Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times

Advertisements

"Medicare, Medicaid, the Department of Veterans Affairs and most U.S. insurance companies will not cover care or medicine as long as patients are outside the United States."

Seniors Head South to Mexican Nursing Homes - ABC News

Prices for retirement facilities vary widely in the US. If you move to a rural state or a rural part of the state, the prices come down substantially and will be covered by the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 AM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You're free to get all the care you want in Mexico. Why should the US government pay for it?

In today's political climate, I find it problematic that we want to export the care of the elderly to people we denigrate daily.
Most people cannot afford the $6-10,000 a month and more costs of assisted living in this country. I too find it problematic that costs in this country are so out of control. We paid $500 for my mother to be taken literally across the street in an ambulance. Paying out of pocket for all your care there is still a smaller amount than paying for insured care here. My mother paid almost $400 a month for her supplemental. And of course Medicare doesn't pay for any dental care.

There are already many American doctors near the border areas especially near California. Americans go back and forth for things that are too expensive here like dental care, and they are seeing American dentists and doctors while they do so.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I find the bolded to be horrid.
People are just yapping without first hand experience.

Just try getting dementia or Alz and see what the "live in aides for a pittance" gets you.

They can barely be contained in the US with the BEST of modern medicine, financial resources, and skilled workers AND family.

If the patient can't be controlled, WHO is going to prevent the aide from physical and chemical restraints, just for starters.

NOBODY.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
"Medicare, Medicaid, the Department of Veterans Affairs and most U.S. insurance companies will not cover care or medicine as long as patients are outside the United States."

Seniors Head South to Mexican Nursing Homes - ABC News

Prices for retirement facilities vary widely in the US. If you move to a rural state or a rural part of the state, the prices come down substantially and will be covered by the above.

Medicare doesn't pay for retirement care period, only skilled care like rehab. Medicaid pays when you've spent all your assets down to $2,000 a month. It is very hard to find a good place with open Medicare beds, they are only required to have a few. My mother was declined by many ALFs even the one I had been working in for 8 years. The ALF she is now agreed to let her stay on Medicaid only after she paid privately for 18 months. Her room is $9,000 a month. Not many can afford to do that. MOST who retire depending upon Medicaid will end up in nursing homes, not assisted living or a retirement home.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
People are just yapping without first hand experience.

Just try getting dementia or Alz and see what the "live in aides for a pittance" gets you.

They can barely be contained in the US with the BEST of modern medicine, financial resources, and skilled workers AND family.

If the patient can't be controlled, WHO is going to prevent the aide from physical and chemical restraints, just for starters.

NOBODY.
These are not 3rd world places, they are luxurious places many being built by American companies. There are several people on the Retirement forum who have moved to Mexico or the Dominican Republic or other ex-pat heavy countries (there are many Americans already there) who state they have great help for the money.

This is a potential financial windfall for these countries as well as the developers of these places. They are not going to allow substandard care because their economic future depends on more Americans coming, and that isn't going to happen if the care is poor.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You're free to get all the care you want in Mexico. Why should the US government pay for it?

In today's political climate, I find it problematic that we want to export the care of the elderly to people we denigrate daily.
Nobody is talking about exporting care to "people we denigrate daily".

And nobody is "denigrating daily" the Mexican people.

Come here LEGALLY and we're all cool.

Didn't take long. NINE POSTS in, and politics has to come UP.

Perhaps you're unaware that other countries actually DO this.

Germany 'exporting' old and sick to foreign care homes.

Yanno, Germany. That great international leader of the EU.

"On average each patient is given only around 53 minutes of individual care every day, including feeding them," she said. "Often there are 40 to 60 residents being looked after by just one carer."

Where I work, as a contractor, there are 22 beds and 1 RN, 1 LPN, and 3 CNAs who also rotate duties with a coupla HHAs.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:03 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,083,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Truth be told, the smaller, "rural" homes can't survive on revenue from Medicaid patients. There is a huge gap between the $60K -- $90K annual cost of assisted living in the USA and the income most have available to pay for it.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I find the bolded to be horrid.
Why? Lots of people pay $10 per hour in the US and those folks can't live on that either!!! We tend to under pay the people who do the most for us here too. And how much do you think that agency you hired is actually paying that worker?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I thought about the ex-pat thing a lot. It was probably attractive to me because I do speak other languages and I have spent years out of the US. I would probably be pretty comfortable. Eventually I decided against it because it would be very hard to be in a foreign country with declining mental faculties.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:11 PM

453 posts, read 317,604 times
There is not such thing as an "ex-pat", these are immigrants just like everybody else. They move to those countries because they lack something, or in the search for something, just like any other immigrant. That "thing" might not be financial in nature but thats besides the point. A lot of the immigrant to the resort areas in the Caribbean cant retire in their home countries with their lousy pensions making them economic immigrants also. Looking for places were they be financially stable or get best value for their money/labor, just like all other immigrants in the world. "ex-pat" is just another racist construct so distance your self from the act of emigrating by thinking it was a "Choice". Emigrating is always a choice useless you are a refugee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving