Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Its not an imminent concern. She wouldn't be able to self pay from her yearly income. She would be able to self pay from her income supplemented by her assets for a while.....unknown how long at this point.

I'm just looking at various scenarios that could develop down the road and trying to make sure we do the smartest thing with her money.

She may never need or qualify for Medicaid, but there is a reasonable possibility she would.
Frankly, IMHO, everyone (except maybe multi-millionaires) should be thinking ahead about maybe needing Medicaid some time in the future. The cheapest memory care facilities (in my medium COL area) cost about $7,000 a month so two years of self pay would be $168,000, add in medical bills and medications and that is a very substantial figure.

While most elderly people are only in facilities a fairly short time, before they pass away, I have met several people whose loved one was in a facility for 10 or 15 years (one close to 20 years).

BTW, the most expensive memory care facility, in my area, is about $14,000 a month or $336,000 for two years (but they never accept Medicaid so once you run out of money you are kicked out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 02:35 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Frankly, IMHO, everyone (except maybe multi-millionaires) should be thinking ahead about maybe needing Medicaid some time in the future. The cheapest memory care facilities (in my medium COL area) cost about $7,000 a month so two years of self pay would be $168,000, add in medical bills and medications and that is a very substantial figure.

While most elderly people are only in facilities a fairly short time, before they pass away, I have met several people whose loved one was in a facility for 10 or 15 years (one close to 20 years).

BTW, the most expensive memory care facility, in my area, is about $14,000 a month or $336,000 for two years (but they never accept Medicaid so once you run out of money you are kicked out).
I agree. Unless as you said, you are a multi-millionaire, or someone with guaranteed income that would always exceed the cost of a nursing home, or someone with long term care insurance and/or income that would cover self pay indefinitely why would you not consider the possibility of your money running out and needing Medicaid.

Like you I know people who have been in nursing homes for 10 or more years and most of them were women in my mother's family! As I said, she has a history of longevity in her family. Several women living to mid to late 90's and a couple to 100.

I can also forsee a situation where my mother wants to stay at home and my sister enables that long past the point she is capable of dealing with it necessitating one or more shifts of home health care aides which is probably even more expensive and will burn through my mom's money more quickly.

In any case, I always plan for the worst case/most expensive case and make back up plans from there. Not sure why anyone would do anything less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving