U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:51 PM

875 posts, read 461,650 times

Advertisements

While much of what comes up from Google searches on Meyers Cocktails is essentially Hangover Helper for younger people, there are other applications, for example, fort the elderly to regain strength.

We are just in the beginning stages of researching this and there is probably a better name for this kind of treatment, if you have heard anything good or bad please pass it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
I would suggest posting in the Caregiving forum, you'll find people with the experience you're looking for.

I have moved this thread from Health and Wellness to Caregiving.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-09-2018 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 10:01 PM

1,036 posts, read 619,829 times
seems to be some IV fluid, a couple electrolytes, b vitamins and vitamin c.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 PM

5,072 posts, read 6,225,432 times
I love, love, love Myers Cocktails. I battled a serious infection a couple years ago, and had 3 MDs recommend them to me, in addition to the antibiotics I was taking.

I really do think that they help boost your immune system. I was horribly sick for a long time, and they always made me feel better. I would still get them regularly if cost wasn't a factor.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the replies, and I will see if I can get a Mod or Admin to move this to the right subforum

Old 10-08-2018, 07:23 PM

13,336 posts, read 7,115,490 times
I literally just heard about this from a friend in Las Vegas last weekend who got one for his hangover! He said it cost him $200 but he got it from a doc in the spa section of his hotel. 30 minute IV with electrolytes, magnesium, B vitamins, and amino acids. He said he felt fantastic and had extra energy for 3 days after his "out drinking from 4pm to 4am bacchanal".

Old 10-08-2018, 07:59 PM

7,646 posts, read 5,402,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post

We are just in the beginning stages of researching this and there is probably a better name for this kind of treatment, if you have heard anything good or bad please pass it on.
Who is "WE"?

What research??

Old 10-08-2018, 09:15 PM

18,756 posts, read 6,119,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
While much of what comes up from Google searches on Meyers Cocktails is essentially Hangover Helper for younger people, there are other applications, for example, fort the elderly to regain strength.

I don't this protocol is done in the allopathic medicine world. I know it is in integrative clinics and naturopath clinics.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:29 AM

13,336 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't this protocol is done in the allopathic medicine world. I know it is in integrative clinics and naturopath clinics.
Sure it is! ERs are known to give alcoholics "banana bags" -

We’re all pretty familiar with the banana bag: intravenous (IV) fluids with the addition of thiamine, folic acid, multivitamins, and sometimes magnesium. Banana bags are commonly utilized in patients at risk for alcohol withdrawal symptoms or those who present to the emergency department (ED) acutely intoxicated.

The rationale behind ordering banana bags for these patients is relatively simple–alcoholics are likely to have nutritional deficiencies related to their dietary preferences for alcohol over nutrient-dense foods, putting them at risk for complications. Furthermore, the administration of fluids is conventionally believed to help speed up sobriety.

Whether or not a banana bag actually accomplishes those results is up for debate, but they're somewhat routinely used by "regular" aka allopathic docs.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Whether or not a banana bag actually accomplishes those results is up for debate, but they're somewhat routinely used by "regular" aka allopathic docs.
Thanks for this.

I have family outside the US who have had this treatment which had significant, positive effects for an elderly person.

From what I hear it is available in the US and my original post was in the Westchester NY subforum (because there is no Rockland NY subforum) to try and find a visiting practitioner there for another elderly family member who might benefit from this kind of treatment.

Due to the lack of responses it was suggested to move the thread to another forum, then, this one, to see if we could get a a practitioner referral.

On a separate note, while neither an alcoholic nor much of a drinker, once after a long bought of the flu I made the mistake of drinking too much too soon after. Dragged myself to the hospital when I woke up feeling like death warmed over the next day. I was put on an IV and given some shot and other medicine and I was able to walk out of there feeling much better after a couple hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or