Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times

Advertisements

New York Times ran an article on two sisters who tricked their mother into a nursing home.

link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We finally have a care plan conference on Tuesday. Maybe they will give us some meaningful information. Meanwhioe PT is helping with the symptoms.. He was able to walk without a walker or assistance today. He says he cna get up by himself too, but they will not let him We will probably never know what happened.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:46 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Charmed, do you live in NYC or SF? I've never seen prices that high!
I live in north eastern PA by way of NYC. My grandmother is down in south central PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't live in NYC or SF. Twenty years ago, when my late husband was in a "nursing home" and had reached the maximum number of days for which Medicare would pay, the facility decided that overnight he had improved so much that he would be transferred to the ALF side. The monthly cost was $1,375/mo. This is northeastern Pennsylvania.

It being twenty years later, I have to believe that the price for this is substantially higher. I have had no reason to find out how much higher.
Medicare copay after day 20 is around $160 per day with their approval to stay. Which they said no go to.

We’re waiting on Medicaid approval to cover ALF. $8,000-12,000 is the going rate in the NYC metro area along with NEPA and SC PA. With PA’s filial responsibility law, she’s home until we hear from Medicaid which is at minimum 2 month waiting period.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:17 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I live in north eastern PA by way of NYC. My grandmother is down in south central PA.

Medicare copay after day 20 is around $160 per day with their approval to stay. Which they said no go to.

We’re waiting on Medicaid approval to cover ALF. $8,000-12,000 is the going rate in the NYC metro area along with NEPA and SC PA. With PA’s filial responsibility law, she’s home until we hear from Medicaid which is at minimum 2 month waiting period.
Those are everywhere. They are rarely ever used.

They were initially derived from England’s 16th century “Poor Laws.” At one time, as many as 45 U.S. states had statutes obligating an adult child to care for his or her parents. Some states repealed their filial support laws after Medicaid took a greater role in providing relief to elderly patients without means. Other states did not, and a large number of filial support laws remain dormant on the books.

There was a case in 2012 where the lady ditched a nursing home and moved to Greece. Flat out left the bill high and dry. The home went after the son - he knew she had left. I think they were both idiots.
But that is a rare rare case.

Still, I agree - I would not put her in a home with no funds to pay for it.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Those are everywhere. They are rarely ever used.

They were initially derived from England’s 16th century “Poor Laws.” At one time, as many as 45 U.S. states had statutes obligating an adult child to care for his or her parents. Some states repealed their filial support laws after Medicaid took a greater role in providing relief to elderly patients without means. Other states did not, and a large number of filial support laws remain dormant on the books.

There was a case in 2012 where the lady ditched a nursing home and moved to Greece. Flat out left the bill high and dry. The home went after the son - he knew she had left. I think they were both idiots.
But that is a rare rare case.

Still, I agree - I would not put her in a home with no funds to pay for it.
It may be rare, but as noted by your own research, PA can and will enforce the filial law. Personally, I'm not willing to be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars or more.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
It may be rare, but as noted by your own research, PA can and will enforce the filial law. Personally, I'm not willing to be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars or more.
PA enforced it rightfully in my opinion. That was the case I spoke of. It’s the only time it’s been enforced there, at least that I could find. To willfully and knowingly aid ones parents in fraud, well, no one should be surprised that the state would enforce the law in such an instance.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
He was discharged from the PT rehab center and is walking well. Living with us for a week or so, then he plans to go back to his former lifestyle. He will have In home nursing care and PT for 30 days, that is all insurance allows. At least he has agreed to get a button (actually some sort of apple watch that can detect falls. Also they may put cameras in his driveway and kitchen so we can check on him online from time to time via internet. kind of big brothery, but also a pretty good idea. I guess it is pretty common now.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
He was discharged from the PT rehab center and is walking well. Living with us for a week or so, then he plans to go back to his former lifestyle. He will have In home nursing care and PT for 30 days, that is all insurance allows. At least he has agreed to get a button (actually some sort of apple watch that can detect falls. Also they may put cameras in his driveway and kitchen so we can check on him online from time to time via internet. kind of big brothery, but also a pretty good idea. I guess it is pretty common now.
So glad to hear your Dad is on the mend! I hope you all enjoy the holidays together.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Thank you for the update Coldjensens. Hopefully the measures put in place will mitigate many of these issues (or make them easier to deal with). Wishing you the best going forward.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
PA enforced it rightfully in my opinion. That was the case I spoke of. It’s the only time it’s been enforced there, at least that I could find. To willfully and knowingly aid ones parents in fraud, well, no one should be surprised that the state would enforce the law in such an instance.
That’s the best known case. The local County Department of Aging Office informed is that on average, nearly all filial responsibility is enforced with ALD, long term care, skilled nursing, etc. . Anything from pennies to thousands each year. Most don’t make it up court as it’s a loosing battle. Far too many people don’t realize that 1- the law is in the books 2- its enforced.

Eori vs Eori is a more recent case involving one sibling suing another for monies to help their mother. Judgement in favor of sibling petitioning for support. Here’s another case where the adult child was in PA and next of kin in NJ. https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201801280035
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving