Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:44 PM

18,228 posts, read 16,845,451 times

Advertisements

So my wife will be out of town for 18 days and I'll be alone. I have a few health issues so I'm calling agencies for a around the clock companion of some sort but things are not going so good what with outrageous $$/per hour ($25 to start) and reliability questions. Does anyone have some suggestions as to alternate routes I might be able to take? Is it safe to run an ad and get a stranger? Are there boards where individuals can post a job notice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,492,959 times
My brother uses a GREAT service, but it is costly. 4 hour minimum, 20 per hour. He at one time found a site that matches caregivers to patients, and was willing in his case to pay more per hour to avoid the 8 hour a day minimum. He needed someone twice a day for about an hour.

Anyway, yes there are services like that. You state what you need and what you'd like to pay, like an ad. There is a cost to that service.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:00 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,492,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So my wife will be out of town for 18 days and I'll be alone. I have a few health issues so I'm calling agencies for a around the clock companion of some sort but things are not going so good what with outrageous $$/per hour ($25 to start) and reliability questions. Does anyone have some suggestions as to alternate routes I might be able to take? Is it safe to run an ad and get a stranger? Are there boards where individuals can post a job notice?
Would your insurance cover you going into a nursing home?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,060,649 times
Check with several assisted living facilities. We have some in our area that take people for short term stays (a week to a month) at fairly reasonable prices.

Call your local Council on Aging & Disability (it may have a similar name) and ask them. Our state even has some free respite care (112 hours per year) that you can sign up to receive.

Personally, I would not recommend allowing a stranger in your home but you may be able to find someone through friends or your church.

Agencies in my area charge about $25 an hour. Private hires are sometimes a little less $15 to $20 an hour, but usually charge $25 an hour.

Could you cobble together something through your friends and relatives? 18 days is pretty long, but maybe your friend Joe would stay with you for a few days and your nephew John for a week and your niece Mary for a week and your friend Kevin for the last few days? Depending what your needs are maybe you could arrange a combination of paid help during the day and friends staying with you overnight.

Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-13-2018 at 09:43 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 AM

294 posts, read 290,737 times
I agree to look at facilities that offer respite care. Some assisted living places offer that. It would probably be less expensive than 24 hour caregivers.

Individual caregivers 24/7 are very expensive. I know someone doing it and paying about $19 an hour. But it is different costs in different areas. The caregivers are available for shorter periods although that is a higher cost per hour. There is a minimum number of hours for a shift as well.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:19 AM

18,228 posts, read 16,845,451 times
Thank you for the helpful suggestions, everyone.

Jencam:

No, Medicare doesn't cover assisted living. It does cover 3 weeks in a nursing home, I think it is, after a hospital discharge but nothing for my situation.

germaine2626:

Assisted living is a good choice but most around here will not offer such short term. It's too much hassle for them to fill out all the paperwork unless they feel it's a permanent stay. I hear you about strangers. It's pretty scary these days, especially when you look at some of the profiles on websites offering services. Some of them look like they just got out of prison. They might be the kindest people in the world...but who knows?????? Far as relatives and friends go I have none. Actually I have lots but I don't know them and they are all back east.

Koshka2

Yep, shorter service time, greater cost, that's true. Going rate for my area from an agency $25 x 24 hours = 10K and here's the worst part: you have to pay upfront and the agency won't show you the profile of the person they plan to send. Often the person may not even show up. Then try to get your money back!! There's a reason why all those agencies have one star on Yelp.

I'm going to throw this out there for those who might be in my boat or know somebody in the same situation and reading this thread: a couple of helpful suggestions I garnered from someone that just might be helpful.

1. Check your local university job board and see if they have a nursing program with students willing to work on the side outside class hours.

2. Air B&B if the home's owner lives at the premise.

Just ask here if you want more details. Don't PM because mine is turned off.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:21 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,060,649 times
You mentioned AirBnB (with the homeowner on the premises). If someone just needs someone there in case of an emergency (to call 911 if you fall or something like that) that is a possibility. I have stayed in a number of AirBnBs where I think that the host would have been very willing to check on someone twice a day (or something like that) if they had just asked.

Another thing to look at (maybe) is a short term residential hotel (often with kitchens). They have staff available 24/7, so you would be able to call the desk if you need help. Plus they check the room/clean everyday. Heck, for the cost of home companion you may be able to stay in a regular hotel, with a full breakfast each day, and enjoy the swimming pool, etc. and just eat in local restaurants or have sandwiches etc. in your room. Of course, that depends on how much help you need.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:36 AM

695 posts, read 699,244 times
I like Germaine's idea of a residential hotel, if all you need is for someone to be around and to do housework. Some of them also provide breakfast.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:49 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,877,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You mentioned AirBnB (with the homeowner on the premises). If someone just needs someone there in case of an emergency (to call 911 if you fall or something like that) that is a possibility. I have stayed in a number of AirBnBs where I think that the host would have been very willing to check on someone twice a day (or something like that) if they had just asked.

Another thing to look at (maybe) is a short term residential hotel (often with kitchens). They have staff available 24/7, so you would be able to call the desk if you need help. Plus they check the room/clean everyday. Heck, for the cost of home companion you may be able to stay in a regular hotel, with a full breakfast each day, and enjoy the swimming pool, etc. and just eat in local restaurants or have sandwiches etc. in your room. Of course, that depends on how much help you need.

Good luck to you.
Good idea.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:31 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,025,333 times
Try Care.com It might be in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving