Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 03:12 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times

Advertisements

Is there any compelling reason to do this?

Mom's Driver's License has just expired. She was moved from assisted living to the memory care unit this summer because she required more care than assisted living could provide. I used to load mom into my Tacoma 4WD for holidays at my sister. I have a footstool I keep in the tool box so she can climb into the cab. However, she would not be able to do that now, so we have been visiting her on holidays, instead.

Getting an Ohio state ID requires an in person visit to the BMV. There is no getting around that requirement (We also require photo ID in order to vote). Mom weighs as much as I do, so lifting her into my truck is not an option. Even if I were strong enough, the force required would probably injure her.

I would have to arrange ambulance transport to and from the BMV. Although I was the only customer on 12/27/2017 for my plate sticker, the odds on this happening again are not good. The ambulance might have to wait for up to an hour. Mom is also not continent and requires an adult diaper. While the trust has the money for this sort of thing, I dislike the thought of spending that kind of money unless I absolutely need to. I also dislike the idea of making the Normandy Invasion type plans it would take to pull this off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 03:24 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
I know exactly what you mean. My mom's license expires in Feb. 2018. While she no longer drives, I think she needs at least a TX state ID card, in case she needs to ever go to an Emergency Room/Hospital or Assisted Living. She would have to go in person, as they need to update her photo and fingerprints.

It's such a hassle, but when it warms up a little, we'll be doing it.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I cannot think of any reason she would need a state ID. She is not traveling by air and probably will not vote. She does not need it for entry to memory care or for any services. The only think my husband could think of were any benefits that she would qualify for from the State that required a State issued ID.

Perhaps your state's nursing home ombudsman's office might help?

Old 12-31-2017, 03:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I cannot think of any reason she would need a state ID. She is not traveling by air and probably will not vote. She does not need it for entry to memory care or for any services. The only think my husband could think of were any benefits that she would qualify for from the State that required a State issued ID.

Perhaps your state's nursing home ombudsman's office might help?
We have an evaluation meeting with the nursing home on January 10. I should be able to attend, and will try to remember to ask about it.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:18 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Could you beg, borrow or rent a minivan? They are lower and have big doors.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:54 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
the nursing home probably has a way to transport her, if it is necessary.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:11 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
My mother had Alzheimer’s and we did not get any state ID renewed. All the hospital ever requested was an insurance card.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Our local hospital requires photo ID. Even my Dr office required it so they could put the Patient photo online with their newest fancy schmanzhy program. Real reason is passing around the insurance cards/medical ID sharing.

It is sad that life has to get so complicated. I wish you luck with this project.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Keep her expired photo ID. Bet no one at the hospital or doctor's office would ever notice.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:31 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Keep her expired photo ID. Bet no one at the hospital or doctor's office would ever notice.
If it is really difficult to get your Mom to the DMV, then I would just do this. I took my late Mom to the DMV when she was still mobile and in Assisted Living, before she went into Memory Care. When she transitioned into Memory Care my sister and I visited her on the premises, but didn't take her anywhere out of the facility, although she would go on the little "trips" that the place provided (and Mom wore Depends then too). So I understand how it would be difficult for you to take her to the DMV at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving