Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,022 times

Advertisements

[quote=LilyMae521;49051675]Yeah, me too. Didn't post bc I thought I'd be too much of an oddball. But I really like that old 50's style.

My husband bought his own home in the early 70's. It had three bedrooms and one bath, pink and black. I didn't like it then, but I would now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 10:50 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
When my dad passed I was shocked to find boxes and boxes of old clothes and old shoes from the 20's and 30's, all top quality in great condition. We have some pictures of him in some of it as a young man "strutting his stuff". We had no choice but to give it to Goodwill.
Oh, dear, I am sorry you were unaware of vintage clothing dealers and vintage clothing auctions. Things such as you describe can bring a very pretty penny.

But I am glad you didn't simply throw them away.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 PM

[quote=BrassTacksGal;49071045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Yeah, me too. Didn't post bc I thought I'd be too much of an oddball. But I really like that old 50's style.

My husband bought his own home in the early 70's. It had three bedrooms and one bath, pink and black. I didn't like it then, but I would now.
"Mid-century modern" houses are very, very trendy in some places right now. That bathroom would be a big hit with those who enjoy this style.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Well, good to see I'm not alone liking the retro bathrooms, and even retro kitchens.

Don't worry folks. I've been watching zillow for a long time, working on downsizing and there are still plenty pink and black (and green and gray) bathrooms out there, just waiting for us.

:-)

Old 08-04-2017, 04:12 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,527 times
Hey! Come to Oklahoma and buy my mom's house. (It's not for sale yet, but one day I will be responsible for selling it.) It has the original bathroom in pink with a pink tub and a pink toilet. (No black in the bathroom, but there are white accents on the sink counters.) It also has a built in make-up area to match. Mom and Dad built this house in 1962 and Mom still lives there. Original owner!

It also has a half bath for the master bedroom in blue tile with white accents. At the time, our house was THE nicest home in the area and was considered very stylish. Now, it is still in a desirable area, but the housing additions around it are newer.

Mom loves the colors and style and won't change them. She loves the retro look. Me, not so much.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
Hey! Come to Oklahoma and buy my mom's house. (It's not for sale yet, but one day I will be responsible for selling it.) It has the original bathroom in pink with a pink tub and a pink toilet. (No black in the bathroom, but there are white accents on the sink counters.) It also has a built in make-up area to match. Mom and Dad built this house in 1962 and Mom still lives there. Original owner!

It also has a half bath for the master bedroom in blue tile with white accents. At the time, our house was THE nicest home in the area and was considered very stylish. Now, it is still in a desirable area, but the housing additions around it are newer.

Mom loves the colors and style and won't change them. She loves the retro look. Me, not so much.

Sounds very cool.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Well, good to see I'm not alone liking the retro bathrooms, and even retro kitchens.

Don't worry folks. I've been watching zillow for a long time, working on downsizing and there are still plenty pink and black (and green and gray) bathrooms out there, just waiting for us.

My own downstairs bathroom (in the house purchased by my parents when I was a small child, now my home once again) dates to the late 1930s and has been maintained rather than renovated. It has turquoise and black tiles, and art deco fixtures. Walls are painted cream. Raspberry towels and a print shower curtain incorporating turquoise, raspberry, cream and light green work very well to warm it up and update the look a bit without destroying the original stuff.

I like it!

Old 08-04-2017, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My own downstairs bathroom (in the house purchased by my parents when I was a small child, now my home once again) dates to the late 1930s and has been maintained rather than renovated. It has turquoise and black tiles, and art deco fixtures. Walls are painted cream. Raspberry towels and a print shower curtain incorporating turquoise, raspberry, cream and light green work very well to warm it up and update the look a bit without destroying the original stuff.

I like it!
It sounds charming!

One of the cutest bathrooms I ever had, had original tile work from the 1940s - burgundy and gray halfway up the walls, with black and white little tiles on the floor. I wallpapered above the tiles with a burgundy and gray "mattress bunting" pattern - very small and lowkey pattern but it was perfect with the tile. Then I decorated it in a Wind in the Willows theme - it was a kids' bathroom and it was SO CUTE.

https://www.aconsciousrethink.com/wp...in-willows.jpg

Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post

I wish I had those bathrooms! I wouldn't touch a thing! There are on-line places where you can list"intact" homes like your mom's.

Not everyone wants a house that has been "HGTVed".

Mid Century Modern is so hot right now!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:50 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Yeah, me too. Didn't post bc I thought I'd be too much of an oddball. But I really like that old 50's style.

I'm also a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving