Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 PM

525 posts, read 660,431 times

Advertisements

I've been so simply irritated by this thread that I have not responded. Hospice is a business. But their goal IN MY EXPERIENCE, which is extensive, both personal and professional, that they are there to provide end of life care. People do not live forever. There is a quality versus quantity of life issue for many end of life issues. People, PATIENTS, families, caregivers all need to be forthcoming about what their goals are. No one lives forever. How you die is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 07:46 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My stepfather was put into rehab on or about December 1, 2013. It took them until December 20 to determine he wasn't "rehabilitating." This was a day or two before rehabilitation coverage was going to run out. On December 21, 2013 we got the call asking for permission to place him on hospice. I was asked to decide for the family. I consented. The next day we received a call asking for consent to give him morphine, which was administered the morning of December 23,. He died early in the morning on December 24. Coincidence?
You've already made up your mind. If you hadn't you would have provided the information needed to give an informed opinion, primarily the nature of his illness.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Yes most of my people died from Hospice Drug overdoses.... I was aware the second and third time but still feel the drugs killed the second relative. He was in much pain. The third, no frickin way that would happen. Our family has decided to use the local hospital to get proper care for ourselves in our last days.

Hospice has an agenda which is linked to costs. Patients need to die within 6 months or hospice needs to re-certify them.. They do not like to do that.
You failed to tell us just how long the 3 people you mentioned (anecdotes btw) were in hospice.

Hospice is a rough time for everyone, I frankly don't trust emotional narratives about the death of a loved one to be unbiased. Accusations of mass killings for profit are pretty heinous if based upon "feelings".

Old 12-15-2016, 08:07 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You've already made up your mind. If you hadn't you would have provided the information needed to give an informed opinion, primarily the nature of his illness.
Exactly. My wife went into hospice with advanced terminal cancer and was in great pain. THey gave her pain meds. SHOCKER, she died after being there a day or two after being near death upon entering the place.

Frankly, I think accusing people of mass, institutional murder without a shred of proof beyond "well they were terminally ill and died after getting pain meds" is utterly reprehensible transfer of emotional problems resulting from the death of a loved one.

Don't want to go to hospice? THen don't. There you go, problem solved.

P.S. Frankly, I think in these sudden deaths in hospice that it's likely the family just smothered the patient with a pillow or tampered with their meds. See how easy and sleezy that is?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I have no problem doing that. He was 94. Just basically general body deterioration, starting with his right hand about a year earlier, and then progressive shutdown of different body parts. He became incoherent a few days earlier.

Overall I have a strong bias, in cases of extreme age or extreme dementia (my mother's situation) towards early and dignified ends. Why drag out the horrible and the inevitable?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:21 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. Frankly, I think in these sudden deaths in hospice that it's likely the family just smothered the patient with a pillow or tampered with their meds. See how easy and sleezy that is?
We sure as hell didn't do that. That's the definition of "stupid."

Old 12-15-2016, 09:23 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Make sure you prepare an Advance Medical Directive. That includes the conditions under which you do not wish to be resuscitated. It includes which medical procedures you consent to and which you do not consent to, and the conditions under which you refuse treatment. Have it witnessed. Have it notarized. Then file notarized copies with all of your physicians, hospitals and clinics. Tape a copy to the refrigerator for the EMTs. Hospice should provide bright red or bright orange placards for the refrigerator that notify EMTs of your wishes. That is the first place, and probably the only place, they will look when they enter the house. Advance Medical Directives are worthless unless everyone has a copy.

You can also file a Medical Power of Attorney. Consult a lawyer for this, and pick your Medical PoA carefully. They can make legal decisions about your care if you can't.
Yes, THIS is what I was referring to. I have to do this myself and get mom to do it.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
You people need to realize that if someone is in Hospice, they are not there to get better. The job of Hospice is to make that death more comfortable. Yes, they withdraw medications that are keeping the person alive. There is no point in prolonging the inevitable. They will stop anticoagulants in the hope that the person will throw a clot and die. They will withdraw all medications except those that keep the patient comfortable.

If you don't want Hospice there is no law that says you have to have it, but the whole point of Hospice is to die as gracefully and comfortably as possible. They will not bring you back. They will not take extreme measures to keep you alive. You are there to die. It's the end. If you don't want to die, good luck avoiding it. Life is terminal.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Hospitals are not prisons. Your grandfather was free to check himself out and go home any time he wanted.
However, most insurance companies make a huge stink about paying your hospital bills if you check yourself out. Thus, you are in effect a prisoner of the hospital unless you are a multi-millionaire who can afford to pay those expenses yourself.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We sure as hell didn't do that. That's the definition of "stupid."
Of course you didn't. In your post you kept saying that the medical staff had to call someone for direction, so it's pretty clear that nobody from the family was actually with your terminally ill 94-year-old father when it was clear that he was close to the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving