Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseco View Post
I've noticed that narcissistic people think most things are moral issues (including things that are only matters of opinions such as favorite colors) and if you don't agree with them, you are WRONG!
Yes, totally.

The other day (I think I told you this or maybe I just dreamed I did - LOL), I took my mom to a Thai restaurant. For dessert, she ordered cheesecake and I ordered sticky rice with mango, which I LOVE. So when they brought it out, she was very curious about it so I said, "Here, taste it!"

She tasted it and then said, "Hm. It's OK - but my cheesecake is much better." Because I just cannot STAND that, even though I knew it was pointless, I said, "Mom, I'm glad you like the cheesecake. I like the sticky rice. That's why it's so great that they have both options on the menu, so you can get what you want and I can get what I want."

Not enough. She said, "Here, try my cheesecake - it's so much better than that rice." I said, "But Mom, I don't like cheesecake, so I don't want to taste yours. I'm glad you like it though."

Still not enough. She said, "I like it better because it IS better. Better than that rice."

Sigh. Even the choice of dessert becomes a "My way is better than your way" contest with her. It's been so exhausting my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
I've noticed that narcissistic people think most things are moral issues (including things that are only matters of opinions such as favorite colors) and if you don't agree with them, you are WRONG!
Wrong and offensive, yes. There are no opinions. There is right, and there is wrong, and anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid or crazy or both!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, totally.

The other day (I think I told you this or maybe I just dreamed I did - LOL), I took my mom to a Thai restaurant. For dessert, she ordered cheesecake and I ordered sticky rice with mango, which I LOVE. So when they brought it out, she was very curious about it so I said, "Here, taste it!"

She tasted it and then said, "Hm. It's OK - but my cheesecake is much better." Because I just cannot STAND that, even though I knew it was pointless, I said, "Mom, I'm glad you like the cheesecake. I like the sticky rice. That's why it's so great that they have both options on the menu, so you can get what you want and I can get what I want."

Not enough. She said, "Here, try my cheesecake - it's so much better than that rice." I said, "But Mom, I don't like cheesecake, so I don't want to taste yours. I'm glad you like it though."

Still not enough. She said, "I like it better because it IS better. Better than that rice."

Sigh.
Well, that was a bad example. Cheesecake is clearly superior to rice!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:14 PM

687 posts, read 637,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yes, very bad example! Cheesecake is definitely better! LOL!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Regarding my brother is she really done? Heck no! This is an epic battle of will! Neither of them care about the laws of God, nature, or man when things get down to the nitty gritty. They want what they want. She will get curious after I stop reporting. She will continue to push her agenda. I hate losing the only person I have to talk to about him, but we are spinning in circles. I want to deal with here and now and then hang up, or talk about something else. She wants to go to this monologue which is getting her worked up for nothing and offending me for no purpose. So it's just me and the forum now. Dad doesn't want to even talk about the here and now except for the most pertinent and pressing things, and my aunt in another state lives in a fantasy along with brother.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Not if you don't like cheesecake and you love sticky rice with mango.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, very bad example! Cheesecake is definitely better! LOL!
Well, you and my mom can have an entire cheesecake while I sit to the side and enjoy my rice with coconut milk and mango. Everybody wins!

I don't HATE cheesecake but I certainly don't love it. It's right up there with, oh, creamed spinach or chicken fried steak to me - things that I'm sure lots of people love but they don't do anything for me.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Regarding my brother is she really done? Heck no! This is an epic battle of will! Neither of them care about the laws of God, nature, or man when things get down to the nitty gritty. They want what they want. She will get curious after I stop reporting. She will continue to push her agenda. I hate losing the only person I have to talk to about him, but we are spinning in circles. I want to deal with here and now and then hang up, or talk about something else. She wants to go to this monologue which is getting her worked up for nothing and offending me for no purpose. So it's just me and the forum now. Dad doesn't want to even talk about the here and now except for the most pertinent and pressing things, and my aunt in another state lives in a fantasy along with brother.
Sounds like everyone but you only talks about what THEY want to talk about!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:25 PM

687 posts, read 637,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, you and my mom can have an entire cheesecake while I sit to the side and enjoy my rice with coconut milk and mango. Everybody wins!

I don't HATE cheesecake but I certainly don't love it. It's right up there with, oh, creamed spinach or chicken fried steak to me - things that I'm sure lots of people love but they don't do anything for me.
Your mom, jencam, and I will share the cheesecake and you get the whole sticky rice dessert. Although I might have a bite! My MIL hated cheesecake. I don't think she ever tried a piece, but she just could not think of eating a cake made out of CHEESE! Never mind that it is cream cheese; all she could think of was American or cheddar cheese.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Your mom, jencam, and I will share the cheesecake and you get the whole sticky rice dessert. Although I might have a bite! My MIL hated cheesecake. I don't think she ever tried a piece, but she just could not think of eating a cake made out of CHEESE! Never mind that it is cream cheese; all she could think of was American or cheddar cheese.
Well, I also hate watermelon so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving