Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times

Advertisements

Call Adult Protective Services in His County/State. Tell them what is happening.

Fastest is for him/your husband to dial 211 from his parents landline, or cell (local area code) or go online 2-1-1.org

Last edited by JanND; 02-27-2017 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That is all very disheartening.... At this point most of his behavior is basically temper tantrums and making threats; although we can't be sure of the physical aspects of his behavior since we are not there all the time. He did physically abuse my mother-in-law in the past. She is currently in a nursing home so she is safe, but we don't know what is going to happen to him because he is really confused, gets lost, forgets how to do things, etc. etc. We also worry what will happen when she passes. If all this weren't bad enough, we also have a mentally disabled brother (of my husband) that needs to be looked after. He does have a good support system in place, but we will still need to oversee his care. The one blessing in all this is they do have money to afford the care they all need, but figuring out what FIL needs and then helping him get it is another story. Just hoping to avoid a nightmare scenario.
Your FIL probably needs to be in an ALF where meds are given and meals provided. He probably could benefit from a mood medication as well. You have to be careful with this. A mood medication really helped my mom, and I know she felt better when she took it, but people who are aggressive are in danger of being overmedicated in order to make them docile. But it is very hard to find a placement for a hostile elder who does physical things.

Frankly, he needs to be managed. He needs to be dosed correct meds and fed properly. If he is dehydrated, that could add to his distress and acting out. I also understand that UTIs in men can cause behavior problems.

So, he needs a physical exam by someone who deals with elderly people. And, with his confusion and forgetfulness, he needs to be placed in a safe place. This is hard for family. Don't rule out the possibility of bad effects of dehydration or a low grade infection. This is why he needs to have a thorough physical ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving