Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 AM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
69 and has CHF, secondary pulmonary hypertension, sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure (finally under control) morbidly obese and bone on bone in one knee, knee replacement in the other that she hasn't utilized correctly so having pain
Oh my goodness! That's a lot to be wrong at only 69! I am sorry you are going through this. I like the 'tough love' stance, you've got to do that to protect yourself, your children and grandchildren, and your marriage.

Congratulations on your grandchildren! My husband and I would love, love, love, to be grandparents but it looks like it's not in the cards for us. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family on your trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Oh my goodness! That's a lot to be wrong at only 69! I am sorry you are going through this. I like the 'tough love' stance, you've got to do that to protect yourself, your children and grandchildren, and your marriage.

Congratulations on your grandchildren! My husband and I would love, love, love, to be grandparents but it looks like it's not in the cards for us. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family on your trip.
Yes, it is quite a lot to be wrong but years of neglect are now becoming evident.

Thank you, we are very excited about being grandparents again.

BTW you didn't offend me, sometimes people don't have the time to go back and look at all the posts.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
What did I do wrong? I am sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intent.
I'm a little puzzled about it myself.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
What did I do wrong? I am sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intent.
You've come on more than one thread that I've seen and asked to be updated on the story because you don't want to waste your time reading it.

I just felt that caregivers already have plenty on their plate, we certainly shouldn't have to spend our time catching you up when you could do that yourself. That's all.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:38 AM

I cannot believe what happened today. For the first time in her life my mother not only set foot in an exercise room but she also participated in the class. My boss teaches a class at the senior center my Mom goes to and I have been trying to get her to take the class, I knew the ladies in the class were really sweet and I knew my boss was very encouraging. Mom said she couldn't keep up with everyone else but the instructor told her just moving was good. Hopefully this is the start of something that she enjoys.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Quote:
I cannot believe what happened today. For the first time in her life my mother not only set foot in an exercise room but she also participated in the class. My boss teaches a class at the senior center my Mom goes to and I have been trying to get her to take the class, I knew the ladies in the class were really sweet and I knew my boss was very encouraging. Mom said she couldn't keep up with everyone else but the instructor told her just moving was good. Hopefully this is the start of something that she enjoys.
That's really fantastic! Truly!

I really hope that this turns a corner for you and your mother. You set a boundary, and your mother appears to be respecting it and recognizing your right to set it.

Here's to Mom exercising! Even if it's just moving a little! That's a great start to 2017!

Old 01-06-2017, 04:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'm a little puzzled about it myself.
And me too.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Oh I am so happy for you BOTH!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You've come on more than one thread that I've seen and asked to be updated on the story because you don't want to waste your time reading it.

I just felt that caregivers already have plenty on their plate, we certainly shouldn't have to spend our time catching you up when you could do that yourself. That's all.
Nope. That's just not true. I asked on ONE thread ONE time because I had tried to find out myself but there was no way I could read all the posts over the last couple of years. I try to catch up but that's not always possible. I won't ask again since it offends you.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:33 PM

So she went to her first doctors appointment in 18 months by herself today and surprise she made it through. When I dropped her off I told her where to go and she said "I know". I thought "then why all this time have you acted like you didn't know where to go?" I feel really good about my decision to let her do her own doctor appointments for a while, I think she had gotten complacent and just kinda zoned out when we were there because she knew I was paying attention and would remind her later. Now it rests on her shoulders to listen and do what they tell her, I think she is more than capable of taking care of herself, she is just lazy and because of her dependent personality, it is just easier if she lets someone else do things for her.

Hubby has decided though that he wants her to go to Texas when we are gone, he feels like this is the perfect time to see her sons (he doesn't want them to come here) she has a very good friend in Texas that is dealing with cancer and she still has quite a few people from her church there that communicate with her via facebook. She still doesn't want to go and still mentions running away. It is actually kinda funny but at the same time sad to see her trying to manipulate and get her way. Somedays I just want to say "gee thanks Dad for spoiling her and not expecting her to be able to stand on her own two feet." But I guess he did what he had to do to keep the peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving