Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:11 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

I want to drive peacefully like my grandfather did, not screaming and clutching the door handles like the passengers in his car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I'm 80 and went thru a knee issue which damaged my knee so much that I have a tough time walking. I use a walker. I guess I could drive if I really pushed it, but when I was in my 70's I was getting sick of the traffic and costs of auto up keep. So with the help of some friends in my apt bldg I decided to sell my car. Stipulation is if I ever buy another car (which I won't) I will get my parking space back. My fear is that my knee could get stuck etc and I really could get in trouble behind the wheel.

I'm saving a lot of money too, before I was taking money out of savings to support my car, not now.

It's actually a relief not to have that burden anymore. Some days wish I had it but then I make it thru, friends help me and I have to get to using Lyft social program in our town...I drove about 60 yrs...

Some are so stubborn about giving up their keys.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No

Fill out a form and mail it in.

A doctor can restrict their driving if they deem then unsafe. He will then report the restriction to the SS and they will record it.

That's not true in every state. I tried to report an extremely disabled, demented, unsafe driver in Illinois, and was told that they had no provision for reporting unsafe elderly drivers.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No

Fill out a form and mail it in.

A doctor can restrict their driving if they deem then unsafe. He will then report the restriction to the SS and they will record it.
What state is this in?

A quick Google search doesn't turn up a single state where a doctor can restrict driving by filling out a form and mailing it in.

Even if it was possible, hard to imagine any physician opening this can of worms. At best, they might provide an opinion pressed by family.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 AM

Drivers age 70 and older have higher crash rates per mile traveled than than middle-aged drivers.

"They’re more likely than most drivers to die in a crash."

"Per mile traveled, fatal crash rates increase noticeably starting at age 70-74 and are highest among drivers who are 85 and older, according to a 2015 study in Accident Analysis and Prevention, an industry journal."

https://www.valuepenguin.com/2017/10...an-do-about-it

I talked with our parents about the risks they were taking with their own lives. Made no difference.

Then we talked about how would they feel if they accidentally killed one of their grandchildren or a friend. They waved me off.

But the deciding factor was the number of minor mishaps that convinced them to hang up their keys.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:17 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What state is this in?

A quick Google search doesn't turn up a single state where a doctor can restrict driving by filling out a form and mailing it in.

Even if it was possible, hard to imagine any physician opening this can of worms. At best, they might provide an opinion pressed by family.
Florida for one.

“Any physician, person, or agency having knowledge of any licensed driver’s or applicant’s mental or physical disability to drive . . . is authorized to report such knowledge to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

When reporting an individual whose driving ability is questionable due to some physical or mental deficit or disorder, please complete as much of the information listed below as possible:"

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/72190.pdf

Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
If taking away the car keys is illegal, then I'll commit the crime. It's better than a parent being charged with a crime when they kill someone. (If anyone has an actual stories of someone being charged and convicted of a crime when they took a parent's keys away, please post links to the stories.)

I don't think anyone has to worry about this. At best it would be considered a "defense of necessity."

Separately I don't know what texting has to do with any of this. Texting is an intentional act.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:28 AM

As a side note, C-D is odd. We have threads filled with young people telling us we shouldn't drive, and in the one thread dealing with senior issues, we're emphatically told that they should drive.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:53 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
In some instances (experience in ALF/NH's), this car-key issue comes down to a balance between preserving one's sense of independence to get-out and drive one's self somewhere - and the likelihood of that happening. This can sometimes be accomplished by leaving the car and keys where they are, and removing the distributor cap or ??. I've seen cases where this brings peace of mind to the 'children,' yet maintains the dignity and sense of independence of the 'parent' - while the vehicle never moves from the parking lot.

Of course, if one is truly dealing with an active driver, who is a danger to themselves and others, a different (more difficult) approach is necessary. How one approaches this issue is important. Simply demanding that an older person stop driving and relinquish their car keys, is rarely a viable approach. Keep in mind, not all 80+-year old's are automatically rendered unable to drive safely or make reasonable decisions.

Calmly expressing concern and providing specifically observed examples (tickets, accidents, etc) -- while respectfully encouraging alternative transportation (ie; Uber, Lyft, etc) - is more likely to produce a workable solution. Older folks are usually keenly aware of their limitations, but, don't want to be a burden on others or lose their own sense of independence.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:58 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
we just had a case in this area where an 89yo turned around and headed the wrong way down the interstate, eventually hitting and killing a much younger person in another car. My second thought, after how tragic, was GIANT lawsuit. Anyone who was expecting to inherit from Grandpa's estate can kiss that goodbye. Maybe that thought would be enough to take someone's driving privilege away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving