Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times

Advertisements

As it happens, I just heard a story the other day of a man whose wife could not find her way home from the store. . . Her husband picked her up and took her to the ER. They diagnosed her with some sort of urinary infection. Apparently this can cause dementia like symptoms??!! At any rate, lady is now FINE after some simple antibiotics! I am no doctor but certainly easy enough to make sure to ask about them to check this while they are testing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 02:40 PM

804 posts, read 545,277 times
I think it is the medications from the doctor and her health habits. Quality of life goes a long way.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:41 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,002,075 times
This happens all the time. 40's is "early for Alzheimer's", but in reality, it's not that crazy. We see the same problems (memory loss, coordination loss, overall loss of nervous system function) and worse in childhood diseases (like severe autism, and other neurological disorders) today. In people of all ages, in fact.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:22 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Many of these psychiatric medications will also deplete nutrients needed by the brain.

nutrient depletion from antidepressants

Long-term deficiency of B12 is linked to brain atrophy which is mostly irreversible. Even normal levels of B12 is linked to brain atrophy which indicates that the normal range for the elderly is too low.
I'm finding that there may be sleep problems associated with supplementing vitamin B12. I've been researching it since I'm finding that she's staying up late at night, waking in the middle of the night to read, and then sleeping into mid day. Per the grey information box in the following article and other information, taking vitamin B12 at night may be disrupting the melatonin production cycle necessary for sleep.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/wel...you-alert1.htm

The doctor's office's recommendation is for 1000 Mcg for age 60 and above without any specificity as to time of day. The recommendation wasn't forthcoming until I notified her last year I was adding the supplement.

All of her other medications are recommended for night-time.

https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-su...ey.html#quest1

So the first of two 500 mg Metformin and the B12 will be the morning regimen.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Generally speaking, people with bona fide mental health issues, on or off medication, are at a higher risk for dementia. This makes sense when you think about it. Brain disorders.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I think you really need to get to the ER ASAP and have brain imaging done. Look, this is serious if she's at the point of driving on a sidewalk. Plus, she has a dying lady in her care, and hospice won't be there every day or around the clock. What if she forgets to do something for the lady? Even if it's a lapse that does no harm, the family could be really pissed if she's not on her game. They are paying her $5 grand a month for her to be on her game.

If this was just about her not being able to handle her affairs, maybe you could wait for a psychiatrist to adjust the meds or investigate hormonal stuff -- but the safety of others is now at play.

I really feel for you, this is frightening stuff. I honestly hope it's something that can be fixed easily.
Agreed.

I just noticed this thread.

I can't recall anyone with this as a symptom of regular old dementia/Alz.

Quote:
She told me she went to go pay a bill, and she was trying to say "four hundred" but couldn't stop saying "four."
The first thing I thought of was brain tumor or injury.

FWIW.

She totally should have been to a neurologist by now.

Unless her psychiatrist is not typical, she's going to have to go back soon for any refills on all those drugs, too.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:20 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I am sorry to hear about your MIL. That sounds awful.
Mom isn't eligible for Medicaid.
If she is actually diagnosed she may be eligible for Medicare assistance. You know that is the other thing that is covered is disability.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
<>have your mother checked for a urinary track infection. It's a long shot but sometimes something so simple as a urinary track infection can cause havoc to a person's mental health.
+1 on this. That is what brought on the crisis for my FIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving