Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 05:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Just curious, who pays for the 24 hour care in the US? Government, insurance, person themselves, family? Is it the same situation in nursing homes?
Most people here find round the clock care at home unaffordable in the long term.
Generally speaking, the family or person pays.

And yes, "good help is hard to find" and generally very expensive in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,282,587 times
I pay $24/hour to have people from an agency be in my Dad's house 24/7 to care for him (dementia). Do they do a lot of work? No. But since I can't be there 24/7, it was the only option to abide by his wishes to be at home and not at a facility. Right now it's 24 hour shifts per person cycling in/out of the house, and have a stable (for now) 4 girls, one been around a month, 2 about a year, and one over 2 years, caring for Dad. My parents never protected their assets, so if he had to be moved to assisted living/nursing home all assets would be gone. But money isn't the motivating factor, my Dad' wishes are.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I pay $24/hour to have people from an agency be in my Dad's house 24/7 to care for him (dementia). Do they do a lot of work? No. But since I can't be there 24/7, it was the only option to abide by his wishes to be at home and not at a facility. Right now it's 24 hour shifts per person cycling in/out of the house, and have a stable (for now) 4 girls, one been around a month, 2 about a year, and one over 2 years, caring for Dad. My parents never protected their assets, so if he had to be moved to assisted living/nursing home all assets would be gone. But money isn't the motivating factor, my Dad' wishes are.
This comes to over $210,000 a year which is over $420,000 over the past two years and could go on for much longer. Most folks can't afford to do this for long.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,884 times
Sometimes one's wishes aren't practical. Sad but true.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:32 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,568,640 times
Most of us think we would prefer to stay in our homes until we die. Sometimes that is not financially feasible and sometimes it not the best decision medically or emotionally.

I have a friend that fought hard to stay in her home but the caregivers that were hired to help her stole from her. She moved in to a independent care facility with help available when necessary and she is very happy. She has meals and medical help available not to mention the social interaction.

If you are going to hire caregivers be prepared to keep a very close eye out.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Since I became a FT caregiver for a disabled parent the day I turn age 18 ,,, I have since kept 2 living spaces in all my homes. I usually also buy a couple neighbor homes, and use as rentals until I need one for a caregiver or another 'patient'. (Parent or child)

My mom pays $14/hr for a live-in. Her LTC covers it. 10 hrs / day 'on-duty'. Light chores through the night if required, in exchoge for housing.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:09 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We made the move, and brought my mother(91) home from rehab after 2 months. We've hired a live-in 24 hour CNA, through a well-regarded agency. The aide has her own room and bath. My mother has no senility issues, but she has limited mobility after falling and fracturing her back.

The aide will be paid through the agency, which charges about $2000/week. We do not know how much of that translates into the salary of the CNA. Today my brother said we are expected to provide a food budget for the aide, on top of the salary and room. Does anyone know if that's the norm, and if there are any other expenses we should plan for?
You have to give them time off or they won't last long. Never count on one person, too much can happen. You might be better off placing her or taking her to an easy living place. At least there would be changes in personal and people her age around.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Since I became a FT caregiver for a disabled parent the day I turn age 18 ,,, I have since kept 2 living spaces in all my homes. I usually also buy a couple neighbor homes, and use as rentals until I need one for a caregiver or another 'patient'. (Parent or child)

My mom pays $14/hr for a live-in. Her LTC covers it. 10 hrs / day 'on-duty'. Light chores through the night if required, in exchoge for housing.
It's a shame a family member can't be paid like that. Sure would make things easier for us in the long run. Food and board is fine, and I'm happy to be caring for my mom.

Like I say sometimes, "hardest job I ever had, for the least pay." But I understand life isn't fair.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:43 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Just curious, who pays for the 24 hour care in the US? Government, insurance, person themselves, family? Is it the same situation in nursing homes?
Most people here find round the clock care at home unaffordable in the long term.
In my mom's case, it all came out of her savings.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:03 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Mod cut.

My mother sounds much more lucid on the phone, and much happier than she did in the rehab center.[/quote]

But I'll leave my novel upthread for future reference/others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Actually I asked for the experiences of those who had used a live-in, not the opinions of those who thought we shouldn't.
That's not how the internet works but my suggestion is to not give so much information if you don't want EXPERIENCED feedback.

You could have just asked the question about the LAW/and/or agency policies.

OR you actually could have asked the agency which is sort of ironic. But I guess I read YOU weren't the one who arranged the care so you didn't have all the facts and for some reason didn't ask your family who DID arrange the care. Which explains the confusion about everything.

Including saying she's not ambulatory but now she's going out grocery shopping and walking around. LOL

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-22-2017 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Orphaned comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving