Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM

922 posts, read 784,268 times

Advertisements

Greetings! Many of you may remember the story of my daughter, Karen, who was in a serious automobile accident in 2016. She has done a great job of recovering, and although she still has some issues with all the hardware that is holding her arm and pelvis together, for the most part she now has an active and happy life. Unfortunately, she now has another problem, for which she gave me permission to ask advice.

She has been having some issues with one of her breasts. She had an ultrasound, which discovered a large amount of cysts, so she was sent to Goodland for a mammogram and another ultrasound. These tests discovered more cysts and something called an "architectural distortion". These results were sent to a special radiologist to read, who has told her she needs to have an MRI and probably a needle biopsy.

Herein lies the problem- because of the special type of MRI that is required she would have to go to Denver, which is a three hour drive from where she lives. For most people that wouldn't be an issue, but their van was destroyed in the accident, and they have an old SUV that is only good for around town and the occasional trip to Goodland. There is no way her father and step-mother will take her, in fact they gave DD bill for the expenses of her father going to Denver to see her in the hospital, so there is no way they would even ask for help from them. They can't afford to rent a car.

So I am asking if anyone out there in CityData Land knows of anything or anyone that helps people with transportation from rural areas to obtain necessary medical care some distance from where they live. It could probably all be taken care of in one day. I wish I could go and take her, but I am disabled and live at the other end of the state and am even more "economically challenged" than she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 11:50 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,026,928 times
I would contact the local Council on Aging and Disability and if they can not provide transportation they may have suggestions. Also, contact her local doctors, the local hospital and the hospital that needs to do the test. Ask to speak to the Social Worker or Care Coordinator they may have some suggestions. Another idea is to ask the pastor/priest/whatever at her local church. They may know someone who would volunteer to drive her.

I know that she does not have cancer (or at least has not been diagnosed with cancer) but call up Cancer agencies. They often have funds for transportation or volunteers who provide transportation. Heck, if I lived in that area, I would volunteer to drive her.

Good luck.

And, shame on her father for sending her a bill for visiting his own daughter in the hospital. Shame on him.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:54 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,467,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I would contact the local Council on Aging and Disability and if they can not provide transportation they may have suggestions. Also, contact her local doctors, the local hospital and the hospital that needs to do the test. Ask to speak to the Social Worker or Care Coordinator they may have some suggestions. Another idea is to ask the pastor/priest/whatever at her local church. They may know someone who would volunteer to drive her.

I know that she does not have cancer (or at least has not been diagnosed with cancer) but call up Cancer agencies. They often have funds for transportation or volunteers who provide transportation. Heck, if I lived in that area, I would volunteer to drive her.

Good luck.

And, shame on her father for sending her a bill for visiting his own daughter in the hospital. Shame on him.
This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing!

Old 03-23-2018, 11:55 AM

15,243 posts, read 12,865,121 times
Is your daughter on Medicaid? Here's a chart that is dated but provides some information about how Medicaid covers non-emergency medical transport:

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/state-i...2:%22asc%22%7D

I am glad she is recovering well. I'm sure her physician has told her that an architectural distortion is often benign but since there is a small chance it might not be it needs to be checked out. If it helps, the needle biopsy is done under a local anesthetic and most women feel very little pain.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is your daughter on Medicaid? Here's a chart that is dated but provides some information about how Medicaid covers non-emergency medical transport:

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/state-i...2:%22asc%22%7D

I am glad she is recovering well. I'm sure her physician has told her that an architectural distortion is often benign but since there is a small chance it might not be it needs to be checked out. If it helps, the needle biopsy is done under a local anesthetic and most women feel very little pain.
Good idea. If that truly is the closest hospital where she can receive treatment I bet that her Medicaid Case Manager can figure something out.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My sister paid my niece to visit her grandmother in the nursing home every day until Granny died.

But I agree, the OP's ex takes the cake.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My sister paid my niece to visit her grandmother in the nursing home every day until Granny died.

But I agree, the OP's ex takes the cake.
While that does seem odd for your sister to do that, it wasn't the granddaughter sending grandmother a bill because she visited her.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While that does seem odd for your sister to do that, it wasn't the granddaughter sending grandmother a bill because she visited her.
That's true. Not directly analogous.

Just another entry for the "Weird Things People Do With Institutionalized Relatives" file.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:07 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,854,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Oh, you would not believe what people will do. Back in the 1950's, my great-uncle visited his bedridden father once every week or two (at most, a 10 minute drive from the town out to the farm), taking two Coca-Colas to him each time. When my great-grandfather finally died, my great-uncle billed the estate for every Coke he took to his father, and for his gas and time.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 AM

128,564 posts, read 11,884,268 times
Her Dad is unbelievable, & so is the Uncle in the post above, billing for Colas. Anyhow, I agree on calling the Cancer Society they have a program, called rides for recovery, but she may not qualify, but it won't hurt to ask. Also, every state has to offer para transit, so look for the para transit agency in her town, & get her registered, then they will give her a ride, but she may have to make several transfers, as generally they will not go out of their own county, but will take you to the transfer point.

In order to qualify for the para transit, she will have to show/state some kind of disability, such as being unable to stand at a regular bus stop etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving