Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:36 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
SIL made changes to a previous trust. We got a copy.

MIL still did not understand what she had signed. So no - you're wrong.
How terrible that a lawyer let an incompetent person sign legal papers! He can lose his license for that. I would report him to the State Bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
My evil sister is worse. There are three siblings in my family (including me) who are no longer speaking with the evil sibling unless absolutely necessary. Our entire situation is so bizarre I keep thinking she must be mentally ill. Anyway, she betrayed her siblings and that's an unforgivable offense in my family. Even though her behavior causes me a lot of anxiety, I try to let it go. For now. She's a greedy little thing. After my father's death, I'll make sure she pays dearly with the only thing she really cares about - her inheritance. I guess I should start drafting the legal papers now. LOL

Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM
mlb mlb started this thread

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
How terrible that a lawyer let an incompetent person sign legal papers! He can lose his license for that. I would report him to the State Bar.
The addendum will be an interesting read. He is a real estate attorney with absolutely no experience in elder law.

She still does not know what the charges will be. When she found out what fiduciaries charge she terminated an agreement.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:53 PM

The new addendum is simply a reversal of mother's (and late father's) wishes that appoint my spouse as the responsible party after MIL's death. That trust was written 4 years ago.

There are additional clauses where SILand spouse "share" responsibilities - but that's never going to happen. We have not been on speaking terms with SIL for years.

We thought the attorney would be appointed as the "divider" of the estate once MILhas passed but that's not the case.

MIL is in dreamland if she thinks this will get us to "work together".

If this is not annulled or voided- we will seek other remedies.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:42 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
From what you described, she's not incompetent and she wasn't legally coerced. I recently had something similar happen and only found out after death. The legal standard for coercion and undue influence is very high. It's not badgering, bugging, manipulating, etc it's more like holding a gun to their head or refusing to give a bed bound person food, etc. Old people have the right to make bad decisions just like we do.
She expressed that she wanted you to work together, you're not interested so she chose the one who is in her ear. That's not illegal or senility.
I'm telling you that it's not worth the time and energy.
ETA a decent lawyer can argue that you're being abusive with your it's our way or the highway attitude. Hopefully, you're just venting here but if you're threatening MIL or causing drama bc you don't like her decision, that's abuse, too.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 PM

You obviously don't know my sister in law.

4 years ago - before Dadinlaw died - spouse had long conversations with both parents and they agreed - SIL could not be trusted with money. Thus the change in the trust.

Nothing has changed since that time.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:57 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:

4 years ago - before Dadinlaw died - spouse had long conversations with both parents and they agreed - SIL could not be trusted with money. Thus the change in the trust.

But it's not against the law. I literally just had a house stolen from me by my junkie mom and brother. They conned my grandma into changing her will a couple months before she died. I took care of her for 10 years, gave up my career and while I was gone for a bit working, the junkies got to her.
I'm telling you that the legal standard of incompetence and coercion and all the other stuff is not what you think.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:27 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
In my state you would be hard pressed to prove MIL incompetent. I can not speak to California. Is she truly incompetent or not doing what you previously agreed to?

Your spouse could fly out and get her to reverse it. That's what I would do.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:30 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:

Dadinlaw died. That is what changed. MIL sure wouldn't be the first widow who changed the terms of a trust or will after her husband died.

Last edited by lenora; 04-26-2017 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
You need to consult an attorney.

My mother and her sisters dealt with this when a cousin got attorneys and doctors to sign things they shouldn't have signed and gave the cousin power of attorney as well as changed the will.

The only way to remedy it is with an attorney and in the courts.

Our experience was that you are better off paying the attorney by the hour than on a contingency basis, by that may differ depending where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving