Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:33 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,530,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MismatchedSocks View Post
Thanks, but I'm only asking if anyone has any experience on whether it is SAFE. Like if you had a lift on the the outside of the home and you noticed harassment, or if you were robbed, etc.

Possibly my question doesn't have an answer. Overthinking 101 strikes again...

There's no way you can predict about safety issues, when the main element is strangers who might come by. Anything is possible, when people are the unknown in the situation. If you think there might be a risk to your mothers, by installing an outside chairlift, then you're probably right. I'd keep looking for a place that can accommodate the need indoors. That might also be a lot less expensive, than an outdoor, weatherproof installation. Even better, would be a residence where they didn't need to go upstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 12:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,495,646 times
No room for an interior elevator?

https://www.google.com/search?q=elev...&bih=612&dpr=3

Installation examples:

https://www.stiltzlifts.com/residential-elevator/

Old 06-01-2018, 07:02 AM

3,500 posts, read 6,139,658 times
No way would I put something like that outside in NYC. That is just asking for trouble. You know people are going to mess with it and vandalize it.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:05 AM

4,408 posts, read 3,421,107 times
It's funny you mention the "target" thing. My neighborhood has a lot of aging homeowners still here from when the area was developed 40 years ago. There are several homes that have been modified with ramps on the exterior and I have thought to myself "hmm, that screams 'vulnerable person inside.' So I think your concern is warranted. However a ramp would be less noticeable than a mechanical lift.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 AM

43 posts, read 48,728 times
We would much prefer a ramp, but most of the properties we've been close to purchasing don't have the necessary space to create one. Fifteen months on, we just need to buy a house and make it work... *sigh*

Old 06-01-2018, 12:38 PM

50,130 posts, read 35,782,086 times
Quote:
Hi,

Does anyone in a city have experience with putting a chair lift on the outside (main entrance) of the house? We live in New York City, and are looking for a multi-family property for ourselves and our elderly moms. Barely any properties that we have seen/can afford/have won the bidding on have walk-in units or backyard entrances.

I feel like it might be an invitation for trouble: "Hey, look, a defenseless old lady lives here!".

Appreciate your thoughts.
I live in a beach resort town and due to flooding most houses are elevated. We have had many patients get stair lift installed outside.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:12 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,376,198 times
Quote:
We would much prefer a ramp, but most of the properties we've been close to purchasing don't have the necessary space to create one. Fifteen months on, we just need to buy a house and make it work... *sigh*
Well there are hidden stair lifts but the front steps would have to be removed entirely and the lift installed. I assume it would also be pretty expensive and would require city permitting approval. Talk with chair lift companies and show them pictures. There maybe something that isn't quite so noticeable that someone walking by would think chair lift.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:46 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,806,673 times
Our neighbor across the street installed one, it slowly descends (or ascends) two small flights of wide masonry stairs (one level total) and one landing between bringing him directly to the sidewalk. I think he also has a similar set up inside as his house is multi-level.

It is mounted to the side of the garage, the brick steps and landing. His garage directly fronts the sidewalk- no driveway-and his house is attached townhouse-style to a similar one which shares the stairs so a fairly urban set up, still, it is not NYC urban. I imagine of course it is rated for outside but also the weather is milder out here to say the least. There is a custom vinyl cover which is over it rarely. Our city is quite strict about permitting but I bet he didn't bother, and nor would I.

Our area is very safe so no worries about home intruders or anything like that by the "vulnerable" aspect of its presence.

Last edited by T. Damon; 06-01-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving