Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 12:54 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,019,858 times

Advertisements

Hello

I wondered if anyone happens to know where to go or have a link to the typical costs you can charge an estate upon the persons passing for care-giving.

I took care of my Uncle for 45 days, first said I wouldn't charge anything but since the other beneficiary has passed away. And the remaning beneficiary wouldn't even wait for the house to close, pulled all kinds of sneaky stuff so I have no issues charging about 50% of whatever the customary charge is.

Also because in all fairness, when he was alive, he did pay for our rent which was $1000 (we live in California). So I thought I'd charge $2000 for when he stayed with us 35 days needing 27/7 care. He woke up every few hours needing help.

I am not charging for caring for him for the first couple of weeks because he gave us $1000 for rent and paid for my food. But the remaining beneficiary is so sneaky, he's pulled so much and he's already wealthy.
If I remember right, it is about $200 a day for 24/7 care to bill. I am only going to bill for $2000 (even if I can bill for more) because it is what I feel is right in my heart. That is set. I am also the executor of his estate but NOT a beneficiary. It's just the other family members cannot seem to show up when it is time to help but when they die, I've learned they have alot more time... but such is life.

When I bill, it would be nice when the remaining beneficiary whines about it, I will say " well this is what I could have billed" Thanks so much everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 02:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,965,740 times
In California, personal representatives are entitled to a share of the estate. What is the value of the estate? Billing for your service as personal representative makes a lot more sense than trying to charge an additional fee for care giving after your uncle died and without a written agreement.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:16 PM

Thank you Technically I am called a Trustee of his will. So I already must distribute it per the Trust but I guess you read that.
I am going to spend time later today to study up on that. Thanks again

Old 12-06-2016, 05:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,993,309 times
I have no idea if it is possible to retroactively charge an estate for caregiving unless you have some type of contract or can prove an agreement. I would ask an eldercare attorney in your state.

I would not just assume that it is $200 for 24/7 homecare. I just checked what it would cost in my area for short term (several days) emergency in home care for my hubby (in case, I had to go to the hospital, or something like that).

One agency quoted me $22 an hour ($488 a day) and another agency quoted me $30 an hour ($720 a day). And, my hubby needs very, very minimal care. He can dress himself, take his own showers, feed himself, use the bathroom independently, and is completely mobile. He basically just needs 24/7 supervision and help with preparing meals & reminders to take his pills.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,387,860 times
No, you cannot legally do this. You are allowed to bill for your time as executor, but honestly many people do not even bill for this.

Speak with the lawyer.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 AM

Well it's only $2000 I was going to charge.

Nno matter what the law is, I think i will just not charge for it. That is my decision

It is actually my husbands uncle but during his dying, he remained appreciative of my care. I didn't know him well. The few words he did speak after he got so ill only meant hegave me much more than $2000 worth of value. Caring for him was an honor. How anyone could go thru that pain and worry about being a burden to me is beyond my comprehension. If anything what he taught me means he should be charging me for the wonderful lessons I've learned

I've been with a few people who died while I was holding their hand. Never had I encountered someone so self-less. I am so glad I posted this because the answer is clear, I shoudn't bill at all. The law doesn't matter. Caring for others is part of our humanity. God gave me the money to meet my basic needs, why I was so selfish to even start this thread?. I am sorry I did.
Thank you all!!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 24,993,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post

Nno matter what the law is, I think i will just not charge for it. That is my decision

It is actually my husbands uncle but during his dying, he remained appreciative of my care. I didn't know him well. The few words he did speak after he got so ill only meant hegave me much more than $2000 worth of value. Caring for him was an honor. How anyone could go thru that pain and worry about being a burden to me is beyond my comprehension. If anything what he taught me means he should be charging me for the wonderful lessons I've learned

I've been with a few people who died while I was holding their hand. Never had I encountered someone so self-less. I am so glad I posted this because the answer is clear, I shoudn't bill at all. The law doesn't matter. Caring for others is part of our humanity. God gave me the money to meet my basic needs, why I was so selfish to even start this thread?. I am sorry I did.
Thank you all!!
Whatever you decide to do is up to you.

However, for others reading this thread the answer for them may be different.
Others may have completely different situations and completely different finances. Caring for someone in your home for 45 days, obviously, is very, very different than someone needing to provide care for months, years, or even decades. Your answer may have been different if you needed to care for your husband's uncle for 5, 10, 15, 20 years or even longer.

And, of course, finances are different for different people. Some people can afford to quit their jobs and provide full time care and others are not able to do that. Or they can do that for six months but not for six years and definitely not for sixteen years. Or they may do that and not realize that it will put their own retirement into serious peril.

Several people pointed out that we believed that you could not charge for care after the person died, but to check with an attorney. But, that may help someone else, just starting out in caregiving, to realize that they should clarify what, if any expenses, are paid by the person receiving care when they start giving care. And, if they are to be paid to get it in writing and not to wait and assume that they can get paid out of the estate.

Good luck to you. It sounds like your husband's uncle appreciated your help.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-07-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-07-2016, 08:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,902,215 times
Nancy, you are to be commended for making this gentleman's few remaining days as comfortable as possible.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,965,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post

I've been with a few people who died while I was holding their hand. Never had I encountered someone so self-less. I am so glad I posted this because the answer is clear, I shouldn't bill at all. The law doesn't matter. Caring for others is part of our humanity. God gave me the money to meet my basic needs, why I was so selfish to even start this thread?. I am sorry I did.
Thank you all!!
I don't believe it is selfish to consider charging for your service. I just figured that given the circumstances, it would be much less messy to charge an executor (or Trustee) fee than to try and charge for care giving services after the fact.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Whatever you decide to do is up to you.

However, for others reading this thread the answer for them may be different.
Others may have completely different situations and completely different finances. Caring for someone in your home for 45 days, obviously, is very, very different than someone needing to provide care for months, years, or even decades. Your answer may have been different if you needed to care for your husband's uncle for 5, 10, 15, 20 years or even longer.

And, of course, finances are different for different people. Some people can afford to quit their jobs and provide full time care and others are not able to do that. Or they can do that for six months but not for six years and definitely not for sixteen years. Or they may do that and not realize that it will put their own retirement into serious peril.

Several people pointed out that we believed that you could not charge for care after the person died, but to check with an attorney. But, that may help someone else, just starting out in caregiving, to realize that they should clarify what, if any expenses, are paid by the person receiving care when they start giving care. And, if they are to be paid to get it in writing and not to wait and assume that they can get paid out of the estate.

Good luck to you. It sounds like your husband's uncle appreciated your help.
We had no idea he was as sick as he was. He was reluctant to even speak of dying, then suddenly, he just stop talking. Maybe 3 words so we couldn't have a conversation with him. He went downhill fast. We could use the money but the long term, well I would just feel better knowing I didn't charge anyhow.

Agreed. 35 days is a BIG difference than long term. And this decision is right for me, I never claimed it would be for other people. This is obviously my post so I cannot comment to any other circumstance. Thank you everyone for your kind words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving