Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:12 AM

908 posts, read 960,613 times

Advertisements

I've posted before. my parents have been in an ALF since april. with the regular medication, food and care they've been receiving they've greatly improved. they have a host of health issues plus both were diagnosed with dementia. but they want to go out weekly and have lunch with friends who live nearby as well as go grocery shopping. their doctor wrote that they are not allowed to go out on their own. they are very upset about this and i think they actually are functional enough to do what they want to do (it's all within a few blocks of the ALF). they are feeling frustrated and want to leave. they're fairly young, 80 whereas most ppl who live there are at least 85. should i contact their doctor and see if he can change his instructions? i tried contacting him and haven't heard back. or are they right and they should not leave unaccompanied and they will get used to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
First, the issues have nothing whatever to do with what their age is. A friend's husband is in Memory Care for advance dementia at 57.

It was serious enough their doctor said they should not be on their own. But if they have improved with care, maybe after another evaluation, he could be modify the instructions. I would not try to go around these instructions until such an evaluation.

Why don't the friends come over or take them since it only says they cannot go out "on their own"?

Some things to think about:
If they got lost, can either process what to do to figure this out? Thinking of the diagnosis of dementia.
If one falls, can either secure help? Thinking of physical issues and health issues.
Are they using appropriate assistance devices like canes or walkers for protection? or are they defensive about it?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
How are they getting to lunch? Surely the ALF and doctor are not saying that their friends cannot pick them up and take them somewhere? They're not going out alone in that case.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I agree, see if will be Ok if the friends fetch them, the alf is probably afraid if they walk to the restaurant, that they might get lost. It does happen. Can someone take them shopping?

Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
If they get upset, agitated, or angry in public, they get disoriented. Whoever is with them needs to know how to handle them where their thought process could be overloaded by social situations. It's not simply memory loss.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
KA is correct. Their friends can pick them up. Also ALF usually have a van to take them to the stores, doctor's visit, special events or just to ride around in the neighborhood.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Can you go and take them out?

My mom was in a nursing home and we were allowed to pick her up and take her places. But no - they couldn't just walk out on their own. Well they tried, but the alarms would go off.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If they get upset, agitated, or angry in public, they get disoriented. Whoever is with them needs to know how to handle them where their thought process could be overloaded by social situations. It's not simply memory loss.
True, and if they get disoriented in public, they get upset, agitated and angry (so vice versa). As we've all discussed often, dementia is a total game changer and makes the possible actions and reactions of loved ones unpredictable and often frightening for all involved. Definitely frustrating for all involved, and when a loved one has dementia, they can't usually handle frustration well.

My mother and my MIL both reverted to lashing out physically, which not saying they NEVER did this in the past, but they weren't typically violent, especially over "little things." I do think that dementia removes filters and people often revert to their most basic impulses.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:42 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
True, and if they get disoriented in public, they get upset, agitated and angry (so vice versa). As we've all discussed often, dementia is a total game changer and makes the possible actions and reactions of loved ones unpredictable and often frightening for all involved. Definitely frustrating for all involved, and when a loved one has dementia, they can't usually handle frustration well.

My mother and my MIL both reverted to lashing out physically, which not saying they NEVER did this in the past, but they weren't typically violent, especially over "little things." I do think that dementia removes filters and people often revert to their most basic impulses.
It really feeds on itself. The irony in my situation is the exact opposite. If she is upset with me, the presence of someone else forces her to behave herself.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving