Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:13 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,986,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I am disabled and used to live in Colorado. Medicaid kept denying me, even though I was sure I was eligible. I finally contacted legal aid (where a lawyer will take your case free of charge) and she went to bat for me.

Turns out I was eligible for a particular kind of Medicaid called Long Term Care. No one at the Medicaid office ever even mentioned this option to me, which I found to be not only frustrating, but wrong.

A few years later, we moved here to Kansas. I am eligible for their state Medicaid, however they have a spend-down, which means you have to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket before you get any benefits. I find this rather off-putting since you have to be fairly poor to get Medicaid in the first place, so where are you going to come up with thousands of dollars to meet their spend-down limit?

I know how frustrating this is, OP. Legal aid helped me a lot, and it didn't cost me a thing. I am sure they must have something similar in Texas?
Look into getting a pooled Medicaid disability trust. It protects the spend down if you're disabled. Social services won't tell you about it. Basically, you send the spend down to the trust and use it for your bills/rent instead of giving it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:14 PM

1,766 posts, read 938,271 times
What a terrible situation! It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help your mom. Best of luck to both of you!

Old 01-14-2017, 03:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,078,297 times
Here are a few links that I found while researching to help you. The last link is for medicare, but has several applicable links at the bottom of the page that might be helpful.

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrant...nt-immigrants/
What Public Benefits Can a Green Card Holder Receive? | Nolo.com
Medicare for Green Card Holders (Permanent Residents), Medicare Eligibility for Green Card Holders (check links at bottom)

Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM

167 posts, read 186,226 times
I actually looked at most of those links (the first two). It just shows a general information about medicaid. What I am the most confused about is the 1996 reform, are they referring to people that received their permanent residency status before 1996 or people that entered the United states for the first time from their home country legally before 1996. Can anyone confirm this for the state of Minnesota, I thought she would be eliigble but I am looking at medicaid related documents for the states. She has been a permanent resident for less than five years but she has been a lawfully residing resident for over 30 years. Don't tell me that all 50 states will not qualify her because she hasn't been here long enough! Now I am starting to get paranoid here.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:33 PM

2,835 posts, read 3,158,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
I read your other thread and you mentioned that your mom worked on employment visas for 30 years! I had no idea you could do that for so long. When she was working on those visas was she paying taxes? If so, what is happening to you guys is completely awful! If not, I can kind of understand why she was denied Medicaid. It sucks but the state would go broke if it granted those benefits to all of the people who have been working here for years but not paying any taxes. I agree you need to get an attorney to help you especially in applying for SSDI. I hope your move to a different state works out. She is very young so hopefully she has a very good recovery and gets back on her feet.
Attorneys will not take SSDI cases until you have been denied at least once and probably twice. If you do a good job on the application and have good supporting data from doctors, some people get it without being denied. There are a lot of websites with advice on this.
However - if your Mom didn't pay into Social Security when she was working, then she would not be eligible for SSDI, or Medicare. If she did pay into it, then you need to apply quickly because there is a deadline to apply, from when she become disabled.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:52 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,632,542 times
Did you indicate she is back in the hospital? What medical insurance does she have?

The hospital social worker will start to plan her release and you need to be very clear that there is no appropriate help available at home. You should really press for a stay in a rehab facility upon release and the social worker usually knows what is available.

This is very important to talk about with the doctor, and coming out of a hospitalization is a good chance to get rehab. I found with my parents they just want people out of the hospital ASAP and you really have to press for a rehab plan.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Attorneys will not take SSDI cases until you have been denied at least once and probably twice. If you do a good job on the application and have good supporting data from doctors, some people get it without being denied. There are a lot of websites with advice on this.
However - if your Mom didn't pay into Social Security when she was working, then she would not be eligible for SSDI, or Medicare. If she did pay into it, then you need to apply quickly because there is a deadline to apply, from when she become disabled.
i'll wait until monday and mention social security. The hospital she was in before her nursing home wanted to apply for social security for her but I didn't have the proper information that they wanted around then but I'll ask the social worker to help me out at least for the medical portion. I am noticing there is an urgency to do a bunch of items (POA, SSDI/SSI, Medicaid...) I am not sure what other items I have to do fast. My mental health has been crumbling to pieces everyday.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Did you indicate she is back in the hospital? What medical insurance does she have?

The hospital social worker will start to plan her release and you need to be very clear that there is no appropriate help available at home. You should really press for a stay in a rehab facility upon release and the social worker usually knows what is available.

This is very important to talk about with the doctor, and coming out of a hospitalization is a good chance to get rehab. I found with my parents they just want people out of the hospital ASAP and you really have to press for a rehab plan.

Good luck.
She was denied medicaid. I wrote out the entire story on this link: http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...reasons-i.html She only qualifies for emergency medicaid. How can I press for something when no facility wants an uninsured poor "legal" immigrant (probably in all of Texas and the united states in general). She was placed in the hospital because the nursing home kicked her out (after being denied medicaid) and the boarding home (even though the place was not for her, the nursing home placed her there anyways) refused to taker her in (I am waiting on the refund on that place as I paid out of pocket for this month). So they placed her in the hospital so she doesn't become "homeless". She is disabled so she can't be homeless.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
She was denied medicaid. I wrote out the entire story on this link: http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...reasons-i.html She only qualifies for emergency medicaid. How can I press for something when no facility wants an uninsured poor "legal" immigrant (probably in all of Texas and the united states in general). She was placed in the hospital because the nursing home kicked her out (after being denied medicaid) and the boarding home (even though the place was not for her, the nursing home placed her there anyways) refused to taker her in (I am waiting on the refund on that place as I paid out of pocket for this month). So they placed her in the hospital so she doesn't become "homeless". She is disabled so she can't be homeless.
OK, I see now. I thought you were applying for Medicaid for a facility as she had few assets, but I didn't know she had absolutely no medical insurance.

I thought permanent legal residents (which she got last July) could apply for the ACA and she would get major subsidies, but I may be wrong.

You have got so much to deal with. Perhaps the head of the hospital social work department would have some answers as they surely must have dealt with this circumstance before. Since she is in the hospital they might be more helpful than just calling up an office (unfortunately).

Old 01-14-2017, 06:08 PM

I see with her stroke she had probably had no income so no ACA in Texas.

What a conundrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving