wonder what's up with her. She's a bit of a loose cannon.
You called twice yesterday (and either left a message or she knew it was you by caller ID) and she did not return your call. Maybe call one more time this morning and if she does not answer or return your call quickly do something fun by yourself or with a friend today. She obviously does not care about your time or your feelings.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You called twice yesterday (and either left a message or she knew it was you by caller ID) and she did not return your call. Maybe call one more time this morning and if she does not answer or return your call quickly do something fun by yourself or with a friend today. She obviously does not care about your time or your feelings.
LOL she doesn't know how to check her messages. Maybe she was screening her calls, I don't know.

The phone works two ways. I've had the same number for over ten years. She knows it. It's also written down in several places in her apartment.

I will see her at church tomorrow - if she's not there, I'll go by and check on her.

I just know from past experience that when she goes missing for awhile (so to speak - I know where she is and that she's alive), that there's generally nothing good going on in her head.

My mother is a very restless, mischievous person. If there's no drama, she'll MAKE drama. So for her to "lie low" is not really a good sign.

That being said, she's a bit constrained in what she actually CAN do.

Maybe she's having a flaming affair. Who knows!

Old 03-04-2017, 09:18 AM

That's the beauty of her living in a facility. If she were living at home alone, you'd be forced to go over and check on her.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
That's the beauty of her living in a facility. If she were living at home alone, you'd be forced to go over and check on her.
EXACTLY - and don't think for a minute that I don't know it.

LOL you know the weird thing? Most normal moms who are used to talking with and seeing their daughter several times a week would be calling to check on the DAUGHTER at this point! She knows my husband works out of town a lot and when he's gone I'm here by myself.

Yeah, she's never been the nurturing type.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Yeah, my dad will say "I haven't heard from you in X days." And I'm like, "the phone works 2 ways."

Old 03-04-2017, 11:57 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
KoA it is possible that Mom is spending her time getting friendly with the other residents and 'letting go' of the need to call you for everything. Take it as a good sign and put your feet up a spell. If she is up to something you will find out

Enjoy the peace while you can. Good luck

Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
KoA it is possible that Mom is spending her time getting friendly with the other residents and 'letting go' of the need to call you for everything. Take it as a good sign and put your feet up a spell. If she is up to something you will find out

Enjoy the peace while you can. Good luck
Well amen to this and I really hope this is the case. However, with my mom, "no news is definitely not good news." Oh well. I'm not wasting any energy on worrying about it. If she wants to be independent, more power to her. If she wants to be vindictive, knock yourself out. If she wants to be self destructive, I can't stop that. If she just wants to live her own life, that's nice but she's not really independent so there you have it.

Anyway, I am enjoying my own Saturday with nobody to take care of but myself - and it feels GREAT!

I drank a whole pot of coffee. Did some laundry. Hung clothes outside, which I love. Played with dogs. Talked FOREVER with a girlfriend on the phone. Drank more coffee. Downloaded some music. Now it's all cloudy and coldish outside so I think some Roku binging is in order!

Old 03-04-2017, 12:35 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
Sounds nice. I was just thinking she is setting herself up to get ones to manipulate in her facility. And first she has to get in good with them. More that than to be independent

Old 03-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Sounds nice. I was just thinking she is setting herself up to get ones to manipulate in her facility. And first she has to get in good with them. More that than to be independent
Well, she's incredibly strange and awkward in her attempts at friendship so I guess all I can say to her is "Good luck with that." I mean it though - good luck and hopefully she can make her own way where she is.

She is not ever going to be financially independent though - that's an area that is a concern to me because I KNOW I am ethical and have her best interests at heart. I doubt many other people in the world feel that level of ethical responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving