Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:38 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times

Advertisements

And possibly some things that are needed would need so many hoops to jump through it's ridiculous. Like elderly people could probably use rides, but the insurance loopholes to jump through would be ridiculous.

As a senior myself, the one thing I've really needed was a ride home from a heart cath. I had just moved and didn't know any of my neighbors. I could drive myself there, but wouldn't be able to drive home, so that was out. The procedure took about 4 hours total, from check-in to check-out, and was with Twilight anesthesia. Cabs and public transportation won't touch you if you've had anesthesia.

The stress caused by lack of transportation was far, far, far worse than the actual procedure. The doctor's staff just plain didn't understand. They, and even the hospital staff, actually argued with me when I said I didn't have a means of transportation back home. I finally got an old friend to pick me up but he's nearly blind and had no business driving. It was a real dilemma. It would be such a relief to know if an organization could be called for that simple ride home, but I couldn't find any group or organization who would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
And possibly some things that are needed would need so many hoops to jump through it's ridiculous. Like elderly people
could probably use rides, but the insurance loopholes to jump through would be ridiculous.

As a senior myself, the one thing I've really needed was a ride home from a heart cath. I had just moved and know any of my neighbors. I could drive myself there, but wouldn't be able to drive home, so that was out. The procedure took about 4 hours total, from check-in to check-out, and was with Twilight anesthesia. Cabs and public transportation won't touch you if you've had anesthesia.

The stress caused by lack of transportation was far, far, far worse than the actual procedure. The doctor's staff just plain didn't understand. They, and even the hospital staff, actually argued with me when I said I didn't have a means of transportation back home. I finally got an old friend to pick me up but he's nearly blind and had no business driving. It was a real dilemma. It would be such a relief to know if an organization could be called for that simple ride home, but I couldn't find any group or organization who would help.
I know just how you feel. I've been fortunate to be able to schedule tests involving anesthesia when my youngest had week-day hours free. BUT - once when I was scheduled for a procedure that was to take place literally two blocks from my home, my son and his wife were at the hospital with birth imminent.

I showed up at the facility and when asked who was driving me, I told them the situation. The doctor who was performing the procedure stormed into my cubicle and began to berate me in a loud voice about not bothering to "read the instructions that were given to you!"

I told him to stow it and explained the reason. He insisted I could ask a neighbor or somebody. I insisted I could not. I suggested local anesthesia and he stuttered, "Well, yes, there's that. Do you think you could stand it?" I told him I could if he could. So we did it. The introduction of the anesthesia into my breast was a bit less than pleasant but bearable.

Procedure went off without a hitch, doctor was suitably impressed by my stoicism, and told me that was a first! I got in my car and drove around the corner to my house.

I spent six hours in our local ER last night. My son drove me and stayed with me until I was discharged.
I was in pain and not paying too much attention to the conversations in the hall but he was and told me later that the hospital has vouchers for a taxi for those who have no means of transport. Interesting.

We do have a van service for seniors but I think it takes reservations to set it up. Once, they "forgot" a patient who was at our office (I worked for a medical group) and a storm was starting. Woman was a diabetic and needed to eat. Almost five hours and half-dozen phone calls later, her nephew came for her.
I would have driven her but the doctors forbade it, based on liability. Sometimes, life is just hard.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:22 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
As a senior myself, the one thing I've really needed was a ride home from a heart cath. I had just moved and didn't know any of my neighbors. I could drive myself there, but wouldn't be able to drive home, so that was out. The procedure took about 4 hours total, from check-in to check-out, and was with Twilight anesthesia. Cabs and public transportation won't touch you if you've had anesthesia.

This is something I've been struggling with lately. I haven't needed transport yet but in all likelihood will soon and on a number of occasions.

The only people I could rely on to take me home from a procedure moved halfway across the country a few months ago. I've been thinking maybe I could make friends with a few Uber drivers to increase the odds of one of them being available when I needed a ride without booking it through the app. Then I could say, "Oh, my friend Rebu is picking me up."

Old 10-17-2017, 02:12 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

told me later that the hospital has vouchers for a taxi for those who have no means of transport. Interesting.
First, let me comment on this statement: No way will a taxi pick up someone that's had anesthesia. That was the problem. It wasn't a money issue for me. A voucher won't help if they won't transport you. They just flat won't do it.

I did recently take a taxi home from an overnight hospital stay, but no anesthesia was involved. That was a reminder that nobody, and I mean NOBODY can be depended on. The day before, my neighbor assured me she would come to pick me up and drive me home. She works part time, on call, as a sitter for hospitalized people who need someone to sit and watch them. No work involved. She just sits and watches. She works about 3 or 4 days a month. At any rate, she said she would pick me up, but the next day, she called me at the hospital and told me she couldn't pick me up because she got called in to work. THIS IS A USELESS WOMEN FOR WHOM I HAVE PROVIDED TRANSPORTATION FOR MEDICAL PROCEDURES AT LEAST 10 TIMES IN THE 4 YEARS I'VE KNOWN HER. I just find it incredible that she couldn't arrange her schedule to pick me up just that one time that I've asked.

BTW, the taxi cost me $28.00.

I think you can see why I'm gun shy about trusting that help will be there when you need it.

Yes, I feel used and burned. Sometimes it's just easier to rely on nobody but yourself.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I'm sorry. People suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving