Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:19 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
So, he wants all of the house? That is why he insists on doing this? How would he get 'screwed' out of his share by siblings?
I think we're getting down to the nitty-gritty, now.

OP, who's the executor of the will? Mom has a will; she must have named someone as executor. And how good a relationship does your husband have, with whoever it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 08:37 PM

6,682 posts, read 4,666,560 times
If I was in OP's situation and my DH told me I should leave if I didn't like it I would be right out the door. Odds are good her DH would be begging her to come back before very long when he and SIL had to fill her shoes.

Her father is getting up there. I think she needs to tell her DH that she needs to spend a little one on one time with him before it is too late. It doesn't have to be on Xmas, it can be a week or two before.

As for the inheritance.......if his siblings are the type to try to screw him out of his share........ They will do it whether he is living in the house or not. And if his Mother isn't at death's door, she may live for many more years depending on the type and progression of her dementia.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
If I was in OP's situation and my DH told me I should leave if I didn't like it I would be right out the door. Odds are good her DH would be begging her to come back before very long when he and SIL had to fill her shoes.

Her father is getting up there. I think she needs to tell her DH that she needs to spend a little one on one time with him before it is too late. It doesn't have to be on Xmas, it can be a week or two before.

As for the inheritance.......if his siblings are the type to try to screw him out of his share........ They will do it whether he is living in the house or not. And if his Mother isn't at death's door, she may live for many more years depending on the type and progression of her dementia.
That would be the wrong reason to beg her to come back. If she were to move out, he should be begging her to come back for the sake of the marriage, for his love for her, not because she's a self-sacrificing caregiver to the point of endangering her own health. This guy's priorities are topsy-turvy. I would hope, that if she left, he'd realized he'd screwed up majorly, and would be apologizing profusely, promising her that they'll move away together. Far away, out of the reach of family drama.

And yes, he needs to arrange for care of his parent, while she cares for HER parent.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:29 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,405,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That would be the wrong reason to beg her to come back. If she were to move out, he should be begging her to come back for the sake of the marriage, for his love for her, not because she's a self-sacrificing caregiver to the point of endangering her own health. This guy's priorities are topsy-turvy. I would hope, that if she left, he'd realized he'd screwed up majorly, and would be apologizing profusely, promising her that they'll move away together. Far away, out of the reach of family drama.

And yes, he needs to arrange for care of his parent, while she cares for HER parent.
He's 16 years into his investment. He isn't going to leave it now.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:42 PM

605 posts, read 332,379 times
My prayers are with you. Wow. What a rough situation, hang in there

Yes, who is the executor? If it's your husband, that's better.

You need to see an elder law attorney as soon as you can

It's been 16 years now, don't make mistakes cutting your husband out of his inheritance

Cannot blame him for sticking around but so sorry it's at your expense.

When someone is low income, well, they'd be dumb to cave in now.

Dementia and 90 yrs old? Might as well stick it out

Hospitals have grief support groups. YOur MIL is essentially dementia so has died.

A good group and you'll find some which had to be executors of estates, and maybe some advice.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 PM

605 posts, read 332,379 times
If your husband remains in the home, medicaid may not be able to take it.

Once he moves, who-ever is in the home might get to stay

Much of this depends upon your states medicaid laws

But she could end up using up all of her money

Then after her death, they may come for the home

Generally if it is a hardship to where a child is poor and living there at her time of death playing care-giver, then medicaid cannot seize the house. At least in California but there's been new laws in the last 5-6 yrs since we did hospice and I was an executor of his estate.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:59 PM

15,240 posts, read 12,804,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturngoddess View Post
I also feel I am doing most of the work when it comes to the MIL than my husband is doing. My SIL does it in the afternoon from her nap, then we do it at night cause SIL goes to school. SIL is always in my business. I have no privacy and hubby won’t say anything because that is her and she’s an alien.

If I get mad, then he tells me to leave and move somewhere else.
My husband doesn't DARE say that to me because he knows I WILL. You know how he knows? Because I've already left him once. And I'll do it again if he goes back to being a butthead.

Your husband tells you to leave because he knows you won't. Time to change your game. Start packing. As long as you stay in that situation, you allow them all to abuse you.

Time to get down a suitcase and start filling it.

You don't want to. I know. It's easier not to. And you feel guilty about running out on your MIL. But what do you think will change when your MIL dies? Sis will still be there riding roughshod over you and your husband will allow it.

Reclaim your life. Dump his sorry ass.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,947,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My husband doesn't DARE say that to me because he knows I WILL. You know how he knows? Because I've already left him once. And I'll do it again if he goes back to being a butthead.

Your husband tells you to leave because he knows you won't. Time to change your game. Start packing. As long as you stay in that situation, you allow them all to abuse you.

You don't want to. I know. It's easier not to. And you feel guilty about running out on your MIL. But what do you think will change when your MIL dies? Sis will still be there riding roughshod over you and your husband will allow it.

Well said. Three thumbs up.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:19 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,405,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Finances are a problem. Even with no rent, they are short on money. http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...mazon-can.html

Old 12-01-2018, 12:24 AM

10,004 posts, read 11,065,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
MIL sounds like one tough cookie. Me personally, I'd have moved out 15 years ago.
ditto ...

And frankly I feel sorry for those poor kids being yanked out of school like that for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving