Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Uh no, you did not cause the chaos and pain, they did by failing to plan and be realistic about their old age.
If they would have made appropriate plans, saved for retirement and moved in to housing that was suitable for them, they never would have been in the situation they're in now. It's all due to your parents' lack of planning and refusal to accept they're aging.

Not. Your. Fault.

Thanks for the update.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseco View Post
Thank you for the update. Your parents were already dependent (on you) for all the years they lived with you.
Now they are dependent on all of their children, and I'm thinking your siblings resent you a bit since you bore all of the burden before and they bore none.

It makes sense to me that you get waves of heartbreak, yet you appreciate being a little bit more removed.

I hope everyone continues to adjust; it sounds like a really good situation for both your parents and for you.
I agree. All those years your siblings did not have to do anything for their parents, as you handled everything, especially providing their housing. IMHO, your siblings are acting like spoiled brats because now they finally have to share the expense and work connected with having elderly parents, who did not save and plan well for their old age.

I am glad that they are enjoying their new house, although, I thought that you mentioned that they were going to be living with a daughter & SIL, who had a huge house that they did not share with anyone (if Africa did not work out).

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 05:07 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
It's a blessing your parents didn't leave the country, considering they are now experiencing health problems. That was expected due their age. Sad to read that your siblings are ostracizing you, though. I know that has to hurt. It probably won't last too long - at least I hope not. Keep your chin up and live your life. Try to grab some happiness before you get too old to remember what it feels like.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
I know my parents don't like the idea of being dependent but, they're just going to have to get used to it.
They were dependent all this time. On you.

Quote:
Occasionally I get this wave of heartbreak for my parents. Knowing I displaced them and caused such chaos and pain in their lives. I try to accept my emotions and allow to them wash through me and out.
You're doing good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving