Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:05 PM

23,238 posts, read 18,751,797 times

Advertisements

Same boat as others on this thread....single, no kids, only a couple of remote relatives, and someone who has never understood why a complete stranger should have any say over what I do at the functional end of my own life. I don't care if its those remote relatives, the medical profession, government officials, elected or religious mouthpieces. No, I'm not "depressed". I've been there in the past and fully appreciate the difference. I would hate to use a violent method mostly because I would not want to horrify the innocent person who finds the scene. I've often thought about traveling far away to a remote spot for it, but again, that would involve innocent people if I can't manage the logistics without help. I heartily wish this country would grow up and face this need in a compassionate manner, not a politically expedient manner.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I tell myself, if I ever get the diagnosis of Lewy body dementia, which my Father had, I am going to off myself. I know how, still contemplating where. If it ever comes to it. I intend to do it before I loose all my marbles.
Right there with you. My father had it as well. Watching him deteriorate was horrid and cost millions for his care. I don’t want to do that to my family.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
After being responsible for elder care for more than a decade I believe suicide is the way to go. When I can no longer care for myself and live independently, I no longer wish to be here. Will I have the guts to do it? I guess you never know till the time comes. I also think most people have considered this and for one reason or another, fail to follow through. Or wait too long.

Dementia killed my father and he used his last functioning brain cell begging me to kill him. I couldn't do it. But it would have been a better end for him if I had!

Old 02-25-2018, 06:47 PM

44,345 posts, read 20,044,222 times
Sorry, folks, but this thread is now closed. It got out of hand with people relating specific ways to commit suicide and City-Data is not the proper place for such a discussion. It may be best discussed with your medical professional or legal counselor.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.