Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We don't know anything about their financial situation, but we do know that there was apparently a lot of family drama and threats of violence for months leading up to this. We do know that the mom shot her son. Unless her actual life (as in living, breathing life) was threatened and she shot in self defense, or she is mentally incapacitated, there is absolutely no justification for this.
Yes.

And to you who say it is possible that son could have taken her assets, etc., you can at this point say that he might not have taken her assets. We simply do not know. The incontrovertible facts that we have are that she hid two guns in her robe, shot her son dead, and apparently was going to shoot herself or the GF with the other.

These are not the actions of a blameless person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 04:26 PM

671 posts, read 853,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 92-year-old woman is facing multiple charges after she allegedly shot and killed her son in Fountain Hills, Arizona on Monday because she refused to be admitted into an assisted living facility.

According to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, around 10 a.m., deputies responded to a call of an unknown trouble at a home near Palisades and Saguaro boulevards.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/na...?autoplay=true

Executive order- effective immediately, no guns are legal for ownership by private citizens. This has got to stop. I am tired of reading about shootings. I live not far from Fountain Hills. It is a very nice area so this has nothing to do with poverty or illegal immigration. Guns kill people.

An elderly lady with potential cognitive decline should not even have access to guns.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Don't hold your breath.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:03 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Executive order- effective immediately, no guns are legal for ownership by private citizens. This has got to stop. I am tired of reading about shootings. I live not far from Fountain Hills. It is a very nice area so this has nothing to do with poverty or illegal immigration. Guns kill people.

Unfortunately, in essence. what you're saying is illegal possession of firearms by anyone would be the only recourse citizens would have to possess firearms. Not good, bona fide criminals already have access to as many guns as needed and are many times the impetus of trafficking and peddling of those firearms.

An elderly lady with potential cognitive decline should not even have access to guns.
I agree guns are made for killing...hunting of wildlife and people as well, sadly. No she should not have had access to the guns (although, supposedly, they were her guns) and maybe her son didn't even know she had them nor the girlfriend for that matter. If they had knowledge of her having guns then I feel the onus should have been on Thomas and/or the girlfriend to be rid of them, in the interest of everyone's safety ...water under the bridge now, at least until her trial begins.

I read that Blessing told police she had owned the two guns, a revolver and a .25 caliber pistol, since the 1970s. She said the revolver was bought at a gun store and the pistol was given to her by her husband Billy Blessing before he died (in Florida, 2007) and she hadn’t fired either of the weapons since the 1970s, according to court documents. She stored the two handguns on the floor, under a shelf in her bedroom according to the arrest report.

I also read that Anna Mae Blessing and her son Thomas lived in the condo owned by the girlfriend, sort of speaks volumes about the recently departed Thomas Blessing, may he rest in peace. It's no wonder Thomas believed his mother was becoming too difficult, not surprising she became the odd man out in this arrangement, third wheel, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't hold your breath.
I agree Kathryn but if legal gun ownership ever comes to extinction (which I don't think we'll see in our lifetimes) then illegal possession will be the same methods that criminals and their enterprises use. If that's what it comes to then I think there will be no other alternative for law abiding citizens...becoming NOT law abiding.

For the record I am deathly afraid of guns, do not own one nor does anyone in my family own one...but I do believe in the rights of law abiding citizens owning a gun; until such day those rights are uniformly removed from our State and Federal language and Laws. I then believe there will be anarchy and chaos the likes we've yet to see.

As I always say, JMHO, of course.

Gun laws in the United States by state

Gun laws in the United States regulate the sale, possession, and use of firearms and ammunition. State laws (and the laws of Washington, D.C. and the U.S. territories) vary considerably, and are independent of existing federal firearms laws, although they are sometimes broader or more limited in scope than the federal laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...tates_by_state

How Gun Traffickers Get Around State Gun Laws

In response to mass shootings in the last few years, more than 20 states, including some of the nation’s biggest, have passed new laws restricting how people can buy and carry guns. Yet the effect of those laws has been significantly diluted by a thriving underground market for firearms brought from states with few restrictions.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-gun-laws.html

Illegal Guns Statistics Overview

According to gunfacts.info, there were approximately 100,000 people convicted of "unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle each year." The point of this number is to prove that simply because something is licensed does not mean that unlicensed individuals will actually obey the regulations.

https://gun.laws.com/illegal-guns/il...uns-statistics

Crime and Guns - We are neither pro-gun or anti-gun. We are pro-math and anti-BS

Basic to the debates on gun control is the fact that most violent crime is committed by repeat offenders. Dealing with recidivism is key to solving violence.
71% of gunshot victims had previous arrest records.
64% had been convicted of a crime.
Each had an average of 11 prior arrests.
63% of victims had criminal histories and 73% of that group knew their assailant (twice as often as victims without criminal histories).
74% of homicides during the commission of a felony involve guns.

Gun Facts | Gun Control and Crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving